Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
09 supercharged SRT running poorly. Lagging when I give throttle. Replaced upstream o2 sensors. Still throwing p0052, p0420, and p0430 codes. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,016 Posts
09 supercharged SRT running poorly. Lagging when I give throttle. Replaced upstream o2 sensors. Still throwing p0052, p0420, and p0430 codes. Any ideas?
The guidelines for P0420/P0430 (converter operating below efficiency threshold) is if any O2 sensor errors are present (or pending) to replace the indicated sensors and clear the codes and road test the car.

If the P0420/P0430 error comes back replace the indicated converters.

Since you just replaced the #1 sensors on both banks and are getting a P0052 error code: HO2S Heater Control Circuit High (Bank 2 Sensor 1); either the #1 sensor on bank #2 sensor is bad or the sensor/wiring harness connector is bad or the harness is bad or possibly the engine controller is bad.

(In my experience with other brands of cars the O2 sensor connectors can be a real bear to disconnect and then reconnect. Suggest you revisit the connector and confirm the two connectors are fully, well, connected.)

While it is rare a new sensor can be bad out of the box. A bad harness or bad engine controller are very rare. 'course, if you weren't careful about static electricity...

Address the error codes, get those eliminated and then if the poor running is still present, that's another post I think.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The guidelines for P0420/P0430 (converter operating below efficiency threshold) is if any O2 sensor errors are present (or pending) to replace the indicated sensors and clear the codes and road test the car.

If the P0420/P0430 error comes back replace the indicated converters.

Since you just replaced the #1 sensors on both banks and are getting a P0052 error code: HO2S Heater Control Circuit High (Bank 2 Sensor 1); either the #1 sensor on bank #2 sensor is bad or the sensor/wiring harness connector is bad or the harness is bad or possibly the engine controller is bad.

(In my experience with other brands of cars the O2 sensor connectors can be a real bear to disconnect and then reconnect. Suggest you revisit the connector and confirm the two connectors are fully, well, connected.)

While it is rare a new sensor can be bad out of the box. A bad harness or bad engine controller are very rare. 'course, if you weren't careful about static electricity...

Address the error codes, get those eliminated and then if the poor running is still present, that's another post I think.
Going back through some old posts and saw this gem. Gonna give you an update. My email tune was crap. Could never get timing and air fuel tables set right. Found a performance shop 120 miles from home, loaded Challenger on a trailer,
and took her down there. A little tweeking on the tune and my new tuner got things lined out. She runs great now.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,016 Posts
Going back through some old posts and saw this gem. Gonna give you an update. My email tune was crap. Could never get timing and air fuel tables set right. Found a performance shop 120 miles from home, loaded Challenger on a trailer,
and took her down there. A little tweeking on the tune and my new tuner got things lined out. She runs great now.

Thanks for the update. Glad to read you got it sorted.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,848 Posts
When replacing O2 sensors make sure they are replaced with OEM and aftermarket ones. The folks over at HP tuners have run into issues using aftermarket sensors...I cannot find the post but something to do with how aftermarket sensors are grounded compared...or something to that effect.

Your problem might be due to the tune itself. For example if COT (Cat Over Temp) is not disabled or temp raise the PCM thinks the cats are running to hot and commands more fuel. Most tunes disable p0420/30 DTC in the PCM. These codes generally show up if you are running high flow cats or cat less. Although if the car ran fine before this might not be your problem. Then again if the tune was on the lean side, it could be the cats are damaged.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthre...eleting-Option&p=471914&viewfull=1#post471914

Ah, here is the link about the aftermarket O2 sensors
https://forum.hptuners.com/showthre...shots-attached&p=512456&viewfull=1#post512456

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When replacing O2 sensors make sure they are replaced with OEM and aftermarket ones. The folks over at HP tuners have run into issues using aftermarket sensors...I cannot find the post but something to do with how aftermarket sensors are grounded compared...or something to that effect.

Your problem might be due to the tune itself. For example if COT (Cat Over Temp) is not disabled or temp raise the PCM thinks the cats are running to hot and commands more fuel. Most tunes disable p0420/30 DTC in the PCM. These codes generally show up if you are running high flow cats or cat less. Although if the car ran fine before this might not be your problem. Then again if the tune was on the lean side, it could be the cats are damaged.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthre...eleting-Option&p=471914&viewfull=1#post471914

Ah, here is the link about the aftermarket O2 sensors
https://forum.hptuners.com/showthre...shots-attached&p=512456&viewfull=1#post512456
Had to replace one 02 sensor. Everything running fine after tune. so glad to have her back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts