Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my car gave out on me in the freeway. Started hearing metal clanking and before I notice dashboard light comes on and there’s white smoke coming out of my car. Called towing company and when they lifted my car all the oil came out. There is a hole in the engine block. What do you guys think? Salvageable ?it’s sort of near the transmission

·
Super Moderator
15,138 Posts
How many miles did you have on your engine and what was its displacement? Unfortunately, you need to look for a new engine. Maybe you can upgrade?

Excessive wear, in very high-mileage cars, can lower oil pressure enough to cause a rod bearing to spin out of its bearing cap on the crankshaft due to friction (i.e., a lack of lubrication).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How many miles did you have on your engine and what was its displacement? Unfortunately, it is now toast.

Excessive wear in very high-mileage vehicles can systemically lower oil pressure enough to cause a rod bearing to spin out of its bearing cap on the crankshaft due to friction (i.e., a lack of lubrication).
The engine only had about 60k miles, I checked the oil maybe a week ago and everything was fine. I was in 5th gear going about 70

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
If money is an object, my guess is that you will be best off finding a solid used motor and do a 1:1 swap. You will be on the road quicker, with less hassle and for the least amount of money.

If money is less of an object, you can find a used engine, tear it down and rebuild with any performance mods you want. Sky is the limit on this one.

Pick your poison.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If money is an object, my guess is that you will be best off finding a solid used motor and do a 1:1 swap. You will be on the road quicker, with less hassle and for the least amount of money.

If money is less of an object, you can find a used engine, tear it down and rebuild with any performance mods you want. Sky is the limit on this one.

Pick your poison.
Where would I be able to find a good used motor ? Most online places want about 8k for the motor

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
1,698 Posts
Time for a new Block and Engine Buildup. Check on your local Craigslist , Offerup, see if any local Mopar Groups and see if any member has
an Engine for Sale that you can save on. Local Salvage yards but many times now they are nutz on prices.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T 392 6 speed manual
247 Posts
There is always risk when buying a used motor unless you break it down and build it back up, which you are trying to avoid by purchasing a used one. I don’t know if you have the means yourself or can find a shop that would pull the engine and tear it down. Then you know what you have. You will need a new block but maybe the heads, exhaust manifolds, and intake are good. You could probably get it rebuilt for less than 8k and maybe swap in a different cam if you want some additional power, or whatever else you might want.

That might be a better option depending on what is bad. If it’s all shot, well, the engine had to come out anyway and you have room for a new, used one.

·
Super Moderator
16,867 Posts
that engine is history.

probably had a rod bearing spin, which starved it of oil and when it seized it broke the connecting rod.

the crankshaft and block are probably beyond salvage / rebuild when the rod broke through the oil pan
(I thought that looked like an M6 inspection cover on the bellhousing)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts