Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
If this all works out for $250 I want to come to where you are and just have you touch my head and bless me. You are, right now, the luckiest Mo Fo I know.........Seriously, good luck. My '21 RT just got out of the body shop after a $10,310 front end 'fender bender!!!!'

·
Registered
2020 Octane Red SXT
75 Posts
Ive seen worse. Now if the rod came out the block, nope, new engine. Something out the oil pan, Ive seen fixed but it's on a case by case basis. At this point without a warranty, what harm is there in pocking around and see what really happened. Just be sure to post the carnage.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
8,987 Posts
Great news everyone. Apparently I purchased an mrc coverage plan from the credit union so if all goes well what would have cost 12k will now be 250
I hope they approve the engine repair/replacement, I really do. But given what I know about 3rd party service contracts, I am not optimistic you will get them to cover this, not without a helluva fight anyway.

They will likely do everything they can to get out of covering the cost of getting the car running again, and they’ll definitely choose the cheapest of any options presented to get there.

I wish you the best of luck with this, please keep us updated with how it progresses.

Nuke

·
Super Moderator
15,260 Posts
Hopefully, your warranty will cover the new engine. If not, you can buy a complete 6.4 engine from a salvage yard. A used engine, with 70,000 miles, can be purchased for around $7,000.

If you want a new engine, a 6.4 long block can be purchased from Summit Racing for $9,315.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,285 Posts
Screw a used engine. Mopar Performance part number: 68303090AA $9054.00 for a brand new crate engine. I would not spend half of that on a used engine. Even if I had to let the car sit in the corner of the garage for a year to save up for it. If you work for a place with a tow motor, get it delivered there, if you can. Load it on a company truck, if available and take it home. Borrow a buddy's cherry picker or rent one. Better yet see if a local dealer will price match and have them install it. Done and Done.
Talk to @stevewhite about getting it in and trailering your car to them. Your local dealer probably can not price match then with the CHA1 code.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Waiting to hear back from the shop whether they will approve the repair or not. On a side note shop is charging about 1k for rear brake service (pads, brake lines, hoses) and differential service(new fluid) is that reasonable ? Feel like I can do it myself for half the price

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Yeah I was thinking that too. I mean the brake stuff is pretty simple and I feel like I can knock it out quickly

Also here are some pictures

·
Premium Member
10,265 Posts
Waiting to hear back from the shop whether they will approve the repair or not. On a side note shop is charging about 1k for rear brake service (pads, brake lines, hoses) and differential service(new fluid) is that reasonable ? Feel like I can do it myself for half the price
The brakes (way high price) don’t matter right now, I’d make them focus on convincing the warranty company to step up and honor what you paid for.
Then I’d discuss the brakes and say it sounds like a lot.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
4.14 here. 24.5 MPG. 797. Not bad numbers.

Get your wallet. These days are numbers. Someday we will look back. It’s 70 again.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Good for you! I'm always a believer in the extended warranties.
I agree whole-heartedly. I turn down extended warranties on just about everything they are offered on these days.......really who needs an extended warranty on something from Home Depot or Staples that cost $100 or less anyway?

Cars and trucks though.....especially anything with lots of optional equipment and electronics makes for an easy choice to buy an extended warranty.

NOTHING and I do mean just about nothing is easy to work on these days and lot of it can't be done for less than $1,000 a whack and it's often more when things do fail.

A factory backed extended warranty is really the only way to go these days, IMO, unless you are the kind of buyer who'll be flipping in and then out of your cars often enough to never be exposed to a lack of original warranty bumper to bumper coverage.

·
Premium Member
10,265 Posts
That’s great news, looking forward to you posting up that it’s done and back in your possession.

·
Premium Member
2011 R/T 6M Bright White, 590whp 490wtq, Whipple 10psi, 274 cam, 1 7/8 LT headers, 429 gears
1,249 Posts
Where would I be able to find a good used motor ? Most online places want about 8k for the motor
Check out LKQ... They use Ebay, good engines in the 6k range. If you are okay going with used. If not the long block suggestion from MMX is your best bet, IMHO.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts