Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, today I was out running errands in my 2015 r/t challenger (auto) and about an hour into driving I noticed a Muffled thumping sound when accelerating from being stopped. I noticed that it only happens after the car is fully heated up and only between 500-3000rpms at the lower gears and then it disappears after it shifts to 3rd (or the car is too loud to hear it). As I accelerate the thumping gets faster And faster until it goes away. It doesn’t make the sound when decelerating, idle or when I rev it in park or neutral, it is only when the car is moving.
I just got the “oil change required” message on the dash last night and was going to get an oil change Monday when everything opens again but I doubt that would be the problem in anyway as the oil level is at safe and colour looks normal.
I have been running 87 and conventional oil but will be switching to synthetic tomorrow.
Any advice or help is appreciated, thank you.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
If you are willing...

Crawl under there when its cold, grab the driveshaft either from the trans side (mid car) or the diff side (tail end) and see if its super easy to shake up/down/lft/right by hand. It kind of sounds like my driveshaft did when the carrier went out

How many miles on the car?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you are willing...

Crawl under there when its cold, grab the driveshaft either from the trans side (mid car) or the diff side (tail end) and see if its super easy to shake up/down/lft/right by hand. It kind of sounds like my driveshaft did when the carrier went out

It’s pouring rain right now but I’ll give that a go when it lets up. Car has 97,000km on it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It’s pouring rain right now but I’ll give that a go when it lets up. Car has 97,000km on it
If you are willing...

Checked today, you’re correct the bearing is shot. Thank you so much

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Checked today, you’re correct the bearing is shot. Thank you so much
I hate being right sometimes lol

Yeah mine gave way at around 85k miles. Wasnt able to find just the bearing back then I believe you have to replace the whole unit

I would look into if they make just the center bearing, im hopefull for you

Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hate being right sometimes lol

Yeah mine gave way at around 85k miles. Wasnt able to find just the bearing back then I believe you have to replace the whole unit

I would look into if they make just the center bearing, im hopefull for you

Good luck!
Praying it won’t be the whole unit, going to find out tomorrow when stores open back up. RIP to my wallet if they dont sell just the bearing lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Praying it won’t be the whole unit, going to find out tomorrow when stores open back up. RIP to my wallet if they dont sell just the bearing lol
I made a post about the same sound! I'm glad you guys figured it out. Check to see if you still have powertrain warranty, it covers the driveshaft.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey Man, any update on this problem? Hopefully, you solved it. I am experiencing the same problem and just looking for answers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts