Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Tick after hard driving..

11K views 52 replies 16 participants last post by  Solidman 
#1 ·
Hey guys , please move this post if it's in the wrong section . I just recently picked up a 2018 6mt scat pack shaker with 4k miles on it. At idle normally it sounds fine , but after hard driving I can hear a ticking that is intermittent . I have only had it for a few
weeks but it's in South Carolina so it's been hot this whole time.i have scrolled through a ton of post and video s , but hadn't heard much about a tick after hard driving . Is this normal or should I be concerned ? Thanks

#2 ·
How's the oil level and when was it last changed? The 392 engine requires an oil change every 6 months since new to keep the warranty so hope that has been done.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

#4 ·
These are noisy engines, seem to be more-so when they're still new (Observed by myself and a few other 6.4L owners on this forum). So what's a noisy tick to one person may be normal Hemi noise to another. Without a video or audio clip, it's hard to say.

#5 ·
I'll catch a video of it soon. I think I am being new to me car paranoid. It is going in Tuesday for some Uconnect issues, so I will have them change the oil to Pennzoil and start off on the right foot.

I'll bring up the noise at the dealership but as long as they listen to it and document it as normal, I will just turn the radio up.

#6 ·
Congrats on the awesome ride! FIRST: If the Nissan dealership changed the oil.....I'd bet u got whatever they stock. And they DO NOT stock Pennzoil Pure Platinum 0-40!! You MUST get the right oil in it first!! The oil was created for this engine.....that is not a joke. Do your research.

I have had many Mopars in the last 40 years....and yes....after hard driving it is normal to get a pronounced tick that goes away after a bit. The reason is....the high RPM squeezes oil out of the lifters and you get a little slack in it. That's the tick. Some easy driving or sitting....the lifter pumps back up and is quiet again. Normal on a Hemi.

#8 ·
Congrats on the awesome ride! FIRST: If the Nissan dealership changed the oil.....I'd bet u got whatever they stock. And they DO NOT stock Pennzoil Pure Platinum 0-40!! You MUST get the right oil in it first!! The oil was created for this engine.....that is not a joke. Do your research.

I have had many Mopars in the last 40 years....and yes....after hard driving it is normal to get a pronounced tick that goes away after a bit. The reason is....the high RPM squeezes oil out of the lifters and you get a little slack in it. Thats the tick. Some easy driving or sitting....the lifter pumps back up and is quiet again. Normal on a Hemi.
Thanks man, I have done some research and you are right, I will get the oil changed Tuesday and keep an eye on it. I would be willing to bet some wheels that whatever oil is in their now is not Pennzoil from Dodge. But even then, if I am supposed to get a normal tick after driving it hard then I am not worried about it. Luckily I have been out of town for half the time I have owned the car, so I have only put 500 miles on it since purchased.

#7 ·
Hi Bizlipkick

I have pretty much the exact same symptoms you describe with my 2012 SRT8. 95% of the time the engine is quiet as a mouse like a little sewing machine but as you describe intermittently especially after a spirited blast along the freeway, when at idle the engine will be embarrassingly noisy ticking/tapping away.

I changed my oil when I bought the car last year at 15,200 miles, then again at 18,500, using Shell Helix 0w/40, the car was stored during the winter and is now at 20,800 miles and will shortly be due another oil change, this time I am going to use the Pennzoil 0w/40 recommended by Chrysler (7 quarts cost approximately $140 here in the U.K) as an experiment to see if it makes any difference

Regards

Dereck

#10 ·
Here's some more information about the Hemi tick, at idle, from the SRT engineers:

""You will not hear the valve seating at or near idle conditions unless you have seriously aerated the oil system and hence the lifters. You will also not hear the moly wearing off the piston skirts. A piston that is too small in a bore too big will result in a cold slap that can be heard at cold (I mean cold like -20 deg F) idle. We do a lot of testing and guage pistons and bores very carefully to make sure you as our customer cannot detect the piston movement in the bores- hot or cold. I expect what you hear is the injectors which do make a clicking noise that can be heard and gets slightly noisier as the injector temp is elevated. The noise is caused by the injector pintel as it opens and closes and while we have not been able to eliminate the noise due to the required operation (you need the fuel) we have done some work with minimizing the noise with isolation."

#27 ·
Here's some more information about the Hemi tick, at idle, from the SRT engineers:

""You will not hear the valve seating at or near idle conditions unless you have seriously aerated the oil system and hence the lifters. You will also not hear the moly wearing off the piston skirts. A piston that is too small in a bore too big will result in a cold slap that can be heard at cold (I mean cold like -20 deg F) idle. We do a lot of testing and guage pistons and bores very carefully to make sure you as our customer cannot detect the piston movement in the bores- hot or cold. I expect what you hear is the injectors which do make a clicking noise that can be heard and gets slightly noisier as the injector temp is elevated. The noise is caused by the injector pintel as it opens and closes and while we have not been able to eliminate the noise due to the required operation (you need the fuel) we have done some work with minimizing the noise with isolation."
Cuda...good info...love to see the feedback from the engineers. Although in the OPs youtube clip, I can definitely hear an irregular tap that does not sound like the click of an injector.

#14 ·
VERY normal !

#12 ·
I've used Mobil 1 0W40 and Wix filters since day one, no major ticking from my engine. These engines are a bit noisy to begin with as well. It may just need some fresh oil, they may have put some crummy stuff in there potentially.

#15 ·
Yeah, video does not sound abnormal, and many of us use Mobil 1 0W-40( which was also designed by the SRT engineers - granted back in like 2004) and do not have unusually loud or tickity engines.

#33 ·
Drive throughs amplify the Hemi sound. It's always loud if you listen at the front wheel wells.

Both my previous 5.7 and current 392 are Loud and noisey in any drive through.

The Hemi is a noisey engine. If one wants quiet, buy an import.

You will get one of two looks at a drive through window. One will be a grin, that loves that Hemi muscle sound.

The other look will be eyes wide open, looking like they are going to get got. Scared to death. Lol

#34 ·
Pretty much. I love how raw and throaty the 392 sounds (and my 5.7 is similar but not nearly as mean sounding). It's amazing that with these cars how people just cannot help but to compliment them or get a **** eating grin when they hear it up close.

#36 ·
While we're piling on GM :shinner:/for the sake of similar experiences - had an 05 GTO (LS2) and an 09 G8 GXP (LS3) that clattered quite a bit at idle as well. In fact, the LS3 was so noisy I thought I had an exhaust leak, but new manifold gaskets didn't make a difference. LSx engines are noisy too, but certainly nothing wrong w/them when you press the go pedal! :rocket:

#37 ·
Noise came back as normal, Even have "hemi tick" on the receipt. My service manager was super cool and said everything is straight with the warranty, since I just got the car and did an oil change to show I am taking care of it. I am not sure what oil was in it before but with the new Pennzoil synthetic it sounds less "tappy". They sent pictures to FCA of my clearcoat bubbling on my rear driver side fender well (having the same issue that the 1320 on mopar insiders is having) so hopefully will hear back soon on what they are going to do.

#39 ·
I have 15 hundred miles on my '19' Scat Pack. It started making a tap/tick that I took for the Hemi tick after the 1000 mile break in and I wound her up a bit. It doesn't do it cold, starts a few minutes after it gets up too temp. It's not what I'd call a tick, it's an even kind of tap. sounds like the valves/rockers or injectors because it's coming from under the engine shroud. When I park it, and open the hood I can really hear it, and I hear it from inside at 3.5 to 4 grand. I took it back too the dealer, they had it for a day and drove it, and they said it was normal to sound like that so I'm gonna' go ahead and keep driving it. I guess as long as I document that I had it back to them, if anything happens they'll take care of it. Actually that's why I was commenting on the thread about the gas additive. Thought maybe that would take care of it but I haven't done it yet. Asked the tech at the dealership and they said they'd never put an additive in the car because it's designed to run with 9.1 to 9.3 octane. I was thinking a little lube for the valve system might be good and help get rid of whatever it is I'm hearing.

#42 ·
Congrats on the new ride! My 68' 440 did it. My 68' 318 did it. My 87' 318 did it. My 16' 392 does it. Bottom line....Mopar V8's do it. (Normal) Always run the highest octane Top Teir gasoline you can. The ECU will maximize timing for the best performance....and Premium contains the most amount of detergent.

Gumout Regane contains the same PEA (cleaner) contained in Techron...but a lot higher concentrations (treats more gas) at half the price! (I converted from Techron). Techron used to be the BEST cleaner because it was Benzene....which is now outlawed. The industry had to come up with a substitute....PEA. (Polyether-Amine)

Check out this excellent video on fuel cleaner tests......

Enjoy that sweet ride........Gene:)

#41 ·
Are you using the right oil in the engine and changing it on schedule?

My experience is even with the right oil in the engine as the oil accumulates miles the engine gets noisier. The oil doesn't break down per se just gets contaminated and this tends to reduce the oil's viscosity.

With my other cars as the miles on the oil approached 5K -- my oil change schedule -- the engine would get a bit more ticky.

The valve system gets all the lubrication it requires from the engine oil. If it didn't a ticking engine would be the least of your problems.

What is likely going on is due to manufacturing tolerances one or more valve mechanisms: lifter, push rod, rocker arm, valve stem (have I left anything out?); has a bit more clearance than the lifter's zero lash mechanism can deal with.

In some cases some owners have managed to address the ticking by fitting "longer" valve push rods. This can be tricky because one wants to avoid fitting too long a rod or the valve may not close completely and burn.

When assembling an engine I was working on at the time I can recall years ago feeling each push rod -- with the piston at TDC -- for any "excessive play". With all 16 push rods accessible to give each the wiggle test one could identify the one with the most play and the one most likely to be noisy and possibly do something about it. As I recall I found no cause for concern and the engine (a 318CID Dodge engine in my D200 pickup) was tick free after I rebuilt it. (BTW, it was ticking that prompted me to delve into this engine and I found more than one camshaft bearing -- shell -- gone. The ticking was due to the lack of oil supply and pressure to more than a few lifters.)

Removing the valve covers and checking for excessive push rod play is a bit involved. And I'm not able to advise what is acceptable or what is not acceptable. And I can't offer any source for longer push rods. I don't know if one has to buy a "set" or he can buy only the number he needs.

While Dodge does not advocate any gasoline or oil additives based on my experience there does appear to be some benefit to quieting an engine using Swepco 502 oil improver. This additive consists of 200ppm of molybdenum in a very fine (micro-sized) particle form. My experience was with the right amount of this in the engine -- in the case of my cars with their 9+ quart oil supply the proper amount required I buy 2 bottles of this stuff (I had tried just one bottle with no noticeable benefit) -- the engine was quieter. Not lots, but some. I have to admit with the stuff not in the engine neither engine was that noisy to begin with.

I'm not suggesting you use this stuff. Just putting this out there. (Which I guess could be taken as some form of suggestion regardless of what I say.) Really though just trying to pass on my experience.

I will state that I have not used any Swepco additive in my Hellcat or my JCW engines. They are not ticky but I believe both could probably benefit from the extra lubrication (?) the moly provides. The JCW engine especially has a very complicated valve system the intake valves not only can be varied in timing but have a variable lift feature which is the primary way the engine controller controls the amount of air into the engine which in effect makes the intake valves the throttle valves, too.

As for gasoline additive the only one I have used with some success is Techron. Now in one case I didn't add Techron to the gas tank I just filled up the gas tank with Chevron Supreme (with Techron) then just driving the car normally before the tank was used up I noticed the engine running better. I don't recall any change to its noise level but as I mentioned above the engine was not exceptionally noisy to begin with.

Techron might (might) help reduce engine noise but of course I can make no promises. And as Dodge doesn't approve of gasoline additives, unless you have access to Chevron gasoline already treated with Techron adding a bottle or two to the gas tank then filling the tank with Techron free gasoline is probably verboten.

While I have not used Techron from a bottle in either my Hellcat or JCW once in a while I fill up their gas tanks with Chevron Supreme. So far if there has been any change for the better I don't recall it. (I would have recalled however if there was a change for the worse.) Still once in a while the opportunity presents itself to use Chevron Supreme (instead of Shell V-Power) so I use it with the idea belief the gasoline does in some way cleanse the engine of any fuel system deposits and engine deposits.

#45 ·
^ What Solidman said. Warm up your engines (>190F coolant, >190F oil) before pushing them over 2.5kRPM. Don't push them hard right before parking them. Change your fluids, all of your fluids. Now you enter the likely 300,000 mile club.

Reactions: Solidman
#46 ·
Perfectly said and very accurate!

#48 ·
Great write up Melvin! I am with you....after 3 1/2 years every single time I drive mine I feel like a virgin teenager! lol

The grin on my face probably looks like a "jackass chewing briers"! lol I LOVE my dream car and I thank God for it every day. Warming them up is critical to longevity and great performance. In the old days with carbs....we had no choice......especially in winter. Fuel injection is a mixed blessing. It is flawless in performance....but being able to drive it cold with cold barely flowing oil causes a lot of internal wear that catches up if you keep it long enough.

In this "throw away" society.....most people could care less. They run the cheapest fuel, the cheapest oil, and everything else they can get away with. I want mine to last and be trouble free for many years down the road. I put my foot in it a fair amount...but it idles to operating temp first before I drive it....then driven at least 10 miles before I even think about dogging it. I have done this to all my vehicles...NEVER had one fail, smoke or burn oil...and I love SPEED!

I ordered mine without decals. They look cool....but they do FAIL eventually and cause paint damage. Plus....I don't like to advertise my power. I prefer to be "underestimated". It's always nice to show them your tail lights especially if they are 'flashy"!

Always use Sport mode to save the lifters. In MDS they bleed down and beat against the cam and damage the roller bearings. Sport mode keep em' pumped up and tight like they should be.

Enjoy that Bad Ass Mopar Melvin.........Gene :)

Attachments

#49 ·
In this "throw away" society.....most people could care less. They run the cheapest fuel, the cheapest oil, and everything else they can get away with. I want mine to last and be trouble free for many years down the road. I put my foot in it a fair amount...but it idles to operating temp first before I drive it....then driven at least 10 miles before I even think about dogging it. I have done this to all my vehicles...NEVER had one fail, smoke or burn oil...and I love SPEED!

Enjoy that Bad Ass Mopar Melvin.........Gene :)
This is the reason I refused to buy used when I picked up my SP. I don't trust people - they drive cars into the ground and don't understand basic physics.

#51 ·
Yeah, but like I said most people have no idea how anything works around them. They bumble aimlessly around life not understanding how any of the **** they use works. Cars included. Speaking of which I need to check my girlfriend's fluids. Huehuehue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.