Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been using Low octane gas and I've always heard a ticking noise when I start and drive my Challenger. This week I used high octane and I added octane boost and I don't hear anymore ticking and my car hauls ass of the line with much more responsive throttle .
I think that low octane is causing detonation from low octane fuel.

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
Read the owner's manual. It will tell you what octane gas to use. Detonation from lower than recommended octane fuel will not cause ticking on startup, idle and probably on mild acceleration

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
It its a 6spd then its 91 or higher, an auto is 87 octane

·
Super Moderator
13,848 Posts
Ticking sounds in an engine are commonly caused by a lack of lubrication. Lubricants such as oil and fuel flow between metallic components and provide cushioning so that the parts do not tap against one another. Ticking or tapping noises can come from several different sources, including the lifters (especially the 5.7 engine), valves and fuel injectors.

In your case, you were probably hearing the fuel injectors. Poor quality fuel that contains high amounts of ethanol or low octane may not properly lubricate the fuel injectors and can lead to a slight tapping or ticking noise.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ticking sounds in an engine are commonly caused by a lack of lubrication. Lubricants such as oil and fuel flow between metallic components and provide cushioning so that the parts do not tap against one another. Ticking or tapping noises can come from several different sources, including the lifters (especially the 5.7 engine), valves and fuel injectors.

In your case, you were probably hearing the fuel injectors. Poor quality fuel that contains high amounts of ethanol or low octane may not properly lubricate the fuel injectors and can lead to a slight tapping or ticking noise.
True dat . I did use the Complete fuel system clean , perhaps that did it justice.
Which gas stations sell highest octane gas ? In Taos NM we used to go buy Aviation fuel at the airport or go to the one gas station in Albuquerque NM that sold blue gasoline 110 octane

·
Super Moderator
13,848 Posts
True dat . I did use the Complete fuel system clean , perhaps that did it justice.
Which gas stations sell highest octane gas ? In Taos NM we used to go buy Aviation fuel at the airport or go to the one gas station in Albuquerque NM that sold blue gasoline 110 octane
You would be wasting your money buying 110 octane aviation or race fuel. Only engines with at least 12:1 compression (or more), need it. A typical street performance car does not have enough compression to compress the 110 octane air/fuel mixture. If you use 110 octane in an engine having 10:1 to 11:1 compression, you will actually run slower at the track. The maximum for such engines is about 100 octane.

I run either Sunoco or Valero premium in my 2009 SRT. The Valero is a top brand that is discounted in my area. It has 93 octane and runs great in my Challenger.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Be careful using aviation fuel (gasoline) in your car. The most commonly available avgas is "100LL" (dyed blue) has 1.2 to 2 grams TEL per US gallon. (Avgas doesn't have any road tax levied and if one is caught using it on the street this can result in a fine. Similar to people using agriculture diesel fuel (dyed red I think) in their passenger vehicles.)

No need to use racing fuel (or high octane lead free aviation gasoline) unless you are racing the car.

Just fill up with highest octane gasoline available from a top tier gas station. 91 probably. (Been a few years since I've been through Albuquerque and I forget. Still remember where Rudy's BBQ is though right off of I-40.) If 91 is all that's available, that ain't half bad. The higher elevation reduces the octane needs of the engine. (In some areas like Flagstaff at around 7000 feet all that is available is 90 octane.)

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
The wallet and the manual were not a match ..... economics bro
If you monitored fuel consumption accurately you'd probably find the engine spec'd to run a higher grade of octane is not delivering that good of fuel mileage compared to what it would deliver running the proper grade of octane.

To avoid detonation the engine controller retards ignition timing which lowers the pressure of combustion and avoids detonation but this delayed ignition wastes energy as the fuel starts burning later in the power stroke. Some of the energy that would have gone to the rear wheels instead goes out the exhaust in the form of elevated exhaust gas temperature.

Not only does this waste fuel the resulting elevated exhaust gas temperature subjects all components exposed to exhaust gas to higher operating temperature and this can shorten their life.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Look for "top tier" fuels. If your wallet says no, sell the car. All this fun don't come free. Shell, Mobil, BP,.....

·
Super Moderator
13,848 Posts
Look for "top tier" fuels. If your wallet says no, sell the car. All this fun don't come free. Shell, Mobil, BP,.....
Here is the benefit of using a Top Tier Fuel, according to the top tier web site:

"The intention of the TOP TIER™ Detergent Gasoline standards is to create a winning situation for gasoline retailers, auto manufacturers and drivers. Currently, many gasoline retailers provide fuels with lower-quality additive packages that can build up deposits on fuel injectors and on intake valves. Others can build up deposits in combustion chambers and may lead to intake valve sticking. These lower levels of additives can have negative impacts on engine performance and vehicle responsiveness."

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't actively try to come off as insulting but nothing gets me like people who buy performance oriented trim packaged cars and then "can't afford" the extra 40 cents a gallon for the gasoline it needs. Priorities?
That's ****ed up bro. Kiss my ass with your rich self .

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
I don't actively try to come off as insulting but nothing gets me like people who buy performance oriented trim packaged cars and then "can't afford" the extra 40 cents a gallon for the gasoline it needs. Priorities?
It's like going to a fancy restaurant and stiffing the waitress because can't afford the tip. You don't go there!

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
1 - 20 of 40 Posts