Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and some friends were having fun the other night and when we parked I opened my hood to cool it off. Now I've noticed this noise for a while while my hood is open with the car running. There's a quick ticking noise. It's very light. It sounds like it's coming from right under the engine cover but whenever I think to check it out it's always too hot to touch. Is this common with the 3.6l or is something messed up? I've noticed it's harder to hear light engine noise on the 5.7l and above (since they're actually loud) so this really only applies to the v6. Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,090 Posts
It's something a lot of the 3.6Ls will do, some more loudly than others, and is often referred to as "the lifter tick" or lifter noise in general. The 3.6L doesn't have lifters, so that's technically incorrect to reference lifters when talking about the ticking noise, but that's basically what is ticking - the contact points where the rocker arms meet the cam lobes, i.e. where a lifter would be if it had them.

It's not necessarily a sign of something going bad, so there isn't much cause for concern. Now if the noise suddenly gets much louder and appears to get worse as time goes on, there could be a problem. But as it is now, you're engine is fine.

You can try running different oils to see if any help keep the noise to a minimum or outright silence it. And if you find one that works better than the others, stick with that one to keep the tick from bothering you. But other than that, there's not a lot you can as far as I know.

NOTE: it's been a while since i owned a Challenger with the 3.6L and had to deal with this issue, so there might have been some advancements in knowledge about its cause and/or what to do about it. So in the event my info and advice is outdated, hopefully someone will chime in here and correct me.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Try adding some LUCAS Oil Stabilizer, works for some people.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's something a lot of the 3.6Ls will do, some more loudly than others, and is often referred to as "the lifter tick" or lifter noise in general. The 3.6L doesn't have lifters, so that's technically incorrect to reference lifters when talking about the ticking noise, but that's basically what is ticking - the contact points where the rocker arms meet the cam lobes, i.e. where a lifter would be if it had them.

It's not necessarily a sign of something going bad, so there isn't much cause for concern. Now if the noise suddenly gets much louder and appears to get worse as time goes on, there could be a problem. But as it is now, you're engine is fine.

You can try running different oils to see if any help keep the noise to a minimum or outright silence it. And if you find one that works better than the others, stick with that one to keep the tick from bothering you. But other than that, there's not a lot you can as far as I know.

NOTE: it's been a while since i owned a Challenger with the 3.6L and had to deal with this issue, so there might have been some advancements in knowledge about its cause and/or what to do about it. So in the event my info and advice is outdated, hopefully someone will chime in here and correct me.
Try adding some LUCAS Oil Stabilizer, works for some people.
Thanks for the replies.. I'm just now seeing this lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts