Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Challenger RT Shaker, 2013 Dart SXT, 2005 Jeep Liberty Renagade
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m not sure if I have the hemi tick or if this is just a noisy pulley, can anyone help?

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,439 Posts
Doesn’t sound like a pulley, they don’t usually tick like that

·
Registered
195 Posts
I’m not sure if I have the hemi tick or if this is just a noisy pulley, can anyone help?
That sounds a lot like injector tick. Mine ticks just like that. You can throw a bottle of Gummout Injector Cleaner (the one with "upper cylinder lubricant") in the tank next time you fuel up and if it quiets down or goes away for that tank then you know thats likely what it is and its harmless. Thats what I did, with Gummout in there you can't hear mine inside the car but without it sounds just like yours.

·
Registered
193 Posts
That's what mine sounded like for close to 2 years . . . Does it get louder if you drive alongside a wall with the window down?

Mine unfortunately became a rattle last weekend - which I reckon, although I've yet to pull it apart to check, is lifter failure and cam damage.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger RT Shaker, 2013 Dart SXT, 2005 Jeep Liberty Renagade
10 Posts
That's what mine sounded like for close to 2 years . . . Does it get louder if you drive alongside a wall with the window down?

Mine unfortunately became a rattle last weekend - which I reckon, although I've yet to pull it apart to check, is lifter failure and cam damage.
No I only heard it outside of I popped the hood, I’m sorry to hear about yours, what do you know so far as a way to cure yours?

That sounds a lot like injector tick. Mine ticks just like that. You can throw a bottle of Gummout Injector Cleaner (the one with "upper cylinder lubricant") in the tank next time you fuel up and if it quiets down or goes away for that tank then you know thats likely what it is and its harmless. Thats what I did, with Gummout in there you can't hear mine inside the car but without it sounds just like yours.
Thanks so much, I’ll give it a try!!

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Put 0-30 Amsoil Signature in for peace of mind No additives in the oil. Then go out and romp on it. That's what i did. Quiet ever after. Worth a try. Fuel additive as above good idea too.

·
Registered
193 Posts
My tick shut up when I thrawped it for a reasonable amount of time - which agrees with an internet theory of poor lubrication, and increased revs helps - although I don't know if telling a traffic cop the reason I'm driving like a loon is to increase engine component lubrication and lie :)

I reckon my cure will be replacement of damaged components . .

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,209 Posts
That's a mild tick in my opinion. And in that short clip I didn't hear any real distinct/stand out tick. Really it just sounds like a reciporcating internal combustion engine.

Besides you have the hood open. I mean come on that's not a sewing machine engine in the car...

My advice would be to do nothing unless the noise gets more pronounced and you hear one tick over all the others, from inside the cabin with the windows rolled up.

If you want to do "something" if the oil is due to be changed change the oil. Use the factory recommended viscosity. Use no oil (or gasoline) additives.

Fresh oil really quiets down an engine. But the engine will get noisy again as the oil gets miles on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts