Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tim Kuniskis was interviewed by Hot Rod magazine about the new Challenger SRT Super Stock. Here are some quotes from the interview:

"If I had to categorize it, I would say the Super Stock is nothing like the Demon, and it's more like the Redeye, just re-tuned for the wheel and tire package. The spring rates are totally different than Demon. The Demon has much smaller and even hollow sway bars. We didn't do any of that on [Super Stock]. The whole intent here was to get an 18-inch wheel on the car. You can say it splits the difference between Demon and Redeye, but I'd say it's more like 80/20: 80 percent toward Redeye and 20 percent toward Demon. We had a little bit more time [to develop the 807 hp rating on the Super Stock], a little bit more real-world durability testing; you know, because the Redeye engine, just like the Demon engine, has a different valvetrain in it than the Hellcat, so we knew it had a little bit more rpm capability in it.

Nobody ever saw Super Stock coming. For the people who are into it, it's significant. Ever since we launched the Redeye, there's been one thing that's bothered us about the car. Yes, it has amazing horsepower. The other thing, it has is a ton of torque. And even with the 305 Pirellis with the Widebody kit, it just was traction-limited. There's just no way around it. Because we didn't build the Demon anymore, we didn't want to lose our claim as having the quickest, fastest, most powerful muscle car in the industry. And that traction was holding us back from making that claim, so we needed to do that.

We needed to do two things: We needed to put traction back in the car so that we could re-establish that. We could run a stock trim 10.50 second in the quarter-mile and reclaim that lead. The second thing we needed to do was, we know that our hardcore enthusiasts that actually go to the track, they want more tire than was there with a 305 Pirelli on a regular Redeye. The challenge is, they could go to a drag radial on a 20-inch wheel, but they couldn't go any smaller than that because of the size of the brakes on the Redeye package. So, to go to a smaller wheel and tire to get more sidewall, to get more traction, they had to go to a much smaller brake package.

"We were toying with should we go down that space, should we build the car like everyone else, should we go to a smaller, lighter platform, which we will have to eventually, but at that time, we went to our customers and we surveyed them on road courses, drag racing, just regular cruising, what kind of stuff were they interested in. So what we found out was, it was a 7-to-1-ratio of people that said they identified with drag racing over road course.
You made the comment about the Demon [horsepower at 808 versus 807 for Super Stock], I always try to be very clear with this because I tell people we wouldn't build another Demon, and we did Super Stock, and they say 'Oh, isn't this Demon Lite?' I say absolutely not, and you understand it. When we did the Demon, we rated the car on race gas, and we rated it on pump gas, and it was 808 versus 807 [hp]. You saw it and you know that—kind of with a wink—yeah, that's one horsepower less. Sure it is. And there's more to it than that because when we had the hero run—the 9.65—sure, it was a prepped track, it was great conditions and all those things. And at first, nobody could duplicate those times."

Note: The MSRP of the Super Stock is $81,090.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
I love how he downplays the Demon-ness of it. I have a feeling he's trying to not piss off the Demon collectors/flippers who's car's values just dropped when this was announced.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I love how he downplays the Demon-ness of it. I have a feeling he's trying to not piss off the Demon collectors/flippers who's car's values just dropped when this was announced.
Definitely downplaying it but I don’t think the SS diminishes the Demon. Still quite different and the Demon is extremely limited which is what makes it so collectible.

·
Registered
14,837 Posts
Price released.

$79,995 MSRP

Add in $1,495 destination and $2,100 gas guzzler and you're at $83,590.

A Redeye Widebody with 3.09 gears like the SS would be $81,285.

So $2,305 more.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: A Guy

·
Super Moderator
15,972 Posts
Price released.

$79,995 MSRP

A Redeye Widebody with 3.09 gears like the SS would be $81,285.

So $2,305 more.

"near Demon" prices

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
2,376 Posts
Add in $1,495 destination...
That is pure criminal. They should only charge you that if it was something you chose, or you could pick it up at the factory instead type of thing. I would do that.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Price released.

$79,995 MSRP

Throw in a few options like a five grand sunroof $$$. Taxes and licence fees $$$, along with a five grand seven year extended warranty $$$, and now that $83,590 is pushing $100,000. OH! you can be sure my local dealer will be doing the Market Value Adjustment thing like they do on every high end model...

HOT ROD ON

·
Registered
14,837 Posts
It might be $79,595 base now, some articles are saying that.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
702 Posts
Still can't understand why anyone would pay a premium for a car configured for performance then pay a ton more for an option such as a sun roof that reduces performance.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Still can't understand why anyone would pay a premium for a car configured for performance then pay a ton more for an option such as a sun roof that reduces performance.

With you there! 22.1% or 732 of the Demon buyers, thought it would be cool to blast down the quarter with a sunroof 🌞

HOT ROD ON

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
19,608 Posts
Maybe just rich people who wanted the prestige of the Demon, but didn't want to give up their luxury. Car will never see the strip...nor the street much

A Guy

Reactions: vpzyck
1 - 11 of 11 Posts