Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever had the front bumper / fascia (basically that first 12 inch section of the car) replaced n painted ? 2016 challenger hellcat, just plain white color.
About how many days in shop and cost?

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
FYI, this is not for any cosmetic reasons, I hit debris in the road. Mostly the spoiler is damaged but the spoiler connects to the Front Fascia on those tabs, which are now "gone"....ripped out.

·
Registered
472 Posts
The nose is all one piece, soooo, if you replace it with a new OEM piece, which doesn't come painted, you're probably looking at a couple hours labor to R&R the piece (shop rate), prep and paint ($600 ish) plus the part. If the spoiler is damaged, price of that too

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The nose is all one piece, soooo, if you replace it with a new OEM piece, which doesn't come painted, you're probably looking at a couple hours labor to R&R the piece (shop rate), prep and paint ($600 ish) plus the part. If the spoiler is damaged, price of that too
Let me clarify........I hit something on the road, the spoiler/reinforcement fits just behind is toast. The Bumper is ok, except the TABS where the spoiler connects is built into this, these tabs are "gone"...ripped out. So yes, 99% chance "the entire nose", whole fascia/spoiler and associated parts/rivets etc.. has to be donw...and this totally removes the "what if we get in there an find more damage" factor.

Keeping in mind the paint is plain ole white and i'm dropping off in the morning and "hoping" (not demanding) to have it back by Thursday night. Negating all of the "if they are backed up, if their paint guy gets sick etc etc...I realize all this)

Ballpark cost and how many days for this?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I'm a collision tech. The overhaul time on a Challenger bumper is 3.9 hours + time to R/I wheels and Fender Liners.

Then you will have about $60 in one time use fasteners.

1 hour for pre and post repair scans at mechanical rate.

Paint time is probably about 3ish hours. There is no such thing as plane old white.

Like mentioned above, $600 is probably the minimum minus parts. This can be significantly higher at shops that actually follow OEM procedures. Dodge requires steering column replacement for a non-airbag deployment front end collisions, steering rack replacement if a front wheel was impacted along with several hours of inspections.

If you have adaptive cruise it may need to be verified and calibrated.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i appreciate such detail but you guys are killimg me. ok, if i bring it in tommorrow, october
monday, and they are average busy, and no ones on vacation or sick erc
what day should i expect to drive it home?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
i appreciate such detail but you guys are killimg me. ok, if i bring it in tommorrow, october
monday, and they are average busy, and no ones on vacation or sick erc
what day should i expect to drive it home?
Our average busy is 6 weeks out. So if you brought it in tomorrow without being on the schedule you would get it back in about 7 weeks.

If they can get you in right away, skip the OEM procedures, and don't need to order additional parts, you can figure about 3 or 4 days.

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker, 2010 Plum Crazy R/T Classic, 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
2,007 Posts
Dude, I have had this done a few times and let me tell you the Challenger has the most pain-in-the-ass front end ever!!! What I mean is, taking it all apart, the grills and the way they are put together is mind-numbing. That spoiler is truly the worst engineered part. I had to use heat and liquid soap and hours of patience to take the entire front end apart and put it all together once I had the bumper re-painted. I have had body-shops refuse the to do a replacement/front end of a challenger. If anyone is willing to do it at all, let them take some time to do it.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
6 weeks? in over 40 years, I've NEVER ever had a car in the shop over 2 1/2 weeks and thats with $16,000 of damage and they were very busy! Shops that do that 6 weeks thing here? Stay in business about...6 weeks! And OEM procedures? on occasion, SOME parts take over night to get, most are later that day. My god you must be talking about a shop whose address is in death valley, that has no phones and 2 employees!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
6 weeks? in over 40 years, I've NEVER ever had a car in the shop over 2 1/2 weeks and thats with $16,000 of damage and they were very busy! Shops that do that 6 weeks thing here? Stay in business about...6 weeks! And OEM procedures? on occasion, SOME parts take over night to get, most are later that day. My god you must be talking about a shop whose address is in death valley, that has no phones and 2 employees!
Been in business for 25 years, drop your car off without being on the schedule and it can be 6 weeks easy. Everyone needs their car back yesterday, why should anyone think they get to go to the front of the line?

What's you question about OEM procedures? Manufacturers have required inspections and replacement items in any collision, most lower quality shops ignore these.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dude, I have had this done a few times and let me tell you the Challenger has the most pain-in-the-ass front end ever!!! What I mean is, taking it all apart, the grills and the way they are put together is mind-numbing. That spoiler is truly the worst engineered part. I had to use heat and liquid soap and hours of patience to take the entire front end apart and put it all together once I had the bumper re-painted. I have had body-shops refuse the to do a replacement/front end of a challenger. If anyone is willing to do it at all, let them take some time to do it.
I'm asking how long it takes, not how hard it is. a lot of my friends are laughing at me for not doing it myself...say its very easy. From what I remembers ...somewhere I heard about 3-4 hours.
Keep in mind....I'm bringing it to a big shop thats an authorized partner with my insurance company....not "some guy that says he can do it".
Mines is not damaged in a way that is going to effect the removal reinstall, it will be like taking a brand new car and doing this.
On my Scat Pack, the front end was smashed bad. They had to put a new bumper/fascia/ spoiler on, ALL the pieces behind it, the radiator, AC coils, etc etc...a new Drivers side fender , repair passengers fender, ALL the lights, grills etc were toast. I brought it in at Noon on a Tuesday...and had it back Wednesday evening...8 days later.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Been in business for 25 years, drop your car off without being on the schedule and it can be 6 weeks easy. Everyone needs their car back yesterday, why should anyone think they get to go to the front of the line?

What's you question about OEM procedures? Manufacturers have required inspections and replacement items in any collision, most lower quality shops ignore these.
I've NEVER made an appointment or got Scheduled....EVER. I have not been in the bussiness 25 years, but I've had work done countless times since the 70's . Frankly I don't even remember how it went before 10-15 years ago. but I can say this,,,in last 10-15 years, I've been in at LEAST 7-8 times, EVERY time, the incident would occur, and less than 48 hours, few times Same day, just "show up", and dropped it off, and only ONCE, was without my car two weekends, had over 16 grand damage ...Several times "I" was the one pushing out the drop off date. They were wanting to take it right then on say Wed/Thurs...I said no, I'll come first thing monday.
I'm not trying to be combative or argumentative........simply telling you my experiences....as unbelievable as what I'm saying to you? what your saying is just as shocking to me.
and No this is NOT a case of "oh you just dont remember"....I'm extreme OCD, and even moreso with days n dates. If I could pull up records I'd but $500 (and I never bet) that, of the say 10 times I've gone in since 2000...that well over half, were in by monday, out by Friday....most were $1500-$2500 jobs., I know the one time was 2.5 weeks, and I can remember only ONE other time, I did not have my car for the weekend.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I've NEVER made an appointment or got Scheduled....EVER. I have not been in the bussiness 25 years, but I've had work done countless times since the 70's . Frankly I don't even remember how it went before 10-15 years ago. but I can say this,,,in last 10-15 years, I've been in at LEAST 7-8 times, EVERY time, the incident would occur, and less than 48 hours, few times Same day, just "show up", and dropped it off, and only ONCE, was without my car two weekends, had over 16 grand damage ...Several times "I" was the one pushing out the drop off date. They were wanting to take it right then on say Wed/Thurs...I said no, I'll come first thing monday.
I'm not trying to be combative or argumentative........simply telling you my experiences....as unbelievable as what I'm saying to you? what your saying is just as shocking to me.
and No this is NOT a case of "oh you just dont remember"....I'm extreme OCD, and even moreso with days n dates. If I could pull up records I'd but $500 (and I never bet) that, of the say 10 times I've gone in since 2000...that well over half, were in by monday, out by Friday....most were $1500-$2500 jobs., I know the one time was 2.5 weeks, and I can remember only ONE other time, I did not have my car for the weekend.
I think I already answered your question.

At a shop that can start on the car Monday without an appointment, ignoring OEM procedures and inspections, you are looking at 3 day but more likely 4.

At a shop that can start on it Monday without an appointment, following OEM procedures and doing required replacements and inspections, you are looking at more like 2 weeks.

At our shop, which is scheduled out 6 weeks, if you dropped it off Monday without an appointment, you would get it back in when it's done and it may sit outside untouched for 6 weeks. Depending on cancellations and other factors it could be done sooner.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think I already answered your question.

At a shop that can start on the car Monday without an appointment, ignoring OEM procedures and inspections, you are looking at 3 day but more likely 4.

At a shop that can start on it Monday without an appointment, following OEM procedures and doing required replacements and inspections, you are looking at more like 2 weeks.

At our shop, which is scheduled out 6 weeks, if you dropped it off Monday without an appointment, you would get it back in when it's done and it may sit outside untouched for 6 weeks. Depending on cancellations and other factors it could be done sooner.
You sound like OEM procedures and inspections is something that, for one, unusual....and time consuming......Skipping sounds like something some shade treed shop would do, I made THAT mistake...ONCE. back in the mid 80's, got a two toned car out of it...no extra charge. My insurance company wouldn't partner with that. No "repairing"..and ? is there still a such thing as Bondo?
All new, OEM , from the dealership ONLY parts. As for the other guy saying how brutal hard it is,,,well hell yeah doing it yourself, I only go to, two different shop by my house. Next to my car, they will be working on Lamborghini, Pagani, maybe a Demon...as well as a Toyota or Volkswagen. With customers like Tony Romo, Troy Aikman, Emmit Smith...and the likes there of, . I'll go out on the skinny branches and take a guess they won't be half assing it or skipping anything, and they wont be...or I can say have never so far made me wait 3-4 much less 6. Even my friends Demon, had SO much hail damage, it was a golf ball and RIGHT at being totaled, they fixed it. Now that one, was there 5 weeks, they literally changed every single external surface area, peeled it like an orange/welded....I don't think it was 6 weeks from the hail storm till he was driving it. You want to see "busy n backed up"...HERE after a hail storm...here, where softball sized hail, is nothing shocking.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm asking how long it takes, not how hard it is. a lot of my friends are laughing at me for not doing it myself...say its very easy. From what I remembers ...somewhere I heard about 3-4 hours.
Keep in mind....I'm bringing it to a big shop thats an authorized partner with my insurance company....not "some guy that says he can do it".
Mines is not damaged in a way that is going to effect the removal reinstall, it will be like taking a brand new car and doing this.
On my Scat Pack, the front end was smashed bad. They had to put a new bumper/fascia/ spoiler on, ALL the pieces behind it, the radiator, AC coils, etc etc...a new Drivers side fender , repair passengers fender, ALL the lights, grills etc were toast. I brought it in at Noon on a Tuesday...and had it back Wednesday evening...8 days later.
and about 10 more.....uh these guys are dropping them in 20-30 minutes? I found a ...labor guide that shops used to gig you (ie finish a job in an hour, but charge you 4 cause the book says so)….the labor guide was 3 hours, which means someone that's employed at a shop can do it in an hour. I'm not seeing the "pain n the ass".?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
You sound like OEM procedures and inspections is something that, for one, unusual....and time consuming......Skipping sounds like something some shade treed shop would do, I made THAT mistake...ONCE. back in the mid 80's, got a two toned car out of it...no extra charge. My insurance company wouldn't partner with that. No "repairing"..and ? is there still a such thing as Bondo?
All new, OEM , from the dealership ONLY parts. As for the other guy saying how brutal hard it is,,,well hell yeah doing it yourself, I only go to, two different shop by my house. Next to my car, they will be working on Lamborghini, Pagani, maybe a Demon...as well as a Toyota or Volkswagen. With customers like Tony Romo, Troy Aikman, Emmit Smith...and the likes there of, . I'll go out on the skinny branches and take a guess they won't be half assing it or skipping anything, and they wont be...or I can say have never so far made me wait 3-4 much less 6. Even my friends Demon, had SO much hail damage, it was a golf ball and RIGHT at being totaled, they fixed it. Now that one, was there 5 weeks, they literally changed every single external surface area, peeled it like an orange/welded....I don't think it was 6 weeks from the hail storm till he was driving it. You want to see "busy n backed up"...HERE after a hail storm...here, where softball sized hail, is nothing shocking.

You are trying to have a debate with a collision repair professional when you yourself don't know anything about modern collision repair.

That's just silly.

OEM parts and OEM procedures are not the same thing. Like I said, Dodge requires a steering column replacement on a Challenger for "any" front collision (+many more things). Yours won't get replaced.

Chevy requires that all the seats be pulled to inspect the seat mounting areas of the floor, along with static and dynamic testing of the seat belts, inspection of dash mounting and multiple SRS component mounting checks.

Nissan requires basically all SRS component to be removed, inspected and the fasteners replaced (+ a bunch of other things).

I'm not beating up on you, as a consumer you aren't expected to know anything, that's why you rely on trade skilled professionals.

Your car will likely look fine when you get it back, but I can almost guarantee that most of the items required by Dodge will be ignored.

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker, 2010 Plum Crazy R/T Classic, 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
2,007 Posts
and about 10 more.....uh these guys are dropping them in 20-30 minutes? I found a ...labor guide that shops used to gig you (ie finish a job in an hour, but charge you 4 cause the book says so)….the labor guide was 3 hours, which means someone that's employed at a shop can do it in an hour. I'm not seeing the "pain n the ass".?
LOL, taking the front end off is easy, I have done it 7 times already on 6 different challengers. Go ahead and dismantle (without breaking anything) the stuff that goes into the fascia. I have done all my own work, many times over. Hell I have owned more Challengers than most and can tell you things most won't know. I was just giving some friendly insight into the complexities of the challenger's front assembly. This data is useful in understanding why a book may say 3.5 hours but a shop that may not do a car like this every day is going to find it a "challenge".

Reactions: OregonScat

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Dropping a bumper and taking one off, completely taking it apart and transferring the parts to a new bumper are two completely different things.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You are trying to have a debate with a collision repair professional when you yourself don't know anything about modern collision repair.

That's just silly.

OEM parts and OEM procedures are not the same thing. Like I said, Dodge requires a steering column replacement on a Challenger for "any" front collision (+many more things). Yours won't get replaced.

Chevy requires that all the seats be pulled to inspect the seat mounting areas of the floor, along with static and dynamic testing of the seat belts, inspection of dash mounting and multiple SRS component mounting checks.

Nissan requires basically all SRS component to be removed, inspected and the fasteners replaced (+ a bunch of other things).

I'm not beating up on you, as a consumer you aren't expected to know anything, that's why you rely on trade skilled professionals.

Your car will likely look fine when you get it back, but I can almost guarantee that most of the items required by Dodge will be ignored.
I don't know anything ? 1) you have no clue "what" I do and don't know but, I can tell you this, what I do every day, is a level of detail and intricacy far past auto collision 2) You have no idea what will or will not be ignored 3) I HIT A SUIT CASE in the road, technically hitting a fly is a "collision" my case is a bit of broken plastic in the front 4) I'll go ahead and be blunt...you're spewing all possible inspections, in an effort to dazzle with your knowledge thereof which has NO application in my case , being your obviously diligent in the craft and a stickler for detail (bravo!) so I can assume you did read...again, I hit a suit case...STEERING column replacement? that's not silly that's flat out absurd.

Being you surely did read the minuscule level of impact...aka "collision" what other possible reason COULD you have to state all of this other than a vain attempt to show off or vent on the inadequacy of some shops (NOT where I go). So you have shown you know the inspections but for sure not how to apply in real world situations putting the phrase "collision repair professional " in severe question. So what you have proven is to be superfluous, redundant and an utter waste of time (or what some may label? an "internet troll")......GOOD JOB! I'm "trying to have a debate" ? HA! I'd say I HAD one, and it was easy. Or simply put as the post above you ? "LOL, taking the front end off is easy, I have done it 7 times already on 6 different challengers. "

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
LOL, taking the front end off is easy, I have done it 7 times already on 6 different challengers. Go ahead and dismantle (without breaking anything) the stuff that goes into the facia. I have done all my own work, many times over. Hell I have owned more Challengers than most and can tell you things most won't know. I was just giving some friendly insight into the complexities of the challenger's front assembly. This data is useful in understanding why a book may say 3.5 hours but a shop that may not do a car like this every day is going to find it a "challenge".
THANK you finally "reality" Yeah dropping one and then dropping one and transferring parts (said below) is two different things...BUT, if a "collision professional" can;t do this in a DAY?
thats a problem. Way I see it is off and on, a day, paint 2-3 days and screwing around, etc etc another day....in monday, out friday is reasonable to expect..They can over charge a few hours I don't care....have at it......I want the car back,

1 - 20 of 38 Posts