Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been pretty happy with the brakes on the Challenger. Minimal dusting, strong stopping power, no vibration. What's not to like?

This is what... within the last 1000 miles I've begun to experience some high frequency vibration when braking, and this has been joined by a high pitched squeal. I only have 15k miles on the Challenger, and I'm just coming up on my 1 year anniversary with it.

Am I crazy to expect more than 15k miles out these brakes?

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Do yo have the track pack (manual) or super trak pack (auto)?? If so, thats why. Those options come with the heavy duty brakes which have the softer brake linings. If you wore out the regular non heavy dudty brake pads in 15k you must be driving it hard. :)

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, no track pack. I use the brakes on this car about as hard any other I've owned. I think.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
I'm at 18k with the STP and original breaks and pads with a fair amount of racing and I have at least half the usable pad left. I checked mine before and after last HPDE because I figured I was close.

Sometimes I'll get something caught in the pad (dirt/dust/small stone) that will make it sound like you need to get them replaced (I've got the 20" rims) and it's annoying. I'm just a little more diligent about cleaning the brakes since learning that (and two brake assembly disassemblies later tracking it down).

·
Super Moderator
15,972 Posts
It might be a good idea to have the brakes inspected:

*possible glazing of pads
*apply brake pad paste (anti-squeal) to backside of pads
*inspect surface of rotors for any unusual wear pattern

These (non Brembo) pads should last a lot longer than 15K. Mine has 12.9K on them and look hardly used - no squeal issues.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I just did a pad change at 30,000 KM,s almost 19,000 Miles and here is how the pads looked I would say 1/2 worn?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Wow,you guys are doin alot of crusin.:bigthumb:You have to not only usin em everyday for work but errands and trips as well.I keep mine in a carcapsule and it has never been wet.:)I am way to paranoid to take mine out in this crazy rat race world to use as a daily driver.:notallthere::)But I also bought mine with the intentions of usin it only on picture perfect days.:) If I needed a vehicle to just to use to run around in I would by a used one or a SE.I know that it ruins the experience by worrying about all the other misfits in the world but I won,t even drive it thru a wet surface like a water puddle on the road.:notallthere: I know I have it bad.:notallthere::scratchhead::)

·
Registered
558 Posts
Can I use this discussion to ask a stupid question I was embarrassed about, but maybe it will help the OP also. I got my car home and noticed it did not have the red brakes. My dealer salesmen I worked with are not big car performance guys, and I have not read a lot of literature. The red brakes are which? I just have smaller dark brakes. My sticker does not list any trackpacks, but under the 20-inch chrome wheels it does list Anti-lock 4-Wheel Disc Heavy Duty Brakes. I was calculating other things and just ignored the whole brake issue when purchasing but now I want to catch up.

edit - and if it is correct that the red brakes are Brembo (is it correct), what came stock with them (SRT?) and what were they for R/Ts (available or not, options, what sticker price, etc.)

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Your normal RT calipers are grey and alot smaller than Brembo. I'm not sure what you get with the Track pack and STP for brake stuff but I don't think it's Brembos. The SRTs are the only ones I know that have them. Some people add covers or paint RT calpipers red but they are still smaller than the SRT. I know people have added SRT brakes to RTs but I don't know what it takes. Jake09 and Chris1992 just did that to Chris's RT and they might be able to tell you how much work and $ it was.

·
Registered
558 Posts
thanks for the brake info. I was thinking I saw Brembos on more R/Ts at the dealer and in fact was worried when I noticed at home I did not have them. I now think that I was noticing them on the SRTs at the dealer, not noticing when they were absent on the R/Ts, and got confused.

For the original poster, I can tell you that I think I am a good driver, and I don't do a lot of wasted acceleration and hard braking in my everyday cars, but I am generally harder on brakes than the average person, and I have been borderline feeling like I was ripped off when I have brake pads only lasting 15 or 20K miles. I've been told by several people that the heavy vans and 60s cars I've driven much of my life just wear the pads quickly because of the car weight. It's just something I live with. We all know the weight of the Challengers, so I plan to pick my best deal on brakes and get used to it.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Wow,you guys are doin alot of crusin.:bigthumb:You have to not only usin em everyday for work but errands and trips as well.I keep mine in a carcapsule and it has never been wet.:)I am way to paranoid to take mine out in this crazy rat race world to use as a daily driver.:notallthere::)But I also bought mine with the intentions of usin it only on picture perfect days.:) If I needed a vehicle to just to use to run around in I would by a used one or a SE.I know that it ruins the experience by worrying about all the other misfits in the world but I won,t even drive it thru a wet surface like a water puddle on the road.:notallthere: I know I have it bad.:notallthere::scratchhead::)
If I don't drive it everyday, I can't wear it out and then I will never have an excuse to get a new 392.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
With you there. Only take them out on nice days. Believe it or not....We just washed the R/T and SRT last week and the last tome they were washed was Jan 2010. They don't get dirty when you keep the miles down and drive in nice weather. Just dusty and that's easy to take care of. At this rate the brakes should last for about 20 years...lol.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
With you there. Only take them out on nice days. Believe it or not....We just washed the R/T and SRT last week and the last tome they were washed was Jan 2010. They don't get dirty when you keep the miles down and drive in nice weather. Just dusty and that's easy to take care of. At this rate the breaks should last for about 20 years...lol.
Just put them in a plastic bubble in a time vault!:browsmiley: I have over 40K on mine in almost 2 yrs. Drive it every chance I get. I usually don't drive it in the rain because I'll have to wash it again.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
my RT needed new brakes the day i bought it ... RT brakes ssuucckk .... i will be adding StopTech as soon as the pads wear out .. this car is just to heavy for those lil brakes... thats why the SRT comes with Brembos ... it needs it

·
Registered
304 Posts
My rear brakes (SRT W/ brembos) acquired the permanent squeal at about the 28,000 mile mark, and were worn all the way down. That is with a lot of hard driving and some track time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts