Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there! It's finally time to add a cat-back exhaust to my 2015 R/T. I'm torn between the Borla ATAK and the Solo Mach-X. I really like the sound of both units, after extensive listening on YouTube. I don't have an exhaust shop near me, so I can't hear any in-person. I know it ends up boiling down to user preference, but any advice between the two, or things I should think of before committing?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,755 Posts
The ATAK is said to be loud...I mean LOUD, lol. Be prepared.

A Guy

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right now, I've got open headers on my Nova with a 400 small block. It sounds great, but maybe a little too loud. I'm not afraid of loud, though. I'm leaning towards the Solo, personally, it seems to be a bit tamer but still has that muscle car sound to it. Also, it's $400 less, which is also nice.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Personally, I would never buy a cat-back unless you reallyyy want it. They are just so expensive.

Just cut out the mufflers and/ or resonators and do straight pipe or replace with a louder muffler. Or you can do what I do now and run headers (long tubes) to catless mids to an X pipe and just let it dump under the car. Its loud but tame if you can understand that. Not very raspy but not very monotone.

·
Registered
65 Posts
One of the things that helps me decide best is good in car videos of what they sound like idling, part throttle and WOT. Many videos out there focus on the exterior sound, which is also important but it doesn't truly relate to the driver's experience inside the car. I chose my catback based off of interior videos and past experience with Corsa exhaust on other cars. The mopar performance exhaust on my car is basically a Corsa Sport, but I will say that Corsa did a great job with it. It sounds like an old school 440 winding up through the rpm range which I love, and when I put it in 6th, it's nice and quiet and there is zero drone. Hope this advice helps you.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
I had a Flowmaster American Thunder cat back kit on a '13 R/T 5.7L and it had more of a old school big block sound than the Corsa system I heard on another car (in person). The American Thunder kid doesn't have resonators so there is some drone at low speed (10-20mph) but it was gone at highway speeds. It's also quite a bit cheaper than some other systems. I paid $640 for the kit plus $120 to have it installed at a local shop.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
What are you going to put it on?

I have come to like the Borla ATAK for our cars, really has presence. I would never pay that much $$$ for it though, especially with how good I feel the stock active exhaust sounds. But again, what specific set up are you going to put it on?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts