Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am 37 and my business is doing well so its time to buy my dream car. Ive always loved the 70/71 Challenger and the new shape more recently.
I am in the UK so have a few questions, mainly to the owners of the original.

I wish to drive the car most days, I work from home so will mainly be social usage but quite often. I prefer the older shape but the newer might be better for the salty roads along with the rain and frost here. My heart says the old, my brain says be practical and take the new one and have no worries. I dont have a garage either so the car will be under a full cover when not in use. I have my eye on a 71, solid body, but I don't want to bring it here only to have body or even engine problems. I will clean and cherish her as much as I can but I feel it may not be enough.

So do you live in this type of climate? How the Challenger holding up?

Cheers,

Kall

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
buy a new one, then move to the states, no one should have to live like that. Anything north of I-10 in the states is to far north, IMO, I've done the north, it sucks.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Have owned both

Hey UK guy, go with the new if you don't have a garage, you would not want to ruin a nice ole classic leaving out under a cover....that would be a shame...

Just my Opinion

Al

Hi,

I am 37 and my business is doing well so its time to buy my dream car. Ive always loved the 70/71 Challenger and the new shape more recently.
I am in the UK so have a few questions, mainly to the owners of the original.

I wish to drive the car most days, I work from home so will mainly be social usage but quite often. I prefer the older shape but the newer might be better for the salty roads along with the rain and frost here. My heart says the old, my brain says be practical and take the new one and have no worries. I dont have a garage either so the car will be under a full cover when not in use. I have my eye on a 71, solid body, but I don't want to bring it here only to have body or even engine problems. I will clean and cherish her as much as I can but I feel it may not be enough.

So do you live in this type of climate? How the Challenger holding up?

Cheers,

Kall

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
my business did well last year and thats why i bought one too!

anyways!....i was deciding on a 1970 muscle car a while back...then i decided to go new...reasons?

1. faster
2. better handling
3. modern/ no carburetor/ air bags/ etc
4. about the same price as a high level 1970 resto
5. wont rust out
6. warranty

you could get a 1970 anything for $50k...if you drive it what will the value be in 10 years?...it will have rust by then...the paint will be all chipped.....it will basically be ready for another restoration... its not going to hold its value if you drive it....so why not just get a new one....there is nothing built in 1970 that will do a 1/4 mile @ 12.6 ....nothing will handle or brake like a SRT....what will the repairs be on a 1970 challenger in the next few years? if you buy a 2011 your covered with a warranty...

i looked at a few GTO's and Super Bee's.....but finally decided on a Challenger SRT....it took me about 6 months to finally decide....then 6 months for the 2011's to come out

·
Registered
442 Posts
Owning an old car is a romantic notion that is steeped in nostalgia. The restores look great, but they're still '70s technology. Handling and safety is an issue also. As has been noted, the old bodies do tend to be prone to rusting, even with new paints and sealers, worse obviously when you add salt and snow.

An old car is a project, it requires much more maintenance, so unless you only plan to drive it on a limited basis and happen to know a good mechanic, I'd also go with a newer model.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have a 71 challenger and a 2009 srt8 challenger. Trust me when I tell you it would not be wise to use the 71 as a daily driver. I love both cars but even though my 71 is immaculate with a upgraded suspension I could not deal with the handling and ride on a daily bases, especially considering the modern options available. You will LOVE the new challenger for a number of different reasons. GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Having owned a restored classic previously here's what I remember.

The Good stuff:
Looked fantastic
Did not depreciate

The bad stuff:
Insane drone on the freeway
Terrible brakes
Handling was bad (but in an entertaining way)
Uncomfortable on long trips
Stuff would randomly break that never breaks (seat belts, dash vents, latches) on a car that's not 30-40 years old.
Horrendous Gas mileage (8-10 mpg)

·
Registered
978 Posts
That's the whole point of the new Challenger! The old ones are nice to think about but most owners will tell you that, as a car, they're TERRIBLE!

Go new! Get all the good looks and benefits without the cons of a 70's era rust magnet!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts