Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok fellas the challenger is up for the winter and im going nuts not being able to drive, so its time for some modifications. first off is going to be a set of wheels. ive decided that i want to go with a set of Torq thrust M in a 20''/22'' stagger. what im wanting to know is how wide and tall of a tire i can run without rubbing in the back as well as what offset to use. im not worried about the front b/c im going to use same offset and same size tire as stock. ive done a little research and seems like most of the guys running a stagger have R/Ts, and knowing that my SRT sits a hair lower i need a little input from you SRT guys that have already done what im gettin ready to do

oh and if you have any pics i would like to see them

thanks!
-nathan

·
Banned
903 Posts
I bought Budnik Cobalt rims in 20X9 & 20X10 with BFG 295/40/20 rear & 245/40/20 front's. I'm waiting on the rims to come in so I don't have any on the car pic's yet but hopefully soon.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bump bump.....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
anybody at all have some input on this?

·
Registered
389 Posts
The fact that you are going to 22" wheels in the back of course confuses the ever lovin [email protected] outta things.... I have been told that you can get 315's to fit the rear (on 20" wheels...).

I have on order 20x9 front and 20x10 rear Rocket wheels with 255 45 20 front and 295 40 20 rear.

Good luck with your fitment!

·
Banned
117 Posts
Do some research on the forum. The 22's are tricky. 295's have been put on but there aren't many sizes above that that will give you meat and will look like rubber band tires. 285's with decent meat have been put on but they are more like truck tires.
Instead of asking what offset to use, tell us what the offset is on the Torq Trust wheels. They are not custom made so you have no choice in this matter.
Good luck.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Running 20" up front and 22" out back will likely require some tuning. I read in another post someone had different sized wheels on the front and back and it affected their cruise control (55mph limit), and the accuracy of their speedometer. Someone else who did the same had corrected those problems using a Predator to make adjustments to the ECM for the different wheel sizes.

You may want to consult with a tire professional to get an idea of how wide (and tall) you can go out back. Obviously, if you're running 22s on the back, you'll likely need a lower profile than 45 (stock) on an SRT8 to prevent rub - I'd say no more than 40, probably more like 30, and you'll want the front profile to match the rear for overall symmetry - again, probably a good idea to consult a tire professional to see what your options are.

I have an SRT8 and recently did aftermarket wheels. I didn't staggar primarily because I want to be able to rotate my tires in order to get longer use out of them. Obviously with directional tires, you can't rotate them if they are staggared, so the tread life is less than it otherwise might be. If you're just looking to have a wider tire in the rear, you can go up to 275s on the 9" rims without issue, which will give you a 12" wide patch on the asphalt. As far as offset, its less of an issue than backspace (brakes not withstanding). Typically, your backspace (how far off center the rim mounts to the hub) should be the same front and back for balance and alignment purposes. Also, because backspace sets how far in/out from center your wheels mount to the hub, you need to be mindful of your tire width (if going wide) compared to how much inner fender space you have to play with. All that dribble said, however, if what you really want is a larger diameter wheel on the rear with smaller ones up front - consult a tire professional as to the options and impact. From what I've read, the ECM on the Challenger will "sense" you're running different size wheels and it will need to be tuned to accomodate that - unlike the old days before ECMs, where if it fit, you could run it without a computer getting upset.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Running 20" up front and 22" out back will likely require some tuning. I read in another post someone had different sized wheels on the front and back and it affected their cruise control (55mph limit), and the accuracy of their speedometer. Someone else who did the same had corrected those problems using a Predator to make adjustments to the ECM for the different wheel sizes.

You may want to consult with a tire professional to get an idea of how wide (and tall) you can go out back. Obviously, if you're running 22s on the back, you'll likely need a lower profile than 45 (stock) on an SRT8 to prevent rub - I'd say no more than 40, probably more like 30, and you'll want the front profile to match the rear for overall symmetry - again, probably a good idea to consult a tire professional to see what your options are.

I have an SRT8 and recently did aftermarket wheels. I didn't staggar primarily because I want to be able to rotate my tires in order to get longer use out of them. Obviously with directional tires, you can't rotate them if they are staggared, so the tread life is less than it otherwise might be. If you're just looking to have a wider tire in the rear, you can go up to 275s on the 9" rims without issue, which will give you a 12" wide patch on the asphalt. As far as offset, its less of an issue than backspace (brakes not withstanding). Typically, your backspace (how far off center the rim mounts to the hub) should be the same front and back for balance and alignment purposes. Also, because backspace sets how far in/out from center your wheels mount to the hub, you need to be mindful of your tire width (if going wide) compared to how much inner fender space you have to play with. All that dribble said, however, if what you really want is a larger diameter wheel on the rear with smaller ones up front - consult a tire professional as to the options and impact. From what I've read, the ECM on the Challenger will "sense" you're running different size wheels and it will need to be tuned to accomodate that - unlike the old days before ECMs, where if it fit, you could run it without a computer getting upset.
great intel thanks much bub

·
Registered
35 Posts
295's with alittle room

I've got 9x20 in front with 245- should have done 265 & 10x20 with 295 in back.
Factory Reproductions of the Dodge Viper Sport Alloy Wheels - Black

i only did 295's because they started on SRT factory wheels which where 9" wide and that was pushing the max width alittle. Now that their on new wheel with back spacing i believe 305's will fit with out rub and 315's will fit with slight rub under exteme corning. Tire guides suggest 10 1/2" rim for anything larger the 305 on 20 rim. Go with 20's & the side-wall will help with traction. As is it's hard to put all the power to the ground off the line. Just my 2 cents

1 - 10 of 10 Posts