Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
HAHAHA! At least!

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got your money's worth!

DO they valves hit the pistons on V6 Toyotas?
Alright you got me, that's not mine. I actually found that while searching for tips on how to do mine.

The good news is i got mine done in less than 8 hours. The bad news is somebody out there actually let theirs go that long!!

·
Premium Member
6,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow... dont know how many miles were on the car in your original pic, but the timing belt seems to be just another way for designers and engineers to "cheap-out" on otherwise critical components. Total BS.
The belt on mine looked no worse for the wear when i pulled it off, and I've got 115K on it. In fact, from all the research I did beforehand, no one ever experiences a belt failure, its always the tensioner pulley that goes first.

If the same is true for that engine above, they must have gone well beyond the 100K mile interval, like well into the 200K range Im thinking.

What blows me away is the OP said they replaced everything and the engine ran just fine...now THAT'S some good luck IMO!

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
I had an old Supra and the timing belt went out on it while I as driving, car shut off and there was literally only dust left inside the timing belt cover!!! Fortunately that was not an interference engine, so after a new belt she was good as new! Gotta love Toyotas, they are the preferred choice for terrorists LOL!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Wow... dont know how many miles were on the car in your original pic, but the timing belt seems to be just another way for designers and engineers to "cheap-out" on otherwise critical components. Total BS.
I would argue it keeps the timing way more steady/accurate than any chain. Chains always stretch.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
I'm not sure what you are referring to.....

·
Premium Member
6,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would argue it keeps the timing way more steady/accurate than any chain. Chains always stretch.
it's pretty much a "six-one; half-dozen the other" situation it seems to me...

Chains stretch, yes, but as a general rule don't require regular maintenance intervals like the belts do.

But there are no free lunches in my opinion, as belts may be more accurate, relatively speaking, but performing the maintenances on them (and all their associated parts) can certainly be a pain the butt (or expensive as all get-out if opted to have done by professional)!!

maybe one day we'll have a setup which takes the best of both worlds and leaves the bad of each behind...a chain-belt...or a belt-chain?

<shudder>

still sounds painful to deal with :yesnod:

·
Premium Member
6,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,352 Posts
Congrats on getting that done, Nuke. I know it wasn't easy. Got quite a charge out of that picture.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
So I spend my evening finishing up the actual timing belt & water pump maintenance write-up, and you are going to get any $$ it generates?!?!

:scratchhead:

Something ain't stirring the Kool-Aid with that deal...I think I need a new lawyer!!
There will be money for all of us. Ever hear of Fast and Loud? Done, now NukeTV.! We'll worry about the details later.
Now you have to say or do something clever while I peddle this thing to the cable stations. OH, you better quit your day job. It could get time sensitive. Hahaha!

·
Premium Member
6,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There will be money for all of us. *Ever hear of Fast and Loud? * Done, now NukeTV.! We'll worry about the details later.
Now you have to say or do something clever while I peddle this thing to the cable stations. OH, you better quit your day job. It could get time sensitive. Hahaha!
Oh yeah, the garage and restaurant/bar in that show is here in Dallas. I have actually been to the restaurant/bar (met up with a CT member that was in town in fact), and it's a decent place...good food and drinks, but it was all thrown in chaos when the evening's entertainment (some hair-metal band) suddenly broke into concert right behind us. :ugh:

I haven't watched the show in a while, as it seemed to me it was getting more and more outrageous as the seasons went on, all for the sake of being outrageous it appeared. But hey, that fella certainly has a nose for making money, no matter what the business venture, I will give him that!

As far as quitting my day job goes, DONE!! I was never cut out for the professional world anyway...only thing is, until we get this venture off the ground, it looks like me and the wife will have to live off her job's income, which is much less than mine unfortunately...MUCH less...like 75% less...so we need to get this gig going PRONTO!! :eek:hyeah:

·
Premium Member
6,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Congrats on getting that done, Nuke. I know it wasn't easy. Got quite a charge out of that picture.
Thanks, it was definitely one of the more daunting tasks I've undertaken so far on either of the Challengers I've owned.

All in all, it was not as bad as I had it built up in my mind that it would be...though there were certainly numerous opportunities to muck it up along the way. And the whole mystery surrounding which tools to get to pull/install the harmonic dampener, followed by the failure of both sets to actually work once I found and acquired the right ones, has left a really bad taste in my mouth...but ultimately I figured out how to get the danged thing off and back on without screwing it up, so I guess I'll let it go.

There were certainly several points during the period leading up to the actual event at which I was seriously considering just taking it to a shop and paying them to do it, but the ~$1000 price tag of such a service was just too danged much to swallow. And now, having actually done it, and having done it for about $200 in parts, that $1K price tag is all the more outrageous to think about...but, I guess mechanics gotta eat too, so I won't bemoan them trying to make a living off their craft...

(but if they're planning on buying food from MY timing belt maintenances, they'd better be shopping the Ramen Noodle section, HAHAHAHA!!)

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Oh yeah, the garage and restaurant/bar in that show is here in Dallas. I have actually been to the restaurant/bar (met up with a CT member that was in town in fact), and it's a decent place...good food and drinks, but it was all thrown in chaos when the evening's entertainment (some hair-metal band) suddenly broke into concert right behind us. :ugh:

I haven't watched the show in a while, as it seemed to me it was getting more and more outrageous as the seasons went on, all for the sake of being outrageous it appeared. But hey, that fella certainly has a nose for making money, no matter what the business venture, I will give him that!

As far as quitting my day job goes, DONE!! I was never cut out for the professional world anyway...only thing is, until we get this venture off the ground, it looks like me and the wife will have to live off her job's income, which is much less than mine unfortunately...MUCH less...like 75% less...so we need to get this gig going PRONTO!! :eek:hyeah:
ON IT!
I'll start with Discovery and work around, velocity and who knows perhaps espn if I pitch it right. Kinda sporty! That's your end. Perhaps you should have just like given notice.......

·
Premium Member
6,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ON IT!
I'll start with Discovery and work around, velocity and who knows perhaps espn if I pitch it right. Kinda sporty! That's your end. *Perhaps you should have just like given notice.*......
That's some sage advice no doubt...very helpful...of course, it would have been even more helpful to me had you mentioned it before I told my boss "See ya, wouldn't wanna BE ya!" and skipped out the front door singing Johnny Paycheck's "Take This Job and Shove It" at the top of my lungs....but whatever, the past is in the past, and the future is NOW!! LET'S DO THIS!! :woot:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts