Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,347 Posts
You wrote “belt”, but Challenger engines have timing chains. Is that what you meant? Or perhaps you meant accessory serpentine belt?

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
818 Posts
Wasn't the 3.5 in them for a couple years(9,10?), those have a belt. Great engine at the time (1993 Intrepids/Prowlers...)

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
What is the average life expectancy in your timing belt does anyone know
A timing belt, or accessory drive belt, should be changed on the factory schedule. Average life expectancy is not really applicable. If a timing belt fails this can result in serious damage to the engine so the factory change schedule has "plenty" of safety margin. I would not try to count on this though and push my luck.

When I had a car (VW Golf) with a timing belt I had the belt changed at around 70K to 75K miles vs. waiting until the factory 80K miles.

·
Premium Member
4,671 Posts
The 2010 and below Challengers with the 3.5L have a Timing belt, yes. And when replacing the timing belt, it is recommended to also replace the timing belt tensioner and the water pump at the same time.

All in all, the job is doable by your average shade-tree mechanic, but it’s far from easy...easy to mess up, more like it.

Here’s a write up on doing the job for anyone wanting to attempt it:

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
if yours has a belt (some early ones do), staying out of MDS seems to help. there is quite a trail of related belt failures while in or transfering into/out of MDS mode.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts