Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else get a recall notification for replacing the timing chain and chain guide on the 5.7 hemi challengers 2009 to 2012 with automatic transmission ? It says a fracture in the guide may cause the timing chain to break causing severs damage to engine. Ya think!!!! Just got My notice in the mail and I contacted My dealer Who doesn't have the parts yet. I hope they get them faster than the parts for My jeep recall that's been 4 months and they still do not have them . Flat broke 2010 pcp RT Classic.

·
Registered
558 Posts

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
Call your dealer.Get it done soon,there are over 50,000 cars that need it.I would suspect there is going to be a backorder for the parts.

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
Call your dealer.Get it done soon,there are over 50,000 cars that need it.I would suspect there is going to be a backorder for the parts.
They going to expand that out to the 09-12, 300c? It's the same auto, hemi MDS
Especially the 09's since they are covered for life anyway...

·
Registered
860 Posts
I have not recieved any recall notification as yet,hopefully soon because we have 20,000 miles on the car now.
You don't have to wait for the letter. I read about the recall on here two days after it was issued. Called the dealer, they checked my VIN, said yep it's under recall and I took it in a couple days later and got it done. Still haven't received a letter. I would call now, because I think a lot of people are on a wait list for parts by now. And, by reading the posts about it, you should have another 10,000 miles before it goes out (if it goes out), but why take that chance. Mine had 46,000 on it when I took it in, but others haven't been that lucky.

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Recall

Ditto on having looked up my vin, I am taking it in Monday morning. I need her ready for Spring Festival at the end of the month!

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
why autos only ? how can the mds cause this ? I turned my mds off right after I bought my car. no recalls on my 05 magnum R/T should be the same motor , Right ? Not a dealer worth a poop here in Oklahoma city, they bent my door jam replacing my cracked rockers. don't want em inside my motor

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
why autos only ? how can the mds cause this ? I turned my mds off right after I bought my car. no recalls on my 05 magnum R/T should be the same motor , Right ? Not a dealer worth a poop here in Oklahoma city, they bent my door jam replacing my cracked rockers. don't want em inside my motor
I don't think it was the MDS causing it... but rather some of the timing chain parts that they used on the MDS motors that differed from the 6-sp 5.7 & all the 6.1's. Don't remember exactly as I read those threads on here & lx years ago. I got memmory issues. lol

Our 300c has just under 50k... and I'm with you, as far as being torn about letting the local retards touch it.
I fought my way up the corp ladder years ago after a dealer fubar'd my wifes old lebaron.
That dealer ended up providing me with a new head, and a check for $3k to have the bottom end rebuilt by an independent shop.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I don't think it was the MDS causing it... but rather some of the timing chain parts that they used on the MDS motors that differed from the 6-sp 5.7 & all the 6.1's. Don't remember exactly as I read those threads on here & lx years ago. I got memmory issues. lol

Our 300c has just under 50k... and I'm with you, as far as being torn about letting the local retards touch it.
I fought my way up the corp ladder years ago after a dealer fubar'd my wifes old lebaron.
That dealer ended up providing me with a new head, and a check for $3k to have the bottom end rebuilt by an independent shop.
6.1 motor has a completely different timing chain set up. No issues.
5.7 with VVT and no MDS is fine. No reported failiures.
5.7 with VVT and MDS is the issue.
Both 5.7 with and without MDS use the same timing components.
MDS cycling with VVT is causing undue stress on the plastic guide shoe, and when it fractures, so goes the motor.
New chain guide is metal construction.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Got our notice today... I hate to have those bozos inside the engine also but I probably dont have a choice...... Now its ALWAYS gonna leak

·
Registered
31 Posts
I haven't received a letter yet. So I checked the VIN on the website and it has a recall. So I called the dealership and am taking it in next Monday night and they will have it for 2 days. They offered me a rental.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Same here. She goes in next Tuesday. They said it is a 2 day repair.:notsigned:
My dealer says it's a 4 hour job. I'm on the list...even tho mine failed in 2012, they say have to do it again. Dealers can only order one kit every seven days.

·
Registered
15 Posts
P01 Recall

I heard the replacement kit includes an aluminum guide rather than the stock plastic nonsense, question I have is are they using another stock timing chain as a replacement? Take a look at the stock TC, looks like a bike chain. No wonder they bust when the guide goes.
Anyone know if there's a beefier aftermarket TC available for a 2012 R/T? I can only find the Manley kit which is for earlier models....
Thanks

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
MDS is the culprit has not been a reported failure when not cruising in MDS mode. The chains are sized smaller due to space limitations.I havent used MDS since my car was a month old and I heard the harmonic vibration.Had just removed the resonators. Sounded and felt nearly as bad as using the wrong harmonic balancer on a 400ci SBC. Only the old time gearheads would understand what I mean. I havent received my letter yet, not worried as my MDS has been turned off since DS made that feature available a couple of years ago and prior I just drove in auto-stick.

·
Premium Member
Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
104 Posts
My service manager said that Dodge service departments will only be able to order one timing chain kit per week, limiting them to doing the recalls at that frequency. The soonest I was able to make an appointment was for April 2nd. They let me speak to the mechanic who will do the work. He has done four so far, three under the recall. All of the guide tensioners were fine. To do this job, the coolant wil be drained and replaced. The oil will be drained so you will need to provide whatever oil you prefer if you don't want dealer oil. The bottom of the timing chain cover mates up with the front lip of the oil pan, and they claim the pan gasket is reusable. In order to gain access to everything once the drive belt and tensioner is removed, the alternator and A/C compressor are unbolted off their mounts but not disconnected to provide clearance. Make sure you ask for your old chain, tensioner and related parts to be returned to you. Get on the list now, before all the law enforcement Chargers start lining up!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts