Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks i just got a letter from Chrysler and i was informed that my car 2010 challenger r/t classic was infact under recall for a timing chain , tensioner, guide, cover gasket and a couple of o-rings. Are Chrysler also replacing the cam and crank sprockets and oil control solenoid? As being a Mechanic i dont see the sense on changing just the chain , tensioner ,and guide and not changing the sprockets. Thanks for any info.

·
Premium Member
2,418 Posts
Are Chrysler also replacing the cam and crank sprockets and oil control solenoid? As being a Mechanic i dont see the sense on changing just the chain , tensioner ,and guide and not changing the sprockets. Thanks for any info.
1 Chain, Engine Timing
1 Guide, Engine Timing Chain
1 Tensioner, Engine Timing Chain
1 O-ring, Oil Pick-up Tube
1 Gasket, Engine Timing Cover

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I haven't gotten anything in the mail, is the recall something new, i know that its been a problem for some, and thought about having it done anyway, but figured i'd wait since the car has low miles on it

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
timing chain recall

Hi there, yes just got a letter from Chrysler today stating that my car has the timing chain recall. Double checked the Vin # and sure enough it made the list, just can`t figure out why they wouldn`t replace the cam and crank sprockets also.

·
Registered
2010 Challenger SRT 6spd detonator yellow
495 Posts
can someone please post the vin # list for all of us to see

·
Registered
330 Posts
According to the service guy at Dodge all 2009-2014 5.7 Hemi automatics are involved in the recall.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Mine is a 2010 RT Classic with the 5.7 Auto in it, so I'm pretty sure it fits within the recall now that i know about it. I'll be checking the vin against the tool tomorrow when i get some time, and then calling dodge to schedule the work for next week if i can. Not sure if they'll give me a loaner or not as the warranty is expired on the 36 mos warranty, the drivetrain warranty is still in effect.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Just get the last 8 numbers of your VIN and call the dealer. I called the one at Regency as soon as I heard about the recall on this site. It was only about two days after the recall was issued. They asked me for the last 8 numbers, said yep it's under recall, and asked when I wanted to bring it in. I dropped it off on my way to work and picked it up after work.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Two weeks ago i had my Mopar stage 1 springs installed and when i picked it up was informed of the po1 as it is called recall.Was told to check back in three weeks but got my recall letter this week. I called today and was informed that they only get one timing chain kit a week,so now i'm on the waiting list approx one month wait. As long as it is there i would like to know if i can get the mds disabled?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2012 challenger srt
1,951 Posts
Hi folks i just got a letter from Chrysler and i was informed that my car 2010 challenger r/t classic was infact under recall for a timing chain , tensioner, guide, cover gasket and a couple of o-rings. Are Chrysler also replacing the cam and crank sprockets and oil control solenoid? As being a Mechanic i dont see the sense on changing just the chain , tensioner ,and guide and not changing the sprockets. Thanks for any info.
The sprockets are not worn and are not the problem. If you were going to change them you might as well change the brakes while your doing the job.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
timing chain parts

As being a Mechanic for the last 26 years, just saying that i would never change a chain without changing the gears/sprockets that the chain meshes with ,after all it metal on metal we are talking about. If you were to rebuild a high horsepower engine would you want just the chain replaced and not the sprockets , if so i guess your not up to speed on the mechanical side of things, just saying. Chrysler should also replace the oil control solenoid as this may be the root of the problem, they do have a revised solenoid 53022338AB and if i have to i will pay to have it changed out the same time. Thanks

·
Registered
225 Posts
As being a Mechanic for the last 26 years, just saying that i would never change a chain without changing the gears/sprockets that the chain meshes with ,after all it metal on metal we are talking about. If you were to rebuild a high horsepower engine would you want just the chain replaced and not the sprockets , if so i guess your not up to speed on the mechanical side of things, just saying. Chrysler should also replace the oil control solenoid as this may be the root of the problem, they do have a revised solenoid 53022338AB and if i have to i will pay to have it changed out the same time. Thanks

I've been through three oil control solenoids, two of which were the updated part. TC broke later. I don't think this is the issue, just related. Most likely something else is triggering the error code for the oil control solenoid but being an intermittent issue, they just replace it, quickly test it, and say all is good.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Two weeks ago i had my Mopar stage 1 springs installed and when i picked it up was informed of the po1 as it is called recall.Was told to check back in three weeks but got my recall letter this week. I called today and was informed that they only get one timing chain kit a week,so now i'm on the waiting list approx one month wait. As long as it is there i would like to know if i can get the mds disabled?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Chrysler will not disable your MDS, so options for that are on you (tuner being the most common).
Someone also asked about whether a loaner would be provided, and I think that depends on the circumstances. Corp authorized a loaner for me, requested by the dealer, likely due to mine being their first recall and plans to have my car overnight. My recall notice was through corporate, just before the notices were sent out nationally, so my dealer was responding to a request from the top, not directly from me. I was out of the 3/36 warranty, with the recall performed at just over 54,000 miles.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts