Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 6.4 SRT8 and when I went to start it today, it started for a moment and then immediately shut down. It seems to be cranking over much too easily when I tried to start it back up. I checked the CEL code and I got P0300, which is multiple misfire(s). I then removed the cam sensor and peeked in the hole with a flashlight, but do not see the timing chain. Should I be able to see it? Thanks

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,676 Posts
I have a 2011 6.4 SRT8 and when I went to start it today, it started for a moment and then immediately shut down. It seems to be cranking over much too easily when I tried to start it back up. I checked the CEL code and I got P0300, which is multiple misfire(s). I then removed the cam sensor and peeked in the hole with a flashlight, but do not see the timing chain. Should I be able to see it? Thanks
When the engine fails to start and one lets the engine crank longer the engine spins faster than one is used to. Some report the engine has lost compression.

The reason it appears to spin faster is because it is spinning faster.

Because normally the starter does not have to spin the engine very fast before it fires. It only takes one cylinder to go through a good intake/compression/power stroke to get the engine running.

But if the engine does not start the starter can obtain full speed and that's why the engine is spinning faster.

P0300 is multiple misfires. That's not a timing chain problem. If I had to guess I'd say the fuel pump quit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you sir, I am really hoping it's not the timing chain..... I am curious if I would be able to see the chain too.
I'll see if I can troubleshoot the fuel pump, any ideas. Cheers

·
Super Moderator
16,633 Posts
the cam sensor is near the cam sprocket which has a large ring with holes stamped out that triggers the cam position sensor.

the chain is back toward the block more, so you won't see the chain peering through that sensor's hole

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,676 Posts
Thank you sir, I am really hoping it's not the timing chain..... I am curious if I would be able to see the chain too.
I'll see if I can troubleshoot the fuel pump, any ideas. Cheers
Not sure if the timing chain is visible through where you were looking. I suspect not and the chain's still intact.

If the cam chain had let go I think you'd know it. My 2nd hand info is the Hemi engines are interference engines. If the valves no longer open and close (especially close) at the proper times piston and valve contact will occur.

Thus you would probably not be able to crank the engine.

BTW, I lost a chain on a motorcycle once and the thing shot out and I never found it. Had a timing chain let go you could probably see the chain through the hole it made in the timing chain cover.

For trouble shooting the fuel pump in some cases the fuel pump should come on when the ignition is turned on.

The time I had a suspected fuel pump go bad -- this in another car -- I used a bypass (test) relay to ensure the fuel pump relay was not the problem. (I borrowed the bypass relay from a tech at the dealer.) I checked the fuse.

When both the relay and the fuse proved not to be the problem I had the car flat bedded to the dealer. The tech disconnected the battery cables. Then the tech disconnected the fuel pump from the wiring harness and connected 12V shop power to the pump. The pump did not run. He replaced the pump.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well it turned out to be a bad fuel-pump relay (located in the trunk fuse box). After Rockstar suggested it might be the fuel pump, I did a little troubleshooting. Switched out with a known good one with the suspect relay and she started right up. Big swing from thinking it might be the timing chain to a $10 relay. Yippee!! Thank you gentlemen for your response(s). Cheers

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Maybe this post should get a sticky? Good thing to know for anyone else who might run into this problem.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,279 Posts
Hal is right, if it was the timing chain you would know as the hemi is an interference motor. Good thing the fuel pump relays are swap-able...some FCA vehicles have them soldered to the TIPM circuit board which is a major PITA to replace.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts