Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[I posted this over at the Diablosport forums but thought I would post here as well]

Hey all!

I got my Intune in March for my 2010 Challenger R/T auto primarily to disable the MDS but I figured I would try the 91 octane tune and see if it wakes it up a little. The only mods under the hood are a K&N series 57 CAI and Zoomers catback exhaust and I was running 89 octane previously and all seemed OK before. When I got the Intune I plugged it into the PC and checked for updates and it said there were none, so I plugged it into the car and loaded up the 91 CAI tune and turned off MDS, adjusted the RPM limit to 6200 and upped the speed limiter.

Occasionally, when I hit a certain RPM range, I hear it rattling for a sec under the hood. To me it sounds like a car that needs it's timing adjusted…I don't know a bunch about how the computer adjusts timing on the fly, but I'm thinking i probably need to go back to the stock tune, switch back to 89 octane and just disable the MDS since this wasn't happening before? I gave it a little time and ran 3 tanks of gas just to make sure it wasn't a bad tank…and I always use Chevron gas and it's been fine in the past. I live in CA so 91 octane is the highest we can use here.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
91 Tune, means You need to run 91octane fuel.!!!!!!!! That's what the tune does, adds timing, soooo you need octane. You will hammer the pistons out at that rate.The rattle you hear is detnation. So you taking chunks right out of the pistons when you hear it rattleing. Caution, read everything about your tuner before using.
FT

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
91 Tune, means You need to run 91octane fuel.!!!!!!!! That's what the tune does, adds timing, soooo you need octane. You will hammer the pistons out at that rate.The rattle you hear is detnation. So you taking chunks right out of the pistons when you hear it rattleing. Caution, read everything about your tuner before using.
FT

As I said...running 91 octane. I basically ran the close to E and topped off with 91 octane...then loaded up the 91CAI preset tune. Ran 3 tanks of 91 through it to clear out all the 89...still knocking. Datalogging shows th KR ST at a high of 9.5 degrees.

I did read the manuals but they don't go too in depth...I didn't think a stock tune that has been tested and tweaked would throw the KR so far out.

·
Premium Member
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
I see, ya was looking like you used low octane fuel. Sorry bout that.
Man that's alotbof timing. How old the plugs. You have a catch can? If not that will kill octane. Oil vapor will. Do you buzz the motor very high ? 6400 high. Alot.??
Say you can hear it, right. Marbels in a can sound.
Is it at part throttle or once wot. Like to see a screen shot of your log file.
FT

·
Premium Member
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
Have you tried high octane fuel. Like find 104 race gas unleaded and dump in 5 gal.
Just helps to trouble shoot it. Or a can of torco. Don't try off shelf octane boosters, most are snake oil.
FT

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have 38k on it and changed the plugs myself at 32k...so they should be Ok. I live in CA so 91 Octane is tops as far as fuel goes and it's my DD so having to put in a booster isn't something I want to do. No catch can...but the stock tune seems to get rid of KR almost completely...and with so little on the odometer you think that could be it?

Here is the thread where I posted pics of the dataviewer and attatched the log file:

Diablosport Forums • View topic - Timing "rattle" with 91 octane tune

Thanks for your reply!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I don't run a tune yet, but I thought the 91 octane tune was perfect with 93 octane fuel. And, if you can't get 93 octane fuel, not to do it. This is just what I have heard, so take it with a grain of salt! This is my way subscribing, as I'm curious to your outcome.

·
Super Moderator
16,633 Posts
You may want to try different brands to see if you get better results.

This has been an issue with tuning - some brands don't yield the same results as their additive packages differ.

I'd recommend: Union 76, Texaco, Exxon, Chevron, Mobil, BP, Shell - CostCo also shows up as Top Tier brand as well.

With the 91 octane being the upper limit in CA, you may have to dial back some timing if you can't eliminate the spark knock by trying out the brands listed.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I always have used Chevron...and it's the only gas I have used in my Hemi's (I had a Charger with a 5.7 for 6 years previously). My reason is I think Techron is the only additive that actually does anything. It's not always the same Chevron either...some by work...a couple different ones by home etc.

I primarily bought the tuner to disable MDS but was hoping to gain a little HP by trying their preset 91 CAI tune. After I restored back to the stock tune and modified it with shift firmness, RPM limit etc, I think I can live with it since I don't know much about adjusting spark or have higher octane fuel options. A little bummed but it's Ok.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Ok...I'm having a few doubts that what I'm hearing is actually timing knock. Maybe if someone can answer these questions I will have a better idea.

1. After i restored the stock tune and did a 10 minute datalogging run...I heard the rattle a little bit. When I checked the datalog it showed KR LT at 0 and KR ST at 1. Is it possible for timing knock to occur with the highest KR showing at 1 degree?

2. Today after driving it for a bit and hearing the rattle here and there...I stopped the car, put the tranny in Park...and did several short revs up to 4k RPM and it sounded smooth with no rattle. I put in in drive and at about 2500-3000 rpm I heard it rattle for a sec. If you had timing knock would you not hear it in park and only hear it in drive?

I have Zoomers catback exhaust and was reading about some weld issues and rattling coming from under the car. I crawled under the car and everything feels good and I have the older "X" bend pipes that doesn't have the problematic straight pipes with the little support bars welded on.

I'm just wondering if it could be something else.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
16,633 Posts
Usually you only see spark knock with the engine under load - being in Park / Neutral wouldn't produce spark knock.

Reactions: Flat Top

·
Registered
540 Posts
Maybe your catalytic converters are actually falling apart and that's what you hear?

·
Premium Member
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
Force 10 did you find the cause of the noise you hear ? Is it knock or something broke.
FT

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
I reviewed his log and he is getting KNK with the throttle practically closed. It don’t look right at all.

Op, try some more logs. Try to run out 1st & 2nd gear at or near WOT.
Did you add any timing to the 91 Octane tune? I saw you were advanced as high as 22 degrees in your log with partial throttle which is about 3 or 4 more degrees than I would have expected from a 91 tune.
Looks like you're blipping the throttle. Try to get some long consistent runs to log.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts