Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into getting my '15 Challenger SXT Plus windows tinted.
Know absolutely nothing about it and have no idea where to start.
Any suggestions?

- Brand
- %
- Color
- Windshield do or nah?
- What to look out for
- General quote range
- Legality

I'm in CA if that makes any difference
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
You can Google California Tint laws. It will tell you the legal tint limit for rear, side, and front. The only way to get windshield tinted is that you need a doctors note clarifying that your eyes are light sensitive. You can put some tint on the front, but only from the AS1 line an up.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks @dodgeboy
If I understand the % correct, I think I can have 40% for my driver/passenger side windows, the small window corners for the rear seats and the back windshield.
How about brands, types?
I read somewhere that 3M Chrystalline is great.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,976 Posts
Tint depends on what you can get away with in your area. Here in CA any tint on front side windows is illegal. The factory tint is 70%, and that's the legal allowed, so any additional % is on top of the factory tint. That said, many do 35% which is where it starts to be you can't see who is in the car. My last car I had 50% sides for 21 years with no issue. I'd have liked to do 35%, or even darker, but plan to keep this car a long time, so I went 45% sides, and 18% rear (any % is legal on rear if you have two outside rear view mirrors). I got the Suntek CXP carbon tint.

https://www.suntekfilms.com/automotive/automotive-cxp.aspx

https://www.suntekfilms.com/Files/SunTek Auto Specs.pdf

Here's an idea what it looks like with something behind, and with just sky behind. Mind this was a foggy day

001.JPG

002.JPG

There are several choices of good, non-metallic (No signal degradation) tints available.

Glass/Window Tinting - AAA Digest of Motor Laws

A Guy

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks man! Your car looks amazing.
Let's converge our convo here.
Did you get your back windshield tinted too?
Since you're in the Bay, do you have a shop in mind in East Bay?
What's the difference between carbon and ceramic? I seem to see alot of those.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,976 Posts
Lol, I'll post the other reply here

I can't tell you specifics, but a well known brand like the 3M is also good. A good tint shop should be able to tell you the differences. Mostly heat and UV rejection, carbon/ceramic is non metallic, important for phone/satellite, radio reception. How colorfast the film is, will it fade, turn purple (cheap films). Warranty on film (and installation by the shop). I can tell you that while 18% sounds pretty dark, for rear window, I hardly notice it's there, even at night, no issue. For the sides, since it's pretty much illegal, it's generally about law enforcement's feeling of safety...being able to see the occupants, and what they are doing. You can get pulled over just for tint, but as I mentioned, many go darker, and assuming you drive normally, even that may be OK.

You can go Limo, 5% for the rear legally, but how well you can see out at that point is the issue. I went the same for all side windows, but you can go darker on the quarter windows as well. I wanted them to look the same. The quarter windows generally look darker anyway because of their size, and the background which is the interior, as opposed to the fronts which is the opposite window. My shop wouldn't warranty the installation on the front windows since it's basically illegal. The film has the warranty, but not their installation. They are the best in town, and I waited almost 3 months to get it done with them, so it wasn't a worry.

Different brands have different tint levels available. Mine had 35, 45, 55. You can do clear tint on windshield for heat/UV rejection. You can also tint a certain percentage just a strip at top, etc. It's listed in that tint law link I posted. If your shop is highly regarded, they can answer your questions, can usually show you samples, and even cars with varying tint %s, and their work and treatment of your car will be good. Good luck, tint really enhances the look, on any color car.

I did not do anything to the windshield myself. I live on the peninsula, and my shop was near me in Belmont. I'm sure you can find one closer. Google

Best tint shop in (your zip code)

you'll get Yelp lists, and you can read some reviews.

A Guy

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome, detailed response!
Let me look into the shops around my area for sure.
I'm just nervous due to scratches/dents that were left by previous services.
I may just go with what you go (Suntek) and evaluate it against 3M.

I have a small list of work to do: detailing, tinting, new tires, alignment. Once all that is done I'll post some pics here as a huge thank you.
Stay tuned!!

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
I may just go with what you go (Suntek) and evaluate it against 3M.

I have a small list of work to do: detailing, tinting, new tires, alignment. Once all that is done I'll post some pics here as a huge thank you.
Stay tuned!!
I had Suntek installed 3 weeks ago. I went with the ceramic because my main goal was heat and UV rejection.

I couldn't be happier with my choice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I live in northern California. I got suntek carbon 5% on the rear windows and 8% on the two fronts. Police don't even glance at me. But I'm deleating my mid muffler tomorrow so now the real test ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts