Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting my windows tinted and can't decide what percentage to go with. In MN legal is 50% sides and back (none allowed on windshield) but wondering if going with 50% is really even worth it. I'm thinking about going 35% and just taking my chances with a ticket. Anyone have 35% in MN and have problems? Anyone with 50% and think it changes the look much? Thanks

·
Registered
14,272 Posts
Minnesota law says 50% VLT, that does not mean that applying 50% tint is legal. Your film tint in combination with your already factory tinted windows must allow at least 50% of light in. Putting 50% film on your car would leave you with about 35% VLT, so illegal. Go with 35% film and you'd be about 25% VLT, way dark and totally illegal. To stay within the law, you'd have to go with a film no darker than about 70% VLT.

Not what you wanted to hear I know but that's just the law in your state. Don't need dark film to be effective, the 70% 3M Crystalline is good stuff.

Now if you're just wanting it dark for looks, well that's a decision you'll have to make whether you want to be legal or not.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,852 Posts
SunTek CXP 45% on sides

001.JPG

002.JPG

Worth 50% as well. But not arrest me dark ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had it put on Tuesday morning. Went with 30%. Looks great but darker than I thought it would be. The dark interior and small windows add to the dark effect. I have friends who have had 15 and 20% for years and only one stop 15 years ago. I hope I have the same luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Lots of tint options available. I tend to go dark and illegal but never have been hassled the man. Just roll you fronts down is you get pulled over. Never had one ask me to roll them back up. They just want to be able to see inside when they approach. Not rocket science. If you keep them up they tend not to like the black out and might ticket you.

Ceramic tint has been my choice of late. I like that it keeps the majority of the heat out of the car. I even thought of doing the windscreen is the light possible shade. Great look and illegal but again- roll the side down and they don't hassle you. In AZ in a dark Jeep with black roof the temp difference was amazing. You have no idea how much they can block but you pay for it. I just had my Challenger done. Looks great but not as crazy about the brand they used. Looking out the sides you get a brownish shade which I don't really like. The Jeep had better product and the color and look- looking from the inside was much better and cleaner. It was also more expensive- like double, Challenger was 1/2 the price for Ceramic vs the Jeep.

They also is a new IR tint available- Infer Red. It is supposed to lighten up at night and it is expensive also. Was quoted on it but have not tried it yet. Not many installers yet for this new product. Quote for the Challenger was $900 which what I paid to have the Jeep done. Ceramic on the Challenger was only 300 this time which was very good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts