Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I was looking at tinting my taillights when I take my car in to be painted. I was wondering. Are the taillights still bright during the day? I'm assuming night shouldn't be a problem. Also if you do the entire thing does the reverse light come through easy?? Or should I just leave that untinted?

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Gunpowder, I have the GTS covers on my 12 R/T. JMO, but I like them. I hear you on your opinion. I never knock anyone for what they want to do with their Challenger. We all have our own ideas and style. Yes the covers are a little bulky, but you can always take them off if you don't like the candle power of your tail lights during the day. Tinting is a very good idea. I have to give you credit on that one. Think it through because once you tint them there may be an issue if you want to remove the tint. Hey, good luck which ever way you go. I am sure you will be happy with your style upgrades. Also you could put in LEDS if you want more light.

·
Registered
601 Posts
saw a challenger this morning with the tail tinted. granted it was about 6:45 and the sun just came up but when he hit the brakes or put on his turn signal you couldnt tell at all that he had them tinted. Now with that being said. He didnt have them Black. Id say more than 60% dark. You could still see a tad hint of red. Also not sure if they were done with the spray on tint or the film. However, it did make my mind up though. Definitely doing it on mine. Im going to do the film tint just in case I dont like it for some odd reason or I end up getting stopped and need it removed. Much cheaper to peel it off than to sand it down and hope theyre not ruined.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I want my tail lights as bright as possible, that's why I went with sequentials, they "all" light up as brakes lights. Bright brake lights might stop from being re-ended, personally don't get the tinted light thing.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I want my tail lights as bright as possible, that's why I went with sequentials, they "all" light up as brakes lights. Bright brake lights might stop from being re-ended, personally don't get the tinted light thing.

In all honesty I beginning to think that you can actually see tinted brake lights better than non-tinted in the day time. I think its because you get a red on black color contrast compared to a red on red. That of course is if the lights are tinted properly and you can actually see the light. Ive seen ones where you could barely tell the lights were on and thats dangerous, but if done right it might be more noticable

·
Premium Member
1,396 Posts
get the tail light tints from bigwormgraphix. I had the covers and I thought they were bulky as well. the tints from big worm is just a film that goes on the lights. not as dark as the covers. they cover the front of the lights and the edges remain red. there are pics on their site.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys! I'll see what my paint guy says. If he can get something similar that doesn't dim the lights too much, then I'll do it. Got the original design idea from this.

Attachments

·
Registered
330 Posts
A friend of mine did mine with nightshades, I think he said 3 coats and 2 clear. Not that dark and lights up nice at night

Attachments

·
Supporting Vendors
1,386 Posts
I've had customers go very dark with their tint and have great results with our XP80s (seen on left vs. stock on right)

If you are concerned about being pulled over, these will definitely prevent tickets

Nick C.

·
Registered
260 Posts
If you tint the rear lights and feel they are not bright enough, you can always replace the bulbs with the bright LEDs like Diode Dynamics sells (check the sticky on their page).

·
Registered
875 Posts
i did my old 2011 dodge charger tail lights with Plasti Dip, and they were fine....look it up on youtube...

·
Registered
2014 Challenger RT
64 Posts
I like the tinted taillights too but here in GA it's illegal so I did something a little bit different. I used the Night Shades like RT'sRT friend did but I only did the center section. I like the look. I put four coats of color and two coats of clear. BTW, four is the max recommended by VHT. For reference here are some pics at night with and without the lights one.

·
Registered
12' Dodge Challenger
71 Posts
DipYourCar.com also sells Plastidip tint that works just fine. If you're a DIY kinda guy. Can always peel it off if you don't like.

Plastidip is your friend!

·
Registered
937 Posts

Me either. Tinting DOES make the lights darker, even if they still seem OK at night they're not as bright as they should be. Can't change the laws of physics.

I have no problem fiddling with decorative stuff for customization. I understand fiddling with functional equipment and improving its function. I don't understand fiddling with a functional part of the car and DEGRADING its function. Especially a signalling & safety feature.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts