Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to tint the plastic housing of the overhead and footwell lights? I'd like to tint them blue.

I bought LED replacements for all of the interior lights in my car, but Diode Dynamics doesn't off any for these as they are apparently factory LEDs and come welded on.

Anyone with more experience than me able to tell me what kind of film or something I could use?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Given the amount of work to change them out, I bought some adhesive film:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012Y4UUCM
Mine were in red and are no longer available from the seller I bought them from but you should easily be able to find the adhesive blue.
I also bought a circle punch so I'd get clean edges. I covered the overhead lights and footwell lights with the film which has stayed in place for a year now. Simple and very effective. I also replaced the rest of my interior incandescents with red LED's (including trunk and puddle lights).

·
Registered
SXT Plus
204 Posts
Given the amount of work to change them out, I bought some adhesive film:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012Y4UUCM
Mine were in red and are no longer available from the seller I bought them from but you should easily be able to find the adhesive blue.
I also bought a circle punch so I'd get clean edges. I covered the overhead lights and footwell lights with the film which has stayed in place for a year now. Simple and very effective. I also replaced the rest of my interior incandescents with red LED's (including trunk and puddle lights).
I would love to see yours and how it came out.

I need to do red as well.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ok so, I'm not a photographer and taking quality pics of red lights in the dark isn't easy, but here are a couple. Personally, I really love the look at night. It's brighter to the eyes than the picture of the interior. One pic is of the red film over the white LED slightly underexposed, the other, overexposed. Still, it's actually reasonably useful.

Attachments

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so, I'm not a photographer and taking quality pics of red lights in the dark isn't easy, but here are a couple. Personally, I really love the look at night. It's brighter to the eyes than the picture of the interior. One pic is of the red film over the white LED slightly underexposed, the other, overexposed. Still, it's actually reasonably useful.
I get my samples tomorrow, can't wait!

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got the film samples from: https://www.decorativefilm.com/

They will send you 5 samples for free, just pay shipping.

Pictures showing the end result, and I am overall very satisfied with it. Who knows how long it will last, but I have plenty of material to do it at least another 8+ times per sample (footwell lights are around .25"x.125" and overheads are around .75"). I used "King Blue".

Attachments

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I got the film samples from: https://www.decorativefilm.com/

They will send you 5 samples for free, just pay shipping.

Pictures showing the end result, and I am overall very satisfied with it. Who knows how long it will last, but I have plenty of material to do it at least another 8+ times per sample (footwell lights are around .25"x.125" and overheads are around .75"). I used "King Blue".

Older thread I know but I think I will order the free samples as well from the link you posted. Is this film self-adhesive?

·
Registered
155 Posts
i tinted mine green using green translucent film .i work in a shop that has tons of vinyl so i took a small piece but it can be bought in small sheets on eBay.simple 5 min application.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How is it holding?

I felt it and it was an odd shape, not really easy to duplicate.
Don't have the car with me at the moment (Body shop), but as far as I know it hasn't fallen off. It's not that weird of a shape, I just cut a small rectangle and slapped it over the housing.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Yeah I would love to replace those rear spotlights with LED's but I'm not ripping my headliner up and all that to get to it. Also going the tint route. Gotta love it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts