Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I've noticed a tiny bit of, what seems like, some dark grit, on the very bottom of my fuel gerry can.

Often I bring fuel to the car when it's stored off the road.

Is it advisable to ever put pressurized water in such a jerry can to attampt to dislodge such grit or is that a big no no.

I've never put water in a gerry can and something tells me not to even though it would dry out. I don't even know if that would remove the grit.

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,352 Posts
Dislodging grit:
Just give the can a good cleaning. Assuming it's a 5 gallon. Empty out the gas. Grab a couple gallons of vinegar at the store. It's cheap.
Rinse your tank with a garden hose (or even better: pressure washer). Dump in the vinegar. It will absorb the water, no problem. Throw a bunch of nuts and bolts in there. Close lid. Leave it in for a couple days, or even a week. Shake it around every time ya walk by. After your done, drain and rinse again with water. Check it out with a flashlight. Should be clean as a whistle. Blow it out with a blower, vacuum, air hose, whatever. Leave it in the hot sun for a half hour. Then fill it w/gas. I've done this with vinegar a number of times: I've left it in for as much as 8 days. More time = less rust in tank. Stuff works like magic and won't harm the tank. Oh yeah, when ya pull out the nuts and bolts, hit 'em with WD 40 or oil them in some way. They'll rust quickly in the open air.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts