Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, I ran my fingers across my hood the other day to see how rough the paint was and noticed tiny rust spots all over the paint in that area. I checked the rest of the body and found these tiny rust spots everywhere! Has anyone else experienced this? Is it fixable with a good clay bar treatment or buffing possibly? Thanks in advance guys.

Note: This picture was taken from the C-pillar where the rust is the most severe.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I always have trouble uploading pics. Hopefully that fixed it.

·
Registered
16,280 Posts
Can't see it too well on my phone but is that rail dust? That was the only paint blemishes on my car that I could see...tiny little orange spots on the paint on my front bumper.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
New Hellcat's don't have spots:elephant:

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Hmm, never heard of "rail dust" but maybe thats it. I bought my Challenger used last October and the previous owner did not take care of it as well as I try to. So I was wondering if maybe it was due to his neglect. So clay bar should do the trick then?

·
Registered
19 Posts
This look's like rust from metal dust. I would try a clay bar, it should take care of it!

·
Premium Member
2019 Hellcat Redeye in white knuckle with silver stripes
1,119 Posts
I've had this on both my Challengers. What doesn't come off with a clay bar can be removed with Meguires fine cut cleaner.
It really shows up on the lighter colors.

Reactions: Bigdodge and ESOLO

·
Registered
86 Posts
Rail dust

Clay bar should take care of most of it but you will need to apply more pressure than you normally would. Remember to keep kneeding the clay because it will damage the paint if you dont turn it or you dont keep the surface wet. It will just get worse and harder to remove with time if you leave it.

My white r/t trunk lid and hood had plenty of spots. How long have you had it?

It may be worth taking it to a detailer and see what they would charge. After that just stay on top of it because some will come back.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Clay bar should take care of most of it but you will need to apply more pressure than you normally would. Remember to keep kneeding the clay because it will damage the paint if you dont turn it or you dont keep the surface wet. It will just get worse and harder to remove with time if you leave it.

My white r/t trunk lid and hood had plenty of spots. How long have you had it?

It may be worth taking it to a detailer and see what they would charge. After that just stay on top of it because some will come back.
Forgot to add rail dust is basically just an airborne contaminant that settles on your car and imbeds itself in your clear. When the contaminants contain a metal like iron that rusts it will then start rusting in the clearcoat. No way to avoid it but there is a product called ironx that claims to help but ive never tried it.

·
Premium Member
2019 Hellcat Redeye in white knuckle with silver stripes
1,119 Posts
HGClowns, I tried IronX...it didn't work.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
That is rail dust. I had it on my first RT, and claying did not help. Dealer said the only fix was to repaint. They eventually agreed to buy the car back in exchange for me buying my current RTC.

·
Registered
688 Posts
That is like everyone said rail dust, I would clay the entire car, then wash and you may want to invest in a Polisher.

if you dont remove it "IT WILL" penetrate the clear all the way down to the metal.

This should give you a better understanding of what your facing.

IT doesnt look bad from what I can see as my wifes SUV had the same I clayed them out, polished, sealed, then

waxed her ride.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
HGClowns, I've had the car since October 2013 but just recently noticed the rail dust. Thanks everyone for the advice. I really appreciate it. Definitely time for some clay bar then haha. Hopefully that fixes it.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I've had this on both my Challengers. What doesn't come off with a clay bar can be removed with Meguires fine cut cleaner.
It really shows up on the lighter colors.
Exactly what I do. That cleaner is great. I have this issue as well although I don't think it's rail dust. I had my back bumper replaced at a body shop. They orderd a New one from mopar and painted it themselves and I still get those stains on it. Only thing I can think it would be is from the brakes.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Yep, I agree, looks like rail dust. Most likely more on the horizontal surfaces. Use the clay, you will feel it grab the metal, will be less resistance when removed, you may hear the difference too. Pick up the clay and look at what your picking up. This happens often. I always clay anything new. I tell the dealer don't even bother waxing it. The upside is, if you haven't clayed the car before, you will love the results!

You may want to look at the glass too, mIly just windshield. Pass the clay over it, you will know.

PS whatever you do, don't use a rotary buffer with a cloth pad. It will just move it around.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey guys, just an update. Finally got a chance to clay, compound, polish and wax my car. The difference is amazing. I'd say a majority of the rail dust is gone. The car's surface felt like sandpaper before but now its incredibly smooth. Thanks again for your help everyone!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Both my 13 R/T &14 shaker both had it and both are white. The dealer claybarred each one and made the sandpaper like texture smooth again. I thought dodge COVERED the cars while being transported, if not, they should. Dealers must know about this problem if we do.I believe dodge could do a lot better job on delivering these cars AND, THE DEALERS NEED TO DO A BETTER JOB ON THE PRE DELIVERY INSPECTIONS, ( P D I ) the panel alignments could also use a better inspection because too many cars are being delivered to customers with these same problems again & again. BOTH of my challengers had these issues.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts