Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi team,
My head is spinning after reading through a bunch of the detailing posts here - great stuff and thanks to all the posters. I am a complete novice re detailing - never had a car worth taking the effort before. I really want to make this beauty sparkle/shine - love the lustre in the factory coat.

There are some really good and elaborate tips - and some specific to black cars - (and don't hate me if this is a stupid question) but are there any specific recommendations in products and process for my '14 phantom black tri coat pearl?

By the way - I was showing it to a mate on arrival - (it was a bit dusty from being shipped over to New Zealand) and I wiped some dust from a panel as I talked to him and he just-about had a hemorrhage saying I was damaging the paint every time I did that...... I hate to think what I've done to my previous cars then :)

Sorry for the novel - thanks for any advice in advance.

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
and I wiped some dust from a panel as I talked to him and he just-about had a hemorrhage saying I was damaging the paint every time I did that...... I hate to think what I've done to my previous cars then :)
I'd suggest that since your friend is so concerned the only way to keep the shine and maintain his standards (for your car) is to never drive the car. Driving it will "damage" the paint, leaving it outside in the sun will "damage" the paint, even washing it will damage the paint.

Other than that, take no advice from me, apparently I am a very bad owner of a Phantom Black car - I use one of those RV brush things to wash it. The Horror!!! ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
tri coat paint

I use Meguires wax to polish my car, I would avoid car washes that are automated with bristles. The bristles trap in dirt from filthy F-150's that went mudding in the country side. The bristles then beat on your car with its dirt and non microfiber surface scratching the clear coat. If I don't have time to hand wash my car I take it to an automatic wash that sprays the water under pressure.

Some tips from a super anal car person:

Don't let your passenger tap on your rooftop with their fingernails.
Be careful of how you put things in the trunk as its easy to scratch the backside when you just toss items in and they drag on the paint surface.
Try to stay out of the sun as much as possible.
Do you your best to park away from other cars even if you have to walk a little or park next to a Camaro lol.
If you are like me, I drive window's down and arm hanging, however if you wear a watch be careful of that because it can scratch your clear coat when you shift your arm.

I guess what I'm saying is, your clear coat is soft and should be handled like a baby. Good coats of wax help preserve your cars look and to me makes it smell like candy ^_^.

Sincerely another phantom black owner.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Since this is your first black car and you have no idea what you're doing, my suggestion would be to take it to a detailer and let him take care of getting it perfect and then follow his instructions for maintaining it. Have him suggest specific products and instructions for their use.

Black cars do not get any dirtier or scratched up than any other color, they just show it more.

Be sure to check out the Junkman videos on YouTube. Washing properly is the key to maintaining your car.

Bottom line is that any premium line of products will yield spectacular results if applied properly, and therein lies the challenge - applying them properly. Seek professional help.

Reactions: abro

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
if u want to learn for ur self look up the junkman2000 on youtube. he has a lot of useful tips and info and is a pretty good character to boot. he also has good tips on where to buy great products for a lot less then u could normally find.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I use AMMO NYC on my car an it works wonders. To me it's worth the price. Every 4 months I take it to a detail shop to get professional detailed. After that I just try an maintain the shine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts