Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always done my own oil changes but have always owned trucks with lots of clearance underneath. I recently bought a 392 Shaker - its a garage queen but I still want to maintain a 6 monthly schedule. I don't trust my local (and only) Dodge dealer (long story and not worth going into) and want to do these changes myself.

I am too fat and old to try and squirm under the car while it is sitting in its normal stance. How do people without hoists or pits change their own oil? I realize I can jack the car and use axle stands but that creates an angle if you're on a leve lsurface and the oil won't drain properly. Do I need to jack all four wheels??

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,812 Posts
Wrap a ziplock bag around the oil filter so it catches the oil as you unscrew the filter. Trick I learned from other boat owners. Also, don't pour the oil down the filler too quickly as it may weep into the fresh air line of the PCV system and get oil all over the air filter.

As for lifting the car. I use a 3 ton jack and use 12" wheel cribs but if I am lazy I just use front ramps to drain and check oil level after I put in 6 quarts and roll it off the ramps.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,812 Posts
Yes but there is a little left in the pan...with my low profile ramps it's less than 1/2 quart.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I am too fat and old to try and squirm under the car
Thank you for that! ?
I see and hear a lot of people here using jacks or ramps to work under their cars. I am too lazy and just like you I feel too old to crawl under my car. I have a DIY workshop with car lifts nearby and I‘d rather pay 20 or 25 bucks for one hour than messing around on the ground. And they dispose the old oil an the old filter for me. What do you do with the old oil and filter after an oil change in the garage...? ?

I always have an old rag at hand just in case... And I stuffed an old rag into the spaces around the cartridge oil filter (on top) before I removed it. I use a funnel and a measuring cup to fill in the first two quarts because I would definitely spill some oil. I know the tricks... pour the oil slowly, canister opening on the top... and still I‘ll spill it. ?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I just drive it up on ramps and then connect my Valvomax oil drain gizmo. Don't even have to remove the oil drain plug... Super simple, super clean (no mess!). On mine, even the oil filter is "mess free" since it's the "cartridge" type of filter.

Easiest and cleanest oil changes ever.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Thanks! Didn‘t know that there is such a thing. Makes the oil change so much easier!
You are very welcome! Those things are awesome. No more removing the oil drain bolt and getting oil all over your hands and/or garage floor. :) Plus, no more chance of stripping the bolt or having it leak afterwards due to not being tight enough. Just makes so much sense, IMO... Great company to deal with too.

EDIT: Oh - on more nice thing about them! If you accidently overfill the oil a little - no problem! You can quickly, easily and without mess just drain a little back out. Ask me how I know!

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,441 Posts
Ramps, they way to go. And with the front up, it actually drains better, the plug is in the rear. You probably have 4 x 10mm for the lower cover, 1 x 13mm drain plug, and hopefully strong hands to get off the filter. That is all I needed, just barely though. I am 56 and too fat myself, put down some layers of cardboard and it really softens up the blow to the knees. Plus you can slide around easier. Plus, Plus, it will help absorb the oil you splash when you try to lower the filter into the pan and it slips.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,812 Posts
Ramps, they way to go. And with the front up, it actually drains better, the plug is in the rear.
It's at the rear of the "sump" for lack of a better word. I just noticed the rest of the pan slopes down toward the sump so if you do put the car on ramps it may just sit level. But yeah, looking at it now, ramps are not a bad idea at all. I guess I am going to stop using the wheel cribs as it is much faster to use the low profile ramps I have.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
I recommend picking up a "C" Cap Oil Filter Wrench (93mm Diameter, 15 Flutes) to loosen the filter. Also, your 392 will not require all 7 quarts...more like 6 1/3 qts from my experience.

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
837 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
620 Posts
SRT 8 is lower then other's, ramps work just fine. car is so low it scraps the chinny chin chin. all is good in chin world

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
The oil filter sits vertically so is easy to take off with out spilling and makes it easy to pre fill the filter before fitting, I have never used a dealer to change my oil but my money is on them (or any other oil changer) not pre filling a filter before fitting, not to mention waiting that little bit longer to get all of the oil out... admit it guys we all do it!

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I have always done my own oil changes but have always owned trucks with lots of clearance underneath. I recently bought a 392 Shaker - its a garage queen but I still want to maintain a 6 monthly schedule. I don't trust my local (and only) Dodge dealer (long story and not worth going into) and want to do these changes myself.

I am too fat and old to try and squirm under the car while it is sitting in its normal stance. How do people without hoists or pits change their own oil? I realize I can jack the car and use axle stands but that creates an angle if you're on a leve lsurface and the oil won't drain properly. Do I need to jack all four wheels??
I absolutely hate to jack up a car unless I have to. (Flat tire.)

Have not yet done an oil change with my Hellcat but with other front engine (and mid engine and rear engine) cars I used Rhino Ramps, the low profile ones. (I have a set of these for my Hellcat.)

Before Rhino Ramps I bought a "set" of RV wheel leveler blocks. Link:

which were good enough to get the car up high enough. I only used a set of 2 for under the front or rear wheels. But you can get 4 sets and drive the car up and have all 4 tires the same height above the pavement and yet the car level.

FWIW, for my cars being out of level with the end of the car with the engine higher than the other end never affected the amount of oil drained.

When I get a place of my own I intend to buy a portable hydraulic lift to use to lift my cars up at least a foot or two safely so I can work under the car to drain the oil and do other work. I intend to find a lift that can lift the car by either the body lift points and the tires/wheels. For brake work or removing wheels being able to lift/support the car via its body lift points is mandatory.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Does nobody else do tire rotation at the same time as oil change? For that you basically have to do 4 jacks right?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Drain bolt is in the rear of the pan (on the 8’s anyway) so with the front lifted gravity works in your favor

1 - 20 of 50 Posts