Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,429 Posts
When you have a chance, can you post a picture of the opener you mentioned? Thanks. Apologies if this is taking the thread off point.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,803 Posts
Looks simple o_O

I'd google High Lift Garage Door Conversion followed by your zip code if you aren't up to this specialized task ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,441 Posts
Nice and simple unless your garage ceiling isn't that high, and there is a room above it. I am looking into side opening garage doors. (that aren't a zillion dollars)

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,429 Posts
Thanks for those links. That solution may be more work than is needed in my particular situation. My lift only has 8” more travel upwards available. My garage ceiling is just over 9’ at the front of where the Firebird is and 11’ over the passenger area. I think I would be able to move the support bracket of the garage door frame forward 6” to 8” and simply cut the frame shorter to allow the front end to clear. To lift full height in my scenario here the car on the lift needs to be backed in.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Until you exceed certain angle lifting front only, gravity works for you. I have scissors lifting table, hydraulic driven, recommend this much! The thing i suppose is important in oil change is filling filter with oil before mounting. I had piston rods bearings damaged, so I do that and I am going to do it every time. Prevents or helps against dry friction.

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
136 Posts
Even if you do not fill the oil filter, there is still a lubrication layer left on the parts. The important aspect is not to rev the engine when you first start it after an oil change. Start the engine and let it idle until the oil light goes out or you show oil pressure. I do however highly recommend filling the filter with new oil. Depending if the filter is vertical or angled, I try to fill the filter at least 1/2 full.

·
Super Moderator
15,099 Posts
When you have a chance, can you post a picture of the opener you mentioned? Thanks. Apologies if this is taking the thread off point.
here you go I have a Liftmaster it uses the shaft the counter balance spring is mounted so no arm lifting the garage door. theres cables and pulleys on the shaft that do the work

its s Liftmaster jack shaft opener no longer uses an arm on the door instead with cables and pulleys using the shaft the counter balance spring is mounted on

·
Super Moderator
15,099 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a set-up like that in home use.
thats due to the cheaper trolley style opener is more common in residential

for commercial applications, the jack shaft style is more common and the lift is attached to the wall by the door opening

41 - 50 of 50 Posts