Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping to take the Challenger out of storage this weekend, at least for a little drive but more snow :(

Anyway, I'm hoping to be able to take the car out of storage in the next week or two. Other than disconnecting the battery charger, removing the Bounce sheets, etc., is there anything I need to do? Is it okay to just go ahead and start it and let it run? How long should I let it run for? Should I be prepared for anything odd after not being started for 5 months?

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
The manual says:
VEHICLE STORAGE​
If you are leaving your vehicle dormant for more than
21 days, you may want to take these steps to protect your
battery.​
•​
Disconnect the negative cable from the battery.

•​
Anytime you store your vehicle, or keep it out of
service (i.e., vacation) for two weeks or more, run the
air conditioning system at idle for about five minutes
in the fresh air and high blower setting. This will
ensure adequate system lubrication to minimize the
possibility of compressor damage when the system is

started again.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Let it warm up after a long sleep and let it go!

I just finally took mine out this week after 2 months in storage, washed it etc and took it for a few spirited runs, I finally broke the 300 mile mark.

Just need to get a few Zaino coats on and im good to go, now im looking at Solo's exhaust etc.

Good luck and happy driving!

·
Premium Member
7,304 Posts
I always recommend after long term storage of cars or motorcycle to drive at least 20-30 minutes to fully warm up the engine and drive line. Drive easy at first until the oil is at operating temperature.
Internal combustion engines produce a lot of water vapor and if not allowed to completely warm to boil off the water, the water can cause havoc inside the engine.
Running the car inside (an opened) garage just doesn't allow all parts to warm properly.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Before heading to the open road,with a good quality tire gauge
check your tire pressure and make sure its at spec
Its a good habit to get into when your tires are cold
after the car has come to operating temps check all your fluids
in the parking lot work the brakes youll find after siiting a long time the brakes are really touchy
thats my check list and then its time to get back to being a rock star in your Challenger :bigthumb:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts