Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
Im getting a new Challenger SXT 2021 next week. This is my first experience with such cars. I heard it is high maintenance, and in many cases such cars don't last long..
I would like to hear your recommendations or tips to make the car last long (regular checkups, tires, maintenance.. Etc.)
Maybe it is worth mentioning that I live in Saudi Arabia (hot dry weather most of the year)
Many thanks!

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,706 Posts
Hello everyone!
Im getting a new Challenger SXT 2021 next week. This is my first experience with such cars. I heard it is high maintenance, and in many cases such cars don't last long..
I would like to hear your recommendations or tips to make the car last long (regular checkups, tires, maintenance.. Etc.)
Maybe it is worth mentioning that I live in Saudi Arabia (hot dry weather most of the year)
Many thanks!
My guess, it would hold up and be less maintenance than most cars actually. The SXT's drivetrain is in many other vehicles. They are all over the southwest of USA in what I assume is similar environment (Phoenix/Las Vegas...)
and they are just another car there, nothing of any concern. I know that there are some differences in the "export" vehicles, and possibly that is more likely to be an issue, just because they are far less common, (just a guess).
Either way, make sure you post up some pictures!

Reactions: Nasim

·
Premium Member
4,023 Posts
Welcome from Alabama and congrats on your new car. The SXT is a proven, reliable platform and don't know where you heard that they possess reliability issues.
Routine maintenance, according to manufacturers guidelines is the "life blood" of any vehicle. IMO, many reliability problems with cars can be traced back to neglect.

Reactions: Nasim

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,310 Posts
SXT"s are very reliable design with recommended maintenance as any car normal fluid checks and Oil Changes, Coolant Change as recommend.
Keep the Air Pressure as it should be in the Tires and with recommended Manual Maintaince the Vehicle will last.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My guess, it would hold up and be less maintenance than most cars actually. The SXT's drivetrain is in many other vehicles. They are all over the southwest of USA in what I assume is similar environment (Phoenix/Las Vegas...)
and they are just another car there, nothing of any concern. I know that there are some differences in the "export" vehicles, and possibly that is more likely to be an issue, just because they are far less common, (just a guess).
Either way, make sure you post up some pictures!
Thanks a lot my friend! will do once I get it

Welcome from Alabama and congrats on your new car. The SXT is a proven, reliable platform and don't know where you heard that they possess reliability issues.
Routine maintenance, according to manufacturers guidelines is the "life blood" of any vehicle. IMO, many reliability problems with cars can be traced back to neglect.
Thanks a lot!
I have a few friends owning Dodge Chargers with a lot if issues.. I think they assume it is also the case with Challenger

SXT"s are very reliable design with recommended maintenance as any car normal fluid checks and Oil Changes, Coolant Change as recommend.
Keep the Air Pressure as it should be in the Tires and with recommended Manual Maintaince the Vehicle will last.
Sounds good .. many thanks!

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,433 Posts
I heard it is high maintenance, and in many cases such cars don't last long..
It will require regular preventative maintenance if you want it to last a long time, but if you don’t plan on keeping it past 100K miles then you can get away with barely any maintenance at all in all honesty.

If you perform (or have performed) the maintenance tasks in the owner’s manual on schedule, there is no reason that car shouldn’t still be running strong well past 200K miles.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,706 Posts
Thanks a lot!
I have a few friends owning Dodge Chargers with a lot if issues.. I think they assume it is also the case with Challenger
Just curious, what issues. They are basically the exact same car, other then shorter wheelbase in the back seat area, and the obvious body differences.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,711 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just curious, what issues. They are basically the exact same car, other then shorter wheelbase in the back seat area, and the obvious body differences.
Mainly, AC problems. Also, something about driving experience: they claim that the car feels consumed after 100K kilometers (sounds extreme to be honest)
Thanks for your comment! Apparently, the car seems very reliable according to the comments I received on the post 🤙🏼

Welcome to Challengertalk ;) Just follow the recommended maintenance and you should be fine. Some 3.6L Pentastar engines have gotten 600,000 miles with no issues

A Guy
Thanks a lot my friend!

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,203 Posts
Hello everyone!
Many thanks!
What I recommend is to change the engine oil early (unless forbidden by the owners manual). Depending I change or have this changed at anywhere from 500 miles to 1500 miles. For example at 500 miles with my new Hellcat. At 1500 miles with my new Scat Pack. Difference? Well, the oil in the Hellcat dipstick was pretty dark at 500 miles. The SP oil didn't get dark until the oil had around 1500 miles on it.

If you prefer to run the oil longer at least change it at the end of "break in".

With the Hellcat I changed the oil at 500 miles, 2K miles, then again at 5K miles. There after every 5K miles or 6 months.

Use the factory oil.

Given where you live I'd be pretty aggressive with the engine air filter and cabin air filter services. Even here in the US I let my Hellcat's engine air filter go 27.4K miles -- IIRC it is scheduled to be changed at 20K miles -- and after the new air filter element installed the engine had better throttle response. An engine air filter can become "clogged" and if so it will affect how the engine runs.

While not called for by the factory consider a brake fluid flush/bleed every 2 years.

My SOP is to change the coolant every 4 years. This keeps the coolant additive package reasonably fresh which helps prolong water pump seal life, hose life, and the life of other cooling system components. There is no concern about the block rusting away but the radiator and heater core have very thin walls and if the coolant's anti-corrosion additive gets depleted the radiator or heater core could develop a pinhole leak. These can be hard to find and confirm.

While on the subject of the cooling system it is imperative you keep this in tip top condition. No leaks either fluid or pressure leaks. It is the system maintaining pressure that prevents the hot coolant from boiling. If pressure is not maintained the hot coolant can at the hottest areas of the engine can flash to steam. The resulting steam "bubble" blocks coolant flow in this area and localized overheating will happen and this can lead to a failed head gasket or even a cracked head.

You probably want to arrange to park the car in a garage -- or at least out of the sun -- when not in use and whenever possible. For the times you are forced to park the car in the sun I think a good sun shade to protect the dash from the sun's rays probably a worthwhile "investment".

For other fluids like transmission and diff change these at least on the factory's schedule but an early change is not a bad idea.

'course, run the correct octane of gasoline and avoid using any leaded gasoline.

Last but not least use the car. Regularly.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Ignore oil specs and put 0-30 Amsoil Signature Synthetic in. In your brutal environment, 20 weight is just too thin. My opinion. Only way to maintain these cars i to use the best fluids available. Period. Congrats on the purchase!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,711 Posts
He'll have a warranty that says use 5W-20, and if he needs engine service, Stellantis won't care if someone thought 0-30 was better

A Guy

Reactions: Dennis H

·
Registered
562 Posts
Congrats.

In the hot and dusty middle east, I consider that a "severe" driving environment and stick to the "severe" service intervals e.g. I would aggressively change engine oil and filter more frequently, transmission fluid, differential fluids, air filter, etc. I would also park in the shade or garage as much as possible, or cover the car, keep windows up as much as possible, etc.

I've lived in the middle east. Dust was a constant enemy and seemed to get on everything, everywhere. It has the consistency of fine talcum powder and just coats everything on a daily basis to the point it's almost futile to fight it; but if your goal is to keep the car nice long term, it's a must to do what you can.

For readers to get an idea, I lived in this deployed environment for a long time and this was a daily ritual of cleaning off my computer and equipment; and what it would look like the next day. Temperatures we saw. And regular dust and sand storms turned the air orange.

·
Premium Member
4,023 Posts
He'll have a warranty that says use 5W-20, and if he needs engine service, Stellantis won't care if someone thought 0-30 was better

A Guy
If you do your own oil changes, how would they know. Are you required to provide documentation of oil used?
Certainly they do not require dealer only oil changes.
Just wondering because even though I plan on using factory recommended oil, I plan to change it myself.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,711 Posts
If they suspect an oil issue, they do an analysis I believe. But yes, I believe you need to document what oil is used. They specify a viscosity, and would allege that using otherwise can cause an issue

I always change my own oil. I keep my receipts, write date and mileage on them. I update at Mopar site, I take pictures of oil and filter when I am changing it, as well as the odometer. I also post here in the what did you do...thread :D

A Guy

Reactions: SKT PK 9 Man

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Scat Pack Pitch Black A8
887 Posts
My son is a Mercedes technician. Any time someone comes in with drivetrain issues that may be warranty related they do an oil analysis and review maintenance records. It's that kind of world we live in.

Welcome from Kentucky! I am sure you will enjoy your new car 👍

·
Registered
353 Posts
Making your car last the longest it can is pretty simply really. Follow the maintenance schedule in the manual, rotate your tires every 5k. Do not skip or go over on oil changes etc.

Keeping it clean and waxed or paint protected is always a very good way to keep your paint nice. Learn proper washing and protecting technics. Most people do not know how to properly wash and wax their cars.

Driving these kind of cars push Spirited driving. It's really hard to resist putting your foot into it. If you can for the most part baby her, she will last a very long time. If you put your foot into her all the time ( boy that didn't sound right LOL ) she will wear down faster.

Nothing lasts forever but it's always nice to see people wanting to take good care of their cars. I grew up learning that you should take good care of everything you own. It's nice

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,203 Posts
My son is a Mercedes technician. Any time someone comes in with drivetrain issues that may be warranty related they do an oil analysis and review maintenance records. It's that kind of world we live in.

Welcome from Kentucky! I am sure you will enjoy your new car 👍
This was SOP with Porsche. Porsche had a standing requirement that in the case of a possible warranty claim for at least the engine the tech obtain a sample of engine oil and submit it for analysis. The factory or Porsche of North America had an arrangement with an oil analysis lab.

·
Premium Member
4,023 Posts
Making your car last the longest it can is pretty simply really. Follow the maintenance schedule in the manual, rotate your tires every 5k. Do not skip or go over on oil changes etc.

Keeping it clean and waxed or paint protected is always a very good way to keep your paint nice. Learn proper washing and protecting technics. Most people do not know how to properly wash and wax their cars.

Driving these kind of cars push Spirited driving. It's really hard to resist putting your foot into it. If you can for the most part baby her, she will last a very long time. If you put your foot into her all the time ( boy that didn't sound right LOL ) she will wear down faster.

Nothing lasts forever but it's always nice to see people wanting to take good care of their cars. I grew up learning that you should take good care of everything you own. It's nice
Ooops! :oops:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts