Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all! :)

I've been lurking on the forums for a few years now but decided it was time to make an account.

I've inherited my dad's 2010 Challenger SE and I'm extremely excited. However, he hasn't taken the best care of it (for example, finally forced an oil change down his throat today after nearly THIRTY thousand miles.) :fight:

Anyways, the tires are nearly bald and I need to start shopping for some.

The car has the stock 215/65/17 tires on them, however I was planning on going up to 245/40/20 so I could put some R/T or SRT wheels on it. This shouldn't be too much of a hassle, as the local dealer said for $30 they'd recalibrate the speedometer.

I'm thinking since I'll have two sets of wheels, I'll have separate tires for winter. But that might not work out, because unless I get a cheap 2nd pair of 20s I'll be having to constantly recalibrate the speedo. Not sure if I'm doing one pair or two.

I live in Ohio. Weather here can get wacky. So I'm looking for two recommendations.

1.) For the route of two separate tires - a really good summer tire and a really good winter tire

2.) For the route of a single tire - a really good all season tire.

I've been looking at Michelin Pilot Super Sport, Bridgestone Potenza S04 Pole Position and Continental ExtremeContact DW tires on TireRack.

I want something that's got really good handling/performance on the road, and good traction in the wet stuff would also be fairly important. The Challenger already is pretty well insulated against noise, so road noise isn't too much of a concern, but I don't want a whole lot. A decent lifespan would be nice too, especially if we go the single tire route.

I'm not gonna be smokin' the tires too much -- I'll come back for a recommendation on those tires once I get the supercharger and the dozen or so other mods I have planned done. :thumbsup:

BTW, off topic question: Expected life expectancy out of the stock V6? My dad works at Chrysler's Toledo plant (Home of the Wrangler/Cherokee) and has a nearly 70 mile daily commute. As a result, it already has 91k miles. :/

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Go 245/45R20 (that's stock OE for the 20") ... but that's neither here nor there.

I can only offer you good summer tire suggestions since I'm in California. Three tires I like. Pirelli PZero, Cooper RS3-S, and Continental ExtremeContact DW. I like the Pirelli's the best and the other two follow a VERY close second. I have the Continentals on my wife's Cooper and I can't brake that thing free for the life of me (ok, I did it once ... don't tell her). The drawback about the Pirelli is tread life. That are a SUPER sticky tire and I went through them in <20k miles (saw lots of road coarse miles).

That being said the Cooper RS3-A and the Continental ExtremeContact DWS are both highly rated in my book.

Life expectancy of a car is all in how well you maintain it. There are a few of us that have either at or over 100k miles. I'm at just shy of 68k and have had her for 4 years (since mile #5). My daily commute as of exactly one year ago is 150 miles a week (plus extras for weekend trips). All these miles and the only "problems" I've had were normal wear/tear (tires, spark plugs, oil changes) or self induced (wheel hub, lower control arms).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Go 245/45R20 (that's stock OE for the 20") ... but that's neither here nor there.

I can only offer you good summer tire suggestions since I'm in California. Three tires I like. Pirelli PZero, Cooper RS3-S, and Continental ExtremeContact DW. I like the Pirelli's the best and the other two follow a VERY close second. I have the Continentals on my wife's Cooper and I can't brake that thing free for the life of me (ok, I did it once ... don't tell her). The drawback about the Pirelli is tread life. That are a SUPER sticky tire and I went through them in <20k miles (saw lots of road coarse miles).

That being said the Cooper RS3-A and the Continental ExtremeContact DWS are both highly rated in my book.

Life expectancy of a car is all in how well you maintain it. There are a few of us that have either at or over 100k miles. I'm at just shy of 68k and have had her for 4 years (since mile #5). My daily commute as of exactly one year ago is 150 miles a week (plus extras for weekend trips). All these miles and the only "problems" I've had were normal wear/tear (tires, spark plugs, oil changes) or self induced (wheel hub, lower control arms).

20k on those Pirellis is fairly low, but since I'd only occasionally take it to a road course or do a little crazy driving on the back roads, I'm hoping I'd get more than that - at least 25-30k.

Which one would be your #1 recommendation - the Pirellis?

BTW, your secret about your wife's Mini is safe with me. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
20k on those Pirellis is fairly low, but since I'd only occasionally take it to a road course or do a little crazy driving on the back roads, I'm hoping I'd get more than that - at least 25-30k.

Which one would be your #1 recommendation - the Pirellis?

BTW, your secret about your wife's Mini is safe with me. :thumbsup:
If you don't do a lot of track time (and keep the burnouts to a minimum), I don't see why you wouldn't get over 30k. #1 for the Challenger is definitely the Pirelli's. They grip like a monster when you need them, but let loose when you want them to. They telegraph very nicely and are a very quiet tire too (bonus!). They have seriously dropped in price since TireRack has them listed at $800 for 4. I think I was over $1.1k when I bought them three years ago. I might just have to go back.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you don't do a lot of track time (and keep the burnouts to a minimum), I don't see why you wouldn't get over 30k. #1 for the Challenger is definitely the Pirelli's. They grip like a monster when you need them, but let loose when you want them to. They telegraph very nicely and are a very quiet tire too (bonus!). They have seriously dropped in price since TireRack has them listed at $800 for 4. I think I was over $1.1k when I bought them three years ago. I might just have to go back.
They really are a good price. The OE Goodyear Integrity (garbage) tires for the SE are $120 a tire. These are $199. That's $70 more, and I'd easily pay $270 more if I'm gonna get a really good tire. The GY's are 50k rated in comparison to the Pirelli's, but anything over 30k would be ok with me.

You sold me on the Pirelli's. If I can't get Pops to throw them on there once the current GY's are bald, I'll certainly splurge on em. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Thirty thousand miles?? Wow. I bet that oil looked real pretty draining out. Or what was left of it anyway!

If you're considering a separate set of tires for winter, I recommend the Michelin X-ice xi2 or xi3. I have the xi2s and they are excellent! Getting around this winter has been effortless. They even ride nice too as an added bonus. Just try not to drive them too much or too fast when it's warm out (like +7 Celcius/44 Fahrenheit). They get hot and squishy and unhappy.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thirty thousand miles?? Wow. I bet that oil looked real pretty draining out. Or what was left of it anyway!

If you're considering a separate set of tires for winter, I recommend the Michelin X-ice xi2 or xi3. I have the xi2s and they are excellent! Getting around this winter has been effortless. They even ride nice too as an added bonus. Just try not to drive them too much or too fast when it's warm out (like +7 Celcius/44 Fahrenheit). They get hot and squishy and unhappy.

I'm honestly scared to see what the oil looked like. I wasn't there when he did it, I was in school. But back in February my mom and I were in Pittsburgh with our 01 Grand Cherokee Limited (4.7 V8) and it too had gone 30k+ between changes. It started to run real rough before we left for Ohio, so I immediately dragged it to a Pep Boys and had them change the oil. Found a few startling things.

1.) The oil (which was conventional instead of the normally ran synthetic blend, see below) was nothing but thick black sludge. All the guys in the garage huddled around in disgust and fear, LOL. :zlurking:

2.) The Pennzoil high mileage oil that the 10-minute Pennzoil place said was "synthetic blend" was actually full conventional.

3.) The oil filter the Pennzoil place also installed was for the V6 Grand Cherokee, NOT the V8.

4.) I learned to never trust those quick oil change places.

5.) Pep Boys guy recommended I run some Sea Foam. Quickly agreed with him. It pulled even more sludge. Disgusting.

I don't get why my dad goes 20-50k between oil changes. He says he doesn't have the time, but I think he's just being lazy! He's destroying our cars.

Anyways, back to the tires: I had actually looked at the X-Ice 3 tires a few months ago, thank you for the recommendation! I will keep them on my list for winter tires. :bigthumb:

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
I've inherited my dad's 2010 Challenger SE and I'm extremely excited. However, he hasn't taken the best care of it (for example, finally forced an oil change down his throat today after nearly THIRTY thousand miles.) :fight:
No engine will last very long with that approach - it will sludge up, clog internal passages and ports (valve train usually is the first that goes), then scored cylinder bores and wiped bearings.

Often the sludge will block up the oil filter and a lot of the oil bypasses the filter, which compounds the issue.

Even using conventional oil and going through the quick-lube oil change places...takes what - 30 minutes?

I can't imagine anyone's time is that pressed vs. having an engine failure. That'll take up some time waiting for a tow in the middle of winter in the snow and ice.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
I use Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60s for winter (235/50 18").
I use Cooper Zeon RS3-Ss for summer (245/45 20").

Very very happy with both tires. The Blizzaks make driving in the winter fun and easy. Wouldn't go with anything else for winter.

The Coopers are highly underated by most people and have excellent high speed mobility as well as that ultimate summer tire grip especially in the heat. I would buy these tires again and again. They are excellent tires and the price is very reasonable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts