Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Excuse me if I sound like an idiot on this but I really don't know what I'm doing when it comes to rims/tires set ups. I have a 12 RT w/super trac. So I have the Goodyear f1's. Honestly I haven't had any issues at all they seem to be wearing slowly at 18k miles they look like only half used. The only issue is in the snow, it's like nothing is even on the car. Lol. But in rain I never had any issues.

Anyway my question is what tire size goes on next? Is it the same size? I read people going an inch wider in the front and 2 inches wider in the back. Will that just fit on the stock rim? Because I thought the rims were 8 inches wide. That's where I get confused... I would love a wider look in the back but I don't want to mess up anything on the car , like the speedo.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
With the factory R/T 20x8 wheels you can go to a 255/45R20 as that's the widest approved size for a 20x8 wheel. If you had an SRT8 with 20x9 then you could do 275s in the rear.

·
Super Moderator
13,691 Posts
You shouldn't be driving on Goodyear F1s summer tires when the temperature is below 40 degrees. When it gets really cold, it will feel like you are driving on four frozen hockey pucks. Besides a loss of traction, there is also a risk of the tires ripping.

You should either buy a set of all season tires or winter tires, like Blizzaks.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You shouldn't be driving on Goodyear F1s summer tires when the temperature is below 40 degrees. When it gets really cold, it will feel like you are driving on four frozen hockey pucks. Besides a loss of traction, there is also a risk of the tires ripping.

You should either buy a set of all season tires or winter tires, like Blizzaks.

ughhh why would they sell these car with them in NJ....They can really rip? That is scary because I drove with them last winter... I'm trying to find the black rims that come with some challenger models... and I can put winter tires on them

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
ughhh why would they sell these car with them in NJ....They can really rip? That is scary because I drove with them last winter... I'm trying to find the black rims that come with some challenger models... and I can put winter tires on them
I guess because they feel it is a performance car worthy of these tires.... A very high percentage of RT and SRT Challengers never see snow.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Echoing some of the above comments, the 255/45 x 20 work out fine, front and rear. W/regard to the F1 tires in winter, I drove into Flagstaff, AZ one night with just a couple inches of snow and some ice on the road. The tires may just have well been bald. Worse than useless.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Echoing some of the above comments, the 255/45 x 20 work out fine, front and rear. W/regard to the F1 tires in winter, I drove into Flagstaff, AZ one night with just a couple inches of snow and some ice on the road. The tires may just have well been bald. Worse than useless.

lol yes i just experienced that this past week. I literally couldn't even back out of my spot on level ground. I was driving around in 3rd gear. Are the 255's a bit wider or taller?

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
The width of the tires isn't as important as the tread pattern. Get a set of All Season tires if you drive in snow. Summer only tires are death traps in snow.

All Season performance tires are almost matching the performance of summer only tires these days. Go to Tire Rack dot com and do your research.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
If I lived in the snow belt I would buy winter tires and mount them on different wheels, but if you want a good All-Season tire for a good price that will last then look at the Nitto Motivo, I have them and they are a great tire, Y-speed rated and Made in USA...Motivo - All-Season Ultra High Performance Radial

1 - 13 of 13 Posts