Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

When I bought my Challenger they made me sign a piece of paper saying that I understood that I could not put chains on my RT Classic. It has 20" forged aluminum rims.

Are there any options for chains that anyone knows about that are safe to use? I've seen the auto socks, and they look like they would work, but I was wondering about cable chains or something like that? Thule makes some super expensive chains that I found, but the price makes them somewhat uninteresting since I wouldn't be using them that often.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Studded snow tires are a far better option.
Thanks for the idea. Unfortunately I can't run those where I live, but if I move to a full time snow area I would definitely go that route. I had them on a 2wd chevy truck when I lived in Montana and they worked great.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Snow is very bad here in Iowa....:sick: I would love to test out some Studded snow tires.... but i do my best to keep my Challenger out of snow... I found a random link with.... take a look... hope it helps with what you are asking for....

Thule Premium Self-Tensioning Snow Tire Chains - Diamond Pattern - D Link - K-Summit XL - Size K55 Thule Tire Chains TH02230K55
I live in Iowa too and I'm just running snow tires mounted on an extra set of rims. I haven't had any problems getting around and actually the challenger gets thru the snow better then my ford focus ever did!!!

You can usually find a set of rims/snows tires pretty cheap if you look around a little...

·
Registered
321 Posts
I live in Iowa too and I'm just running snow tires mounted on an extra set of rims. I haven't had any problems getting around and actually the challenger gets thru the snow better then my ford focus ever did!!!

You can usually find a set of rims/snows tires pretty cheap if you look around a little...
lol.... I drive my truck when the snow is crazy. What kind of snow tires are you running?

·
Registered
828 Posts
lol.... I drive my truck when the snow is crazy. What kind of snow tires are you running?
Firestone Winterforce tires.... you should see the stares I get cruisin thru a snow storm in my challenger... lol!!!

·
Registered
14,080 Posts
When I bought my Challenger they made me sign a piece of paper saying that I understood that I could not put chains on my RT Classic. It has 20" forged aluminum rims.
What is it a leased car? Never heard that one before. Anyway, I would get a set of 18" police steelies and mount up some studded snow tires as others have suggested. No way to chains but carry a pair of lightweight cables just in case the chain law is up.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
What is it a leased car? Never heard that one before. Anyway, I would get a set of 18" police steelies and mount up some studded snow tires as others have suggested. No way to chains but carry a pair of lightweight cables just in case the chain law is up.
Nope, I bought it. I think they don't want to be liable if you tear up your wheel well but who knows, I don't really get it either, which is why I asked everyone here.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Back in 10, on a different forum, a lady put chains on a SRT (Orange one). I didn't believe her so she posted a picture. Later she posted a photo of what happens when a chain lets go and goes through the wheel well. It was ugly to say the least. If it were me, I would buy a pile of trash to drive in the snow and NEVER chain a Challenger.

My two cents.

·
Super Moderator
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
I think id just stay home and sip some Don Juilo 1942....Or id run the studded tire and forget the law.
FT

·
Premium Member
7,291 Posts
Studded snow tires are a far better option.
.......^^^^^^^^^^
.............This

I too have the Firestone Winterforce tires (studded). My car goes anywhere in snow and/or ice. It's been particularly snowy & cold this winter, and I have had no problems. My work is at the top of a one mile, 9% grade hill. My car goes right up and down without issue.

Sure studs are noisy, but it is worth it for the three months I have them on the car. Just be careful on dry roads as it's way to easy to overwhelm the tires' traction and waste rubber.

I use the 225/60-18 size on a set of OEM R/T take off rims.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Firestone Winterforce tires.... you should see the stares I get cruisin thru a snow storm in my challenger... lol!!!
I ran those tires on my '09 V6 Challenger when I had it. Those Winterforce tires were beastly in the snow. The treads on those things were ridiculous but VERY noisey.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I'm thinking about putting on Continental Extreme Contact DWS when the stock tires wear out and buying a set of those auto socks for when the chain controls go up.

In my experience a really cheap beater car can actually be kind of expensive in the long run unless you have really good luck. A $2000 car usually needs 5K to make it right. I drive a lot for work and being stranded and fixing cars on the weekend gets old and expensive after a couple years (don't ask me how I know).

Thanks for the options and opinions everyone.

·
Registered
24 Posts
In my experience a really cheap beater car can actually be kind of expensive in the long run unless you have really good luck. A $2000 car usually needs 5K to make it right. I drive a lot for work and being stranded and fixing cars on the weekend gets old and expensive after a couple years (don't ask me how I know).

Not to mention driving a beater car in such cold weather isn't overly safe. A breakdown in the wrong spot without cell service could be bad news.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I'm thinking about putting on Continental Extreme Contact DWS when the stock tires wear out and buying a set of those auto socks for when the chain controls go up.

How did you go with the socks? Any luck?

I very very rarely need chains or anything more than winter tyres here, but it can happen sometimes. I went skiing and on the last 20 minutes the road was pretty snowy but completely fine, however the last part of the drive into the village and up the driveway of the hotel was mental. If I got chains or socks they would be stored in the boot for 99.99% of the time, but there for those "just in case" situations. In this skiing case, the driveway was approx a 20-30° incline that had been freshly cleaned but it was snowing pretty hard and I only got up half way in my previous car (RWD). Ended up having two people pushing the back and 1 pushing the car sideways to stop it sliding sideways off the driveway. Not very fun!

I also don't want to destroy the rims though so maybe socks would give enough traction.

Cheers

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yeah, when I bought mine I had to sign off on that as well. Mine has 6M and STP and the 20 inch wheels. Fortunately I live where snow is seldom encountered.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts