Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to get a slight shimmy in my front end chased down so I went to a road force balance place. Turned out it was the right rear tire which I have mounted on Cragar SS mags. Watched the tire ape take one wheel off and put on the new one (I had the spare mounted and took the car home when they didn't have the new tire in stock - NO WAY was I leaving it there over night). I kid you not, it took him 45 minutes (I watched the whole time) to air wrench off the spare and put on the wheel. It took him 10 minutes just to find the socket! Then, as if that wasn't enough, HE PUT THE SPARE ON MY REAR BUMPER before he put it in the trunk. I'm watching him the whole time. I went ballistic. I went into the office and told them that the guy put the tire on my bumper before putting it in the trunk. He denied it, of course, though the tire mark was on the bumper. Couldn't believe it. I should have put it on myself, and was going to when they called me and said the tire and wheel were ready, but the guy said, "bring it in, we'll put it on for you free of charge". Sheesh. I got an apology from the tech writers but nothing from the guy.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,650 Posts
I'm with you...once I got some aftermarket wheels for my car and also starting having to replace tires on a semi-regular basis (bad luck w/ tire selections - rears kept going bald for some reason), I stopped even taking my car into any place to have wheel/tire service performed. And it was because of the fear of experiences like yours happening to me that I adopted that approach.

If I needed a new tire, I took the wheel & tire off myself and took it in loose for them replace the tire.

If I needed all four wheels balanced, I pulled them off two at a time and took them in loose to have them balanced. Once they finished the 1st two, I'd take em home, put em on, pull the other two and take them in.

Luckily, I had saved two of the OE Mich's that came on my car and kept them on my OE rims for full sized spares, so I could do this sort of thing while still continuing to have my car to drive while the work was being done.

But even so, was it a pain to have to do all the jacking up, removing of wheels, remounting wheels, and unjacking car, etc. when I needed work done? Absolutely.

But I figured that was the only way I could ensure my car wasn't scratched and dinged on regular basis by some slack-jawed trogladite that only got a job at the local tire place as a way of killing time in between county jail stints.

And no, I'm not saying every tire tech at these places is such a person, but some are, and I don't like playing the lottery to see which customer gets him every time I go in there...thus my previously mentioned approach.

<end rant/>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts