Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for advice from tire/alignment experts. This picture is of the inside edge of a tire (RSA-2) with 47k miles. Tread depth isn’t to the wear bars. Car tracks in a straight line with no pulling. Developed a slow leak today and started losing a pound of air every 2-3 minutes. The edge below the damage is smooth and looks like it may rub on something, but is is baby butt smooth with no obvious wear or damage marks. This is off the front driver side, 2016 Scat Pack. I will be getting the alignment checked after new rubber installed. Rotate ever 5-6k. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
You might have run over something to cause damage like that. But definitely a good idea to get an alighnment when getting new tires. I rotate mine on my 2013 R/T every 5K as well...

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is where it gets tricky. This is my daughters car. She had the almost identical thing happen at 30,000 miles in exactly the same spot. We looked at the picture taken when that happened back then. I’m thinking coincidence, but want to see if anyone else has had similar.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is the picture of the other one in January of this year? Is this an RSA-2 thing?

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I say you are rubbing on something. It should be easy to find. Pull each tire off and look for a shiny spot where the tire has been polishing whatever it's rubbing against.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
The only thing it could be rubbing on (after looking at my car) is the steering knuckle. Was the car ever hit in the front corner? Has she ever ran over anything or hit a pot hole really hard?

Looks like the only way the tire could contact the steering knuckle (about 1/2" clearance in that area) is if the wheel offset is wrong, wrong size tire, bearings are really bad, wheel is really bent or the knuckle is bent.

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
If it was rubbing on something it would be all the way around or the best part of, looks like you have clipped something, curb, rock or what ever. The top photo to me clearly shows some sort of impact.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
If it was rubbing on something it would be all the way around or the best part of, looks like you have clipped something, curb, rock or what ever. The top photo to me clearly shows some sort of impact.
Look at both tires. They both have wear all the way around in the area where they split. It's even more noticeable on the 2nd tire. That wear area is at the closest point to the knuckle.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Looking for advice from tire/alignment experts. This picture is of the inside edge of a tire (RSA-2) with 47k miles. Tread depth isn’t to the wear bars. Car tracks in a straight line with no pulling. Developed a slow leak today and started losing a pound of air every 2-3 minutes. The edge below the damage is smooth and looks like it may rub on something, but is is baby butt smooth with no obvious wear or damage marks. This is off the front driver side, 2016 Scat Pack. I will be getting the alignment checked after new rubber installed. Rotate ever 5-6k. Any thoughts? View attachment 976535
Are these tires oversized for your car? What tire size are these?

·
Registered
413 Posts
These cars suffer from Negative Camber from the Factory. The inside of the tire wears and there is NO factory adjustment. Only "body shop" specs. I like to drag race and have smoother wearing tires. I installed adjustable links in the rear and adjustable A-arms in the front to be able to adjust to my specs.....problem solved.

With similar mileage on similar tires I would say that is more than a coincidence. However....anything is possible. I would say at a minimum have it checked at a reputable shop to make sure there is no damage or excessive wear on parts.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,649 Posts
Looking for advice from tire/alignment experts. This picture is of the inside edge of a tire (RSA-2) with 47k miles. Tread depth isn’t to the wear bars. Car tracks in a straight line with no pulling. Developed a slow leak today and started losing a pound of air every 2-3 minutes. The edge below the damage is smooth and looks like it may rub on something, but is is baby butt smooth with no obvious wear or damage marks. This is off the front driver side, 2016 Scat Pack. I will be getting the alignment checked after new rubber installed. Rotate ever 5-6k. Any thoughts? View attachment 976535
Either the tire hit something or the tire suffered mechanical failure because it is not suited for use on the car.

Of the two the "hit something" is much more likely.

With 47K miles time to replace at least both front tires.

Unless front (or rear) tire wear is uneven across tread faces, or uneven from side to side, or the tires show signs of feathering or scrubbing alignment is not really called for.

(I hit a softball sized rock with the right front tire of my GTO. Blew out the tire. Long story short took the car to an indy tire shop for a new tire and an alignment check/set I was worried the impact upsetting the alignment. (Over active imagination at work.) Got the car back and in not much time the front tires were wearing very heavily on their inside edges. The indy tire shop turned a good alignment into a bad one. and I had to replace two front tires prematurely.)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Either the tire hit something or the tire suffered mechanical failure because it is not suited for use on the car.

Of the two the "hit something" is much more likely.

With 47K miles time to replace at least both front tires.

Unless front (or rear) tire wear is uneven across tread faces, or uneven from side to side, or the tires show signs of feathering or scrubbing alignment is not really called for.

(I hit a softball sized rock with the right front tire of my GTO. Blew out the tire. Long story short took the car to an indy tire shop for a new tire and an alignment check/set I was worried the impact upsetting the alignment. (Over active imagination at work.) Got the car back and in not much time the front tires were wearing very heavily on their inside edges. The indy tire shop turned a good alignment into a bad one. and I had to replace two front tires prematurely.)
"Unless front (or rear) tire wear is uneven across tread faces, or uneven from side to side, or the tires show signs of feathering or scrubbing alignment is not really called for".

Look at the pictures...both are worn on the inside. The first tire's inside is completely gone. Typical of too much negative camber.....period.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
These are the stock 245 tires on 20” stock rims. Earlier today I removed all the wheels to change the brake pads to carbon ceramic pads for her. The Brembos were squealing and it was pretty bothersome to her. Well anyway, I discovered that the right side front is showing the same type of wear but not as advanced. I’ll take a picture and post it in a few minutes.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Because of road crown, that would make sense.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here are the pics of the other wheel....

Looks like the inside of tires are tilted “in” and wearing unevenly. Alignment for sure after new rubber. I’ll advise with the results.... glad I discovered this. Nobody wants their loved ones driving around on borrowed time.

·
Registered
413 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Here are the pics of the other wheel....

View attachment 976552 View attachment 976553 View attachment 976554
Looks like the inside of tires are tilted “in” and wearing unevenly. Alignment for sure after new rubber. I’ll advise with the results.... glad I discovered this. Nobody wants their loved ones driving around on borrowed time.

You are in for a surprise my friend! There are NO adjustments other than "toe". That is by design. Our cars come with a lot of Neg camber. Their reasoning is Neg camber helps keep the car "centered" on the road. It does.....but at the cost of "scrubbing" the tires on the insides. The ONLY way to get a front end alignment....other than "toe".....is to change to aftermarket suspension parts. I recently did both the front and rear. I gained .2 on my 0-60 time after I adjusted the rears to zero camber. (like a straight axle) Now the tires are flat and provide maximum traction.

The fronts are factory spec'd at 1.4 and 1.7 degrees neg camber....(a lot) I now have .25 and .50. The car feels and drives better......the tires wear evenly.....and I gained speed. The important thing is that you caught it....and no one was hurt....that's a real blessing :)

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the reply’s. I thought I read on here years ago about the limited ability to adjust alignment on the Challenger. I’m sure 47k miles has something to do with it too. I am actually really impressed with the condition of the tread, even though the inside edges took a beating. I know it’s a completely different tire but I got just 23k out of 3 season Pirelli P-Zeros with no aggressive driving history. My advice to all is rotate frequently and look those inside edges closely while they are off the car.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,649 Posts
"Unless front (or rear) tire wear is uneven across tread faces, or uneven from side to side, or the tires show signs of feathering or scrubbing alignment is not really called for".

Look at the pictures...both are worn on the inside. The first tire's inside is completely gone. Typical of too much negative camber.....period.
Not seeing the pic showing the uneven wear.

I've seen new tires worn out due to uneven wear in just 8K miles. The outer edge tread depth is still quite deep. Barely any wear showing. OTOH the inside edge is worn down to the belts.

IIRC you said the tires had 47K miles? If there was any real issue with alignment no way those tires would have lasted 47K miles.

But it is your decision if you want to get an alignment or not.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts