Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use Aerospace 303 Protectant on their tires? I have heard that this the best UV protection for your sidewalls. Conversely, most tire dressings have petroleum-based ingredients that are bad for your tires.

Also, what type of shine does Areospace 303 leave on the tires? Satin or glossy?

Here is a review of this versatile product.

https://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-Pro/303-aerospace-protectant-review-and-guide/

·
Registered
37 Posts
May not be helpful for your questions, but I just bought their tire dressing, doesn't sling and you can choose between matte and gloss so I am assuming the same thing. It is also water-based. I use the spray for my interior and it leaves just a deep black, I wouldn't call it glossy.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
Does anyone use Aerospace 303 Protectant on their tires? I have heard that this the best UV protection for your sidewalls. Conversely, most tire dressings have petroleum-based ingredients that are bad for your tires.

Also, what type of shine does Areospace 303 leave on the tires? Satin or glossy?

I've used it (Aero 303 protectant)- it evens out the sidewall and makes it look more black. Its more of a satin finish, seems the tire absorbs it. Fairly subtle. Just helps get rid of the gray / brown sidewall effect.

For those that want that "tire shine" look - this product won't give that kind of result.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,032 Posts
Some dealers use a tire dressing. I don't know off hand what they use but it appears to be something available off the auto parts store shelves. I think something by Armor All as I recall seeing a black/yellow spray bottle in the detailer's bay. Generally the only time I notice tire dressing is when I see what looks to be drops of oil on the body work and thinking there's a fluid leak take the car back and then I learn that's just the tire dressing excess. I have asked that no tire dressing be used on my car's tires when I bring the cars in and I certainly don't use any, at least recently, within the last <static> years.

Years ago I did, well, my Dad had me using some kind of tire dressing, something with glycerin in it. He managed a Goodyear tire store and every summer at the State Fair the various farm equipment companies would have their equipment set up and on display. Tractors. Combines. Harvesters. Grain lifting systems. You name it it was there at the fair. The equipment that had Goodyear tires fitted Dad sent to visit to treat the tire sidewalls with this glycerin compound.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
I use 303 on my tires. It doesn’t really make them shiny. They just look really clean and black. The part I don’t like is the sprayer is messy. I just spread it all over the tire and then wipe over it with a small piece of a shop rag to even it out. Then I wipe off any overspray and spots from the wheels.i really like the way it makes the tires look, and it lasts.

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
I use 303 on my tires. It doesn’t really make them shiny. They just look really clean and black. The part I don’t like is the sprayer is messy. I just spread it all over the tire and then wipe over it with a small piece of a shop rag to eaten it out. Then I wipe off any overspray and spots from the wheels.i really like the way it makes the tires look, and it lasts.

To avoid that issue, I just spray the heck out of a rag with 303, and then wipe the tire down. No overspray issue!

FWIW, that's how I do the wheel wells too.

Reactions: MrMac

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
To avoid that issue, I just spray the heck out of a rag with 303, and then wipe the tire down. No overspray issue!

Well, I've done it that way, too. But I went back to just spraying it straight onto the tire because I like to have it get into all the tread grooves at the edge, if that makes any sense.

The best "tire shine" I've ever used is one called "Looks Wet, No Mess". However, it's one that makes the tire shiny and wet-looking and that look has gone out of favor.
The thing I liked most about it is the spray is a very fine mist, similar to hair spray. It doesn't make a mess going on, dries quickly, and never slings off.
I don't know why other companies can't make a spray the same way since they all know how messy their products are to apply to tires.

·
Registered
73 Posts

I go to Dollar General or the Dollar store and pick up Foam applicators(NOT sponges). They come l think six to a pack and work really well when applying dressing. Nice and cheeeeep.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I go to Dollar General or the Dollar store and pick up Foam applicators(NOT sponges). They come l think six to a pack and work really well when applying dressing. Nice and cheeeeep.
That's the secret...heavily saturate foam blocks by putting the spray head of the 303 bottle right onto the foam block surface in several areas until it starts to drip off the sponge and then apply the 303. Be sure to let it set a while so it soaks into the tires. Once it does, either even it off by wiping off excess with a dedicated microfiber rag for a nice matt black look or hit it with another treatment of 303, wait, and then wipe for a semi-gloss shine. Real tasteful look IMO and absolutely no sling either. Lasts quite a while as well. I use old foam packing material that is wedge shaped I got from work for free, but you can find retail applicators for not a lot of money.

Applicators

---------------------------------

1 - 10 of 10 Posts