Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving back home I noticed one of my tire was kinda low on the pressure display. It was 29 eventually it went up to 32PSI but it stayed there while the other tires were at 34. I got home and and noticed something sticking in the tire. The good thing was that the pressure went up and it wasn't decreasing but I definitely think I need to bring it in somewhere to fix it.

I used to buy my tires at Costco when I had to replace them and I got the package that includes the free balance, rotation and flat repairs. Since these tires are the original tires do you guys have any recommendation on where to get the tire fixed? Costco? America's Tire?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,221 Posts
I can't give you any specific recommendation for a tire store in your area, but I can offer some advice.

Ask the tire store that you select how they will patch it. Do not settle for a quick external plug. This kind of patch could work itself loose. To do it right, the tire must be taken off of the wheel and patched from the inside out. The patch used will look like a valve stem and its circular base will be cemented to the inside part of the tire and the stem pulled through the hole (see photo below).

Your tire will have to be carefully inspected, however. Punctures in the shoulder of a tire or sidewall are not repairable. See video link, below.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...ba64aa7a78ff36855428e68634dcb2ec&action=click

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
I had a nail in my front right , my thoughts are one fix properly, 2 DO Not scratch my rims.
The shop I use will not plug only patch.

Also hear in Florida most of the guys in the shops do not make much money
So when he started to jack up my car up I say please be careful with my wheels
and handed him 10 dollars. Best money ever spent, lol.

But, the job was done right and no scratches,

·
Registered
202 Posts
I was in the same boat as you, only purchased tires at Costco prior to this car. I found out that Discount Tire does free patch work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,683 Posts
Costco won’t fix a tire not purchased there. That tire is pretty much done already, I’d guess most places wouldn’t want liability patching it.

Reactions: EricG

·
Super Moderator
14,221 Posts
I had a nail in my front right , my thoughts are one fix properly, 2 DO Not scratch my rims.
So when he started to jack up my car up I say please be careful with my wheels and handed him 10 dollars. Best money ever spent, lol.But, the job was done right and no scratches,

That's why when I recently purchased 4 new tires for my SRT, I looked for a garage that sells custom wheels uses a state-of-the-art Hunter tire changer. I didn't want scratches on my super expensive forged Alcoa aluminum wheels.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The shop I use will not plug only patch.

Also hear in Florida most of the guys in the shops do not make much money
So when he started to jack up my car up I say please be careful with my wheels
and handed him 10 dollars. Best money ever spent, lol.

But, the job was done right and no scratches,
dang i would totally do that. i am very ocd about my car and damages but it would be weird to hand the costco guy a $10.

I was in the same boat as you, only purchased tires at Costco prior to this car. I found out that Discount Tire does free patch work.

thanks costco rejected me, said these fancy pirelli's aren't repairable u gotta replace, is that bs?

Costco won’t fix a tire not purchased there. That tire is pretty much done already, I’d guess most places wouldn’t want liability patching it.
:/ yeah costco wouldn't do it

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When you say the tire is pretty much done do you mean it's unrepairable? I know costco can't fix it, but Just Tires told me they would.

Do you guys think I just got a new tire or do the $20 repair? I'm getting two opinions. One is saying to fix the flat properly. The other is saying Pirellis won't let you fix it so it's a safety reason to just get a new tire. I don't now if it's really the liability or if they just want more money. There should still be 20k of tread left. I want to upgrade all 4 tires together when the time comes. I need to search the threads for the best replacement for 275 hellcat tires.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Take it to Discount Tire. If they tell you the same thing then you probably need to replace them. If puncture site is to far on the sidewall of the tire, they can’t patch it.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger Scat Pack
1,924 Posts
not rocket science here man. Millions of tires go flat every week and are either fixed or replaced. Take the tire to a good shop and get their opinion. People act like because its a tire on a challenger its something special, its not

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
When you say the tire is pretty much done do you mean it's unrepairable? I know costco can't fix it, but Just Tires told me they would.

Do you guys think I just got a new tire or do the $20 repair? I'm getting two opinions. One is saying to fix the flat properly. The other is saying Pirellis won't let you fix it so it's a safety reason to just get a new tire. I don't now if it's really the liability or if they just want more money. There should still be 20k of tread left. I want to upgrade all 4 tires together when the time comes. I need to search the threads for the best replacement for 275 hellcat tires.
I was going to say the same thing, looks like you are almost down to the wear bars and places just don't want to work with tires that worn because of the liability. Not all places though, sounds like you may have found one...good luck!

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,325 Posts
I've always plugged my own. I keep a kit in my tool box...

·
Premium Member
7,309 Posts
Reactions: 72/340
1 - 13 of 13 Posts