Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys ,

Seems I could really use some help as I kind of have myself in a pickle, I have a 2015 Manual 6 speed R/T challenger with the Stock 9 inch Wheels.

As it was time for new tires (front tires showing cords) I searched posts and decided on a set of 275/40/20 Atturo AZ800 series tires, Took the car to the shop to have them installed (Tire Kingdom) and was told that they were not able to put the tires on as they were rubbing and I would need spacers and they do not do that.

Back to the forum posts I go and I do see that somehow I missed that on some challengers the 275 tires do indeed rub, walk out of the house this morning and one of my pretty worn original tires is flat, so now I need to know what I should do , the online site I bought from will not accept a refund of the tires that were put on the rims.

So my question to the veterans here is do I need wheel spacers? I see big ones that have their own wheel bolts and then thin plates from like pep boys , or do I just need to eat the money and order new tires and run factory size, any help will be much appreciated just need a solid plan to help get me out of this mess.

Thanks in advance.

Shawn

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Hi guys ,

Seems I could really use some help as I kind of have myself in a pickle, I have a 2015 Manual 6 speed R/T challenger with the Stock 9 inch Wheels.

As it was time for new tires (front tires showing cords) I searched posts and decided on a set of 275/40/20 Atturo AZ800 series tires, Took the car to the shop to have them installed (Tire Kingdom) and was told that they were not able to put the tires on as they were rubbing and I would need spacers and they do not do that.

Back to the forum posts I go and I do see that somehow I missed that on some challengers the 275 tires do indeed rub, walk out of the house this morning and one of my pretty worn original tires is flat, so now I need to know what I should do , the online site I bought from will not accept a refund of the tires that were put on the rims.

So my question to the veterans here is do I need wheel spacers? I see big ones that have their own wheel bolts and then thin plates from like pep boys , or do I just need to eat the money and order new tires and run factory size, any help will be much appreciated just need a solid plan to help get me out of this mess.

Thanks in advance.

Shawn
I have a 2016 Scat Pack Shaker and I ordered Nitto 275/45/20s (Should have ordered 275/40/20s) so their about an inch taller. I've had them for almost a year and don't have any issues with rubbing. Their on the original rim without any spacers etc. Next set I'll order the 275/40/20s.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Hi guys ,

Thanks in advance.

Shawn
Did you buy just 2 tires for the front or 4 tires?
Just thinking that if only 2 tires, did you try them on the back? They have a good chance of fitting on the back. Then you could put you rear tires on the front, for now.
Not sure what your total situation is.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the reply, from what i am seeing now that i am doing some deeper digging is that you have a different offset with the Scat Pack , thats why i was wondering if maybe a spacer would fix my problem.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have 275s on the front and they don't rub, but like you said, it might depend. I'm not sure if this is for both front and back tires, but one potential issue.. when installed on a lift they may rub, but when lowered and under weight, they may no longer rub. do you know if they checked both situations?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They did not take it off the lift, they refused, they said it was rubbing and they would not install them, I have read that as well that some have had it rub on the lift but on the ground they were ok , i was just never able to verify that they had the
Stock R/T Wheels or not.

·
Super Moderator
13,872 Posts
I bought all 4 , I am not sure if they would fit on the back either at this point.
There should be no issue with the 275/40-20s mounted on the rear. However, back in 2009, the SRT engineers recommended nothing wider than 245/45-20s on the front of SRTs, due to suspension clearance issues during hard cornering.

Many of us have mounted 275s on the rear and 245s on the front to give our Challengers that "old school" look. :woot:

·
Registered
518 Posts
They did not take it off the lift, they refused, they said it was rubbing and they would not install them, I have read that as well that some have had it rub on the lift but on the ground they were ok , i was just never able to verify that they had the
Stock R/T Wheels or not.
That's too bad. For what it's worth, mine is a 2011 R/T 6 speed that has been lowered with mopar springs. 275s on the front and 315s in the back. only had rubbing in the back and needed 5mm spacer and fenders rolled. newer models come with fenders rolled already.

·
Registered
486 Posts
You mentioned,. "...the online site I bought from will not accept a refund of the tires that were put on the rims."
By the sounds of it they may have only mounted one tire. ?? If that was true could you return 2 tires that were not mounted for a size that would fit the front and keep the other 2 for the rear?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts