Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a used set of classic rims with tires and will be installing them in the next couple of weeks. I would like to install them myself but need to know if they need to be rebalanced or should i be able to just throw them on? Also i was looking at one of those racing jacks from sears, i believe it was a craftsman 3 ton jack with 2 jack tands and a creeper for like $109 on sale. Is this ok to get or should i look at something else. I like to try and do everything by the book so i will probably need a torque wrench as well any suggestions? or should i just bring it to my local mechanic and pay the $100 he's probably going to charge me and be done with it.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
It never hurts to have wheels ballanced. I have never jacked my car up so I don't know if the jack your talking about will work, Here is the torque info.
The R/T and the SRT use the same factory hardened lug nut. Dodge p/n 06507826AA.
Lug Wheel pattern 5x115
Lug nuts thread 14mmx1.50 (Note Dim: A in print below )

NOTE 1: Use a 21MM deep impact socket (6 point) to remove/replace lugs. A 12 point socket may correctly fit but can cause
damage to the lug nut finish as these use high torque's.

NOTE 2: IMPORTANT!
R/T wheel lugs: Torque to 100 ft.lbs cold (135 N·m). (Ref. Owner's Manual 2009 pg. 351, section 6)
SRT wheel lugs: Torque to 110 ft.lbs cold (150 N-m). (Ref. 09 Challenger (LC) Service Manual, Sec 22.4)

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Skip the Sears jack/stand/creeper combo. At $109 I doubt the jack will be any good. I bought one from them years ago and it's junk. I still use it but hate it.

Jack stands are good. I've got a set of those from Sears and they are fine.

Creeper by itself is fine too, but I actually found one I liked better at Harbor Freight for like $9 and use it most of the time now.

Sears torque wrench is fine for around home garage use. Torque the lugs to 110 ft/lbs.

My buddy has this jack and loves it. I'll be getting one of these myself when I have some spare change.

Aluminum jacks, speed jacks, racing jacks at discount prices from ASE

Be careful where you jack up the Challenger. Reference the owners manual. There is no frame, so the jack points are specific to avoid damage.

How many miles are on the tires/wheels? If not too many I'd not worry with balancing them. If they have more than 10,000 miles I'd get them balanced and just have the shop put them on for ya since you'll be there anyway.

Otherwise do it yourself. It's easy and shouldn't take more than 20 minutes or so.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Sears torque wrench is fine for around home garage use. Torque the lugs to 110 ft/lbs.
Buyer beware, Sears will not honor a lifetime warrenty on their click-style torque wrench, only the beam-style. Dad and I have both gotten into arguments with them about this and have yet to hear a real answer as to why this is not considered a hand tool to them.:notallthere:

I do agree that the wheels should be balanced again. I try to balance wheels every time I pull them off anything.:werd:

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Buyer beware, Sears will not honor a lifetime warrenty on their click-style torque wrench, only the beam-style. Dad and I have both gotten into arguments with them about this and have yet to hear a real answer as to why this is not considered a hand tool to them.:notallthere:
True on the click torque wrenches and lifetime warranty at Sears. I've got two of them and they're still going strong after many years, but they aren't covered for some reason. Best advice it to not drop them or throw them around. That seems to mess up torque wrenches.

I couldn't find one at Lowe's or Home Depot, so Sears it was for mine.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I wouldn't rebalance a tire that was already balanced. If you drive around and the car is jumping around then get them rebalanced.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts