Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to give the tire lettering another shot. This time I’m using a Kit from TredWear. I’ve ordered the recommended degreaser which should arrive Saturday. The process seems straightforward (lol). Will report results tomorrow night

The letters are individual. You place them on the supplied sticky film, add adhesive, then press on the tire.

Wish me luck
Bill D

·
Premium Member
4,062 Posts
Good luck Bill!
Hope it goes great!!! :)

Reactions: Bill Dobbins

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,441 Posts
What’s different from the first attempt?

In other words, I’m wondering if you identified why the 1st attempt failed and how that is rectified this go-round.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think it was due to poor prep on my part and crappy instructions from the manufacturer

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I finished the lettering. Whew! Adding one letter at a time is painstaking slow. But the results are almost perfect.

The first tire was a pita as I was learning as I went along.nthe subsequent tires were much easier. Finished look is really good, but not perfect. I can live with it

Bill D

·
Premium Member
4,062 Posts
Looks great Bill.
Nice job! (y)

·
Premium Member
4,062 Posts
My back saver.
Best $30 I ever spent at Harbor Freight.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper

·
Premium Member
4,062 Posts
At 6'4", 325 pounds and 73 years old. Nobody makes a stool that's comfortable. LOL
l I
" 325 pounds"
Not even sure it's rated for that.
Big man! I'm just a buck fifty.
;)

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,709 Posts
Ok, I finished the lettering. Whew! Adding one letter at a time is painstaking slow. But the results are almost perfect.

The first tire was a pita as I was learning as I went along.nthe subsequent tires were much easier. Finished look is really good, but not perfect. I can live with it

Bill D
They look great, other than 1 of the letter "I"s is upside down.

·
Super Moderator
15,450 Posts
The white-letter tires add a nice retro touch to your Challenger.

The only negative that I see is the large size of the letters. In the 70s, the letters were much smaller (see photo).

·
Registered
2011 gwe srt
849 Posts
id love it if goodrich would come out with white lettered radial t/as for 20 inch rims. I even emailed them suggesting it. Send them an email yourself. maybe if theres enough interst theyd do a run of them.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,709 Posts
id love it if goodrich would come out with white lettered radial t/as for 20 inch rims. I even emailed them suggesting it. Send them an email yourself. maybe if theres enough interst theyd do a run of them.
I'd definitely consider them.

·
Registered
112 Posts

View attachment 1026415
View attachment 1026416
Bill D
Yes! These look great! I'm still gun shy about doing mine, but this is inspirational!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes! These look great! I'm still gun shy about doing mine, but this is inspirational!
if you decide to go with doing the letters, make sure you clean the areas on the tires with acetone until nothing more comes off the tires. Then wipe down with isopropyl alcohol. Let dry.

Look for an area on the tires that are flat. Raised areas I found make adhesion difficult and the results less than optimal. Once you stick them onto the tires make sure it’s where you want them. Nearly impossible to redo.

It’s almost worthwhile buying an extra set and practicing on an old tire from a salvage yard.

Bill D

Reactions: Nubs
1 - 19 of 19 Posts