Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my stock 18" RT rims with 22" inch rims over the weekend. After about 30 minutes of driving, the tire pressure indicator light came on and hasn't gone off. Has anybody encountered this issue?

If so, how did you get it to turn off?

·
Banned
642 Posts
First off welcome to the site!

A little more info would help alot:

Did you use the same sensors from your original wheels or did you buy a new set?

If you bought a new set than maybe one is defective (I will assume if you bought new ones they are the correct sensors for that model as there are a few different sensors for Chryslers).

This is an obvious question but you did check the pressures with a tire gauge and ensure they are all in fact correct?

BTW - You cannot turn the system off, if you have a bad sensor or if the tire pressures are incorrect the light will always be on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome. Okay so the first question that comes to mind is what sensors?

I didnt do anything with the old sensors or purchase any sensors for the new rims.
Could that be the issue?

Yes the tire pressure is good.

Thanks ,

·
Premium Member
3,045 Posts
^^^ Yes you have to have a TPMS sensor in each wheel and it has to be the correct model one for your vehicle. So either buy a new set and have them put in the new wheels or have the original ones transferred to your new wheels.

·
Banned
642 Posts
Now I am a little confused. Most wheels today are made to accommodate TPMS sensors. And all of the wheels I have seen that support TPMS sensors have a hole in the wheel for a normal air stem and another for the TPMS sensor. I will also assume a tire shop mounted your tires so they did not ask you if you had sensors or needed to buy them. Check your wheels to see if they in fact have sensors in them. You can tell by looking at the valve stem and if it is a sensor it will have an aluminum collar over the valve stem with a hex nut on top. I know this might be hard to understand if you have never seen one of these sensors before but let's say it looks totally different than the valve stem for a bike tire. You should also call your tire installer and ask them if they knew you needed sensors. I am also surprised it took so long for the light to come on if you really do not have sensors in the wheels.

Good luck

·
Registered
133 Posts
Check your wheels to see if they in fact have sensors in them. You can tell by looking at the valve stem and if it is a sensor it will have an aluminum collar over the valve stem with a hex nut on top.
FYI, the 2010 models have a rubber stem, no collar or nut. ALL Challengers come from the factory with TPM sensors mounted to the valve stem inside the wheel. You just have to swap the sensors from your 18s into your new wheels. Unfortunately you will have to rebalance as well, as adding the sensors will throw off the balance. There is no known way to bypass the dash warning light; have the sensors installed or stare at that light from now on.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
TPMS

OK, you went from 18" wheels and tires to 22" wheels and tires. If the tire shop didn't break down your 18" wheels your TPMS are still on the 18" wheels. If your 22" wheels didn't come with TPMS's you need to buy new ones. But make sure the new ones will fit your wheels. I put Weld racing wheels on and bought the stock MOPAR TPMS they won't fit due to the angle of the hole and and the TPMS. So before you spend $40 + per wheel check with your wheel company. Some tire shops will take 3M tape and tape the TPMS to the center of the wheel and run a new air valve. Not sure how long the tape will hold. Like others have said you can't turn the light off. Good luck.

I replaced my stock 18" RT rims with 22" inch rims over the weekend. After about 30 minutes of driving, the tire pressure indicator light came on and hasn't gone off. Has anybody encountered this issue?

If so, how did you get it to turn off?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Also, if you buy a new set instead of resusing your old ones, make sure to check fleabay. I paid $79 shipped for a set of four brand new factory TPM sensors for my 2010.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts