Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Challenger family,
My right rear tire is losing about 1-2lbs air pressure every day (according to the dash readout). I haven't been able to take the car to the dealership yet, but there does not seem to be anything that has punctured the tire. I don't feel any air escaping around the valve stem.
Anyone else experience this?

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
You might want to check the tiire with a gauge and make sure it's leaking instead of trusting the EVIC indication. If there's nothing in the tire, spray something around the valve stem. You won't normally be able to feel it comming out but you'll get bubbles in what ever you spray on it if it's leaking. Normally tires aren't covered for punctures. That's why I have mine covered by Goodyear and just take anything like that to them.
Good luck

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Itzrick,
Thank you for the reply. I'll try the spray technique.
The tire is definitely losing air. The first time the sensor "hollered at me", it was reading 25lbs...I looked at the tire and it was visibly lower than it should be.
(sigh) More investigating to do.
Thank you.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Your welcome, I've never heard of a sensor problem reading wrong. Usually they don't read at all when bad. That would be covered. The tires are temp. sensitive and you do need to add a pound for every 10 degrees of temp change but if it's only one you have a leak.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Have tire dis-mounted..check the bead for imperfections or debris..then check the valve stem ..better yet get a new stem..remount and wala!

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
I think The Stem is part of the TPS so I don't think you want to change it. Let the dealer pay for it if it's bad.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took it to the dealership. Ended up being a bad tire. I had hit a pot hole ~10 mph and it put a smaill dent in the wheel (behind the inside of the tire) but, actually caused a small dimple in the sidewall of the tire. That's where the leak was traced. New tire @ $250 was the bottom line. Better than $1063 for a new wheel. Tire pressure is now holding steady.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Low tire pressure

Had same problem. Have it in right now and the only issue they found is the TPMS nut was leaking. I started challenger srt8 one morning to find right rear had 20 psi. Babied it to gas station to put in air and no problems until yesterday. Found out that one of the techs crossthreaded the TPMS monitors and now its shot. Looking at it now and that's what could be the problem. Have them look at that. Slow leak at first but it WILL get worse.

Hope this helps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts