Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tire pressure according to door tag is 32psi . Do I have to add more air if I'm driving with one passenger and a couple of bags on a road trip ? If so , what would be the correct psi with this extra load ?
Thanks

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,026 Posts
Your car should have a tire placard located on the end of the driver side door or on the B pillar facing the end of the door.

This placard will have on it a list of various load weights and the recommended tire inflation pressures.

·
Registered
15,064 Posts
No, that 32 psi is the pressure required to support the weight of the car, passengers, cargo, etc at it's maximum gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR).

Look on the tire and loading information sticker and it will tell you the maximum cargo capacity (GVWR minus curb weight) for your car, just stay below that and inflate your tires to 32 psi cold and you are good.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Slidd is right. 32 psi cold is still right on. The pressure will also rise as you drive and the tires warm up. The only time you'd need to go much higher is if you're doing sustained high speeds, like on the Autobahn. Just make sure they aren't underinflated.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I recently picked up my 2017 SP and all four tires are in the 41-43 PSI range. Is that high? I have yet to look for the appropriate amount given I haven't needed to.

·
Registered
116 Posts
IMO the 32psi door recommendation is generic in that its based on weight divided by 4.

The thing is the car is heavier in front then in the rear.
I do the following:
245/45/20 front 34-35 psi cold
275/40/20 rear 28-30 psi cold
(Since the rear tires are wider and the weight is spread out over an inch wider contact area.)

With the front and rear at 32 psi I could see that the front tires looked a little squishy compared to the rear. After driving slowly across a dry parking lot that was white with salt and damp or wet tires, I noticed what you see in the picture.
The edge of the rear tires were not contacting the pavement as much as the fronts.

I did see a video as well discussing proper set up to drag race and I know it may not translate exactly to basic driving but it was mentioned to run 38-40 front and 28 rear. If that works without any issues for racing, I would think you would be fine some where close to that maybe 36 front/30 rear for those with 245's on all corners.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Billet Silver SRT 392 (1 of 2)
145 Posts
I recently picked up my 2017 SP and all four tires are in the 41-43 PSI range. Is that high? I have yet to look for the appropriate amount given I haven't needed to.
As members have stated in other threads, many of the tires from the factory come overinflated. Mine were at 45-50 psi when I took delivery! Some have conjectured they're aired up high for shipping/transporting purposes (tie downs?). I like to use the information on the driver's side door jam as a guide.

Enjoy your new Challenger!

saint 0:)

·
Registered
116 Posts
I drove my car home from a VT dealer to Maine last fall. An enjoyable 5 hr drive and the tires were in the 46-48 psi range! When I got home I checked the manual and realized the tires were off and aired them down to 32. Much better ride.

I think the story is, they pump them up for shipping to reduce bouncing around as much and dealer may do that as well to reduce flat spots from cars sitting on the lot, Or the dealer just never checks them and has no clue.

The dealers don't seem to get it, to correct this before a test drive. I have since bought another car and took a gauge with me when picking it up to adjust the tires if they did not. I also pointed out to a salesman that it might be wise to have the correct psi for a test drive otherwise the impression of the customer would be a harsh ride.

When I changed to wider tires, the tire store pumped them up to 45-50 psi. All they do is tires, and they are evidently also clueless as to the recommendation on the door jam.:dunno:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts