Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was surprised when I was driving my 2016 Charger the other day and scrolled down to the tire pressure display on the dash. There was a substantial discrepancy in the readings. One was high enough that when I stopped for gas I bled a little bit of air out of the tire. So last night after washing it, I checked the tire pressure. I made sure all were exactly at 31 according to my digital gauge (which reads about a pound low). Then I started the car and scrolled down to the tire pressure display. The readings were between 32 and 37. In my mind, that's way too much of a variance and is certainly useless for keeping an eye on tire pressure. I check mine religiously and would never rely on the dash readout, but still, that's too much variance to be acceptable.

·
Premium Member
9,358 Posts
Same thing on my 2016 Wrangler, I filled them to 35 dead cold and next day they read 38-40 psi. My Challenger however all stay with a pound of each other. It is an odd occurrence.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I find mine have been very accurate. However, if I add or subtract air before or after strip it can take the car a few passes or miles to re-learn the pressure.

·
Registered
Furious Fuchsia 2010 Challenger R/T Classic A5
371 Posts
While autocrossing I was kind of disappointed that I didn't have EVIC on my 2010 to read tire pressures...glad I'm not missing anything! Even a 1# difference can be critical in racing times.

I will now just happily stick to manual tire pressure readings with my handy dandy Made in USA Tanner gauge. Thanks for posting on the inconsistencies!

·
Registered
35 Posts
My new 2017 SXT has the same issue. It was reading in the low 40s for all the tires. I set all of them cold at 32psi with my gauge and drove it a couple of miles. When the dash readout updated, it's still showing 35-37 psi. So basically worthless for checking actual tire pressure. I was wondering if there was a way to calibrate the system, but I haven't found anything so far.

·
Registered
14,278 Posts
My new 2017 SXT has the same issue. It was reading in the low 40s for all the tires. I set all of them cold at 32psi with my gauge and drove it a couple of miles. When the dash readout updated, it's still showing 35-37 psi. So basically worthless for checking actual tire pressure. I was wondering if there was a way to calibrate the system, but I haven't found anything so far.
If you set them at 32 cold and then drove on them they will will warm up and read higher, my TPMS is dead on accurate.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you set them at 32 cold and then drove on them they will will warm up and read higher, my TPMS is dead on accurate.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
No, I understand that, but I didn't drive it long enough for that to be an issue. It was still reading in the 40s after I set them to 32, after driving for a few minutes, they came down to the 35-37 range. Even after being parked in the garage all day, it's still showing 35 or greater and they're set at 32. Just not accurate at all.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Never check or adjust air pressure hot.Check in the morning after car has sat overnight.My 15 and my wife's 17 Scat pack are right on when I start the car each morning.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
I have two tire pressure gauges that both read different, one of them is close to the cars gauge and I happen to know the other one is way out, the gauge in the car seems a bit random some times (or is it THAT accurate?) For me the reading may or may not be accurate, it does not matter (to a degree) as long as it is consistent to keep my tires at equal pressures.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have found that the TPMS is useless in 3 out of the 3 vehicles I have owned that had it. It is almost NEVER right...and just stops working after awhile.
It has been so inaccurate, that I refuse to even fix it when it quits working. :dead:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Mine are not accurate either. When I picked up the car they were all about 5psi high, checked multiple times with 3 different gauges all on cold tires by myself and the dealer. Somewhere around the second week one of them came down to only 2 or 3 high and then about a month later the other 3 came down to about 2 or 3 high. On all of my previous cars and trucks with TPMS, two Chargers, one Challenger and two Rams they were always dead on. I am going in for my first oil change on the Scat soon and will have this looked at along with another issue I'm having with the radio.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts