Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tires have all been at 32 psi for months. In the early morning, sometimes it’s 29 psi with the cold, but 33 when I get to work. I get in the car today, and all 4 tires read 45 psi?!? I figured it would settle out, but I drove 150 miles today, still all 45 psi. I didn’t bother checking with a meter because, well, I didn’t put air in them overnight, so...

Any ideas what to do about the sensor? Anyone else ever seen this?

·
Super Moderator
15,474 Posts
How old is your Challenger? The lithium ion batteries inside TPMS sensors may last anywhere from five to 10 years. Five to six years is a more typical lifespan for older TPMS sensors.

Also, many tire manufacturers, such as Firestone and Goodyear, estimate that tires lose one psi for every 10 degrees the outside temperature drops. Your warning light should be triggered by at least a 25% drop in tire pressure. Conversely, under hot weather and highway conditions, the temperature of the air inside the tire rises about 50 degrees. That increases the pressure inside the tire about 5 psi.

Driving your car to work will raise your tires' air pressure slightly. Check your tires with a good air pressure gauge when your car has been parked for at least three hours.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,714 Posts
My tires have all been at 32 psi for months. In the early morning, sometimes it’s 29 psi with the cold, but 33 when I get to work. I get in the car today, and all 4 tires read 45 psi?!? I figured it would settle out, but I drove 150 miles today, still all 45 psi. I didn’t bother checking with a meter because, well, I didn’t put air in them overnight, so...

Have you had it serviced recently, tires rotated, inspected? Some garage might have "helped" you. There is an amazing amount of people out there that read the side of the tire to find out what pressure to fill to, and set it to the "Max".

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How old is your Challenger? The lithium ion batteries inside TPMS sensors may last anywhere from five to 10 years. Five to six years is a more typical lifespan for older TPMS sensors.

Also, many tire manufacturers, such as Firestone and Goodyear, estimate that tires lose one psi for every 10 degrees the outside temperature drops. Your warning light should be triggered by at least a 25% drop in tire pressure. Conversely, under hot weather and highway conditions, the temperature of the air inside the tire rises about 50 degrees. That increases the pressure inside the tire about 5 psi.

Driving your car to work will raise your tires' air pressure slightly. Check your tires with a good air pressure gauge when your car has been parked for at least three hours.
Good info! I have a 2019 SXT, so probably not a battery issue.

Have you had it serviced recently, tires rotated, inspected? Some garage might have "helped" you. There is an amazing amount of people out there that read the side of the tire to find out what pressure to fill to, and set it to the "Max".
I hadn’t thought of that, but just Friday I had it at the mechanic because the washer fluid line broke again (and with its location, I can’t get at it like I can when that happens on our Town and Country). I didn’t think anything of it, since it wasn’t there for a tire problem!

·
Registered
2,448 Posts

The first thing I would do is check them with a gauge. No need to jump to assuming there is an issue with the sensors, if it turns out they're actually showing the pressure that's in the tire. Obviously I have no explanation as to how that extra air got into your tires overnight, but still should rule that out.

Reactions: jkeitz

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The first thing I would do is check them with a gauge. No need to jump to assuming there is an issue with the sensors, if it turns out they're actually showing the pressure that's in the tire. Obviously I have no explanation as to how that extra air got into your tires overnight, but still should rule that out.
I checked it with a meter and it was actually 45. Someone at my mechanics shop must have “helped” me. I let the air out down to 32 and it’s all good now.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,849 Posts
I'd not expect all 4 sensors to go bad at the same time, so if there were really a problem, I'd suspect the control module. Good to hear it was something simple. Welcome to Challengertalk ;)

A Guy

Reactions: jkeitz

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd not expect all 4 sensors to go bad at the same time, so if there were really a problem, I'd suspect the control module. Good to hear it was something simple. Welcome to Challengertalk ;)

A Guy
Thanks! What a great forum! I just bought my first Challenger in September, I'd wanted one for ages, but had to wait until the kids were off to college. I can't get over the Challenger community. Whenever I pass another Challenger, I get a wave or a flash of the headlights. I put a question here and had answers in minutes. What a great community to be a part of!

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
750 Posts
Thanks! What a great forum! I just bought my first Challenger in September, I'd wanted one for ages, but had to wait until the kids were off to college. I can't get over the Challenger community. Whenever I pass another Challenger, I get a wave or a flash of the headlights. I put a question here and had answers in minutes. What a great community to be a part of!
I had my first Challenger gesture from another the other day. We were returning from a trip and were behind it a long while and i think he stayed ahead of me on purpose lol. When they went to turn off he put his window down and gave the ✌ sign to us . Ive had mine a bit over a year.

·
Super Moderator
15,474 Posts
I checked it with a meter and it was actually 45. Someone at my mechanics shop must have “helped” me. I let the air out down to 32 and it’s all good now.
The person who put air in your tires must not have used an air pressure gauge.

·
Registered
16,230 Posts
The person who put air in your tires must not have used an air pressure gauge.
Or read the tires instead of the pressure sticker in the door jamb.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts