Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guy here, had my new Challenger for a week and noticed Saturday that i had low tire pressure. Anyone had this problem? have the 20" chrome wheels.

·
Premium Member
9,215 Posts
Welcome to the forum, were all four the same or just one? What was the pressure in them when you noticed the low condition? Maybe they skipped it prepping the car?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
maybe they all were a little low, but the right rear was the lowest. i'll keep eye on them. never had tires with so little side wall so didn't know if this was normal, sure hope not.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,321 Posts
I'm also new to the big wheels arena. I keep 40psi in my tires and it seems to keep the air in them without much of a problem. They may lose a couple psi a month.

Pressure will vary with temp outside and also if you're checking them right after driving. The heat built up in the tires while driving will give a higher temperature reading.

1,931 Posts
The outside temp is your problem. My pressure dropped 5lbs last week when the cold spell came thru. You are just north of me so your weather is similar to mine. 32lbs is the correct pressure. you might run 35 until the weather gets more consistent.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, really looking forward to this site, could get fired! but hey it's midlife time who cares.:saythat:

·
Premium Member
9,215 Posts
Fill your tires when cold or put a few in too many the night before and adjust to correct number in the morning. This is why they put nitrogen in tires, it's much more stable than air during temperature fluctuations.

·
Premium Member
7,291 Posts
You do know that regular air is already 78% nitrogen, right?

·
Registered
160 Posts
New guy here, had my new Challenger for a week and noticed Saturday that i had low tire pressure. Anyone had this problem? have the 20" chrome wheels.
Does your car have the TPM..tire pressure monitor located in the EVIC? Electronic Vehicle Information Center...

Tires do lose about 1 lb of pressure per month normally. :wave:

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
lol pure nitrogen is still more stable, but I guess it really only matters to racers in practice.

but that didn't keep me from bleeding it when the car had 40lbs in the tires from the dealer. Don't know wtf that was all about
Fill your tires when cold or put a few in too many the night before and adjust to correct number in the morning. This is why they put nitrogen in tires, it's much more stable than air during temperature fluctuations.
You do know that regular air is already 78% nitrogen, right?
The ideal gas law applies to both, the problem isn't "air" vs "nitrogen" but the moisture content of "air" compared to dry nitrogen. Temperature will affect both air and nitrogen the same, they'll both expand and contract similarly.

The problem is that air isn't dry and the moisture makes pressure unpredictable.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Same here, got cold and 1 tire tripped the TPMS warning. It was 25lbs and the others were 26lbs... I kicked them all up to 35lbs since it's stayed pretty chilly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts