Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new 2018 Challenger SXT. The factory tires are too skinny. They are 245/45/20. I believe the wheel is 20x8. I would like some tires a little wider. Help!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,021 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk jholmes. You'll need wider wheels. You can go 255, but it's not worth the cost for such a minor change in width. A Guy

·
Super Moderator
13,871 Posts
I would buy a new set of 20 inch wheels that are 9 inches wide. You can then go with a staggered "old school" set up with 245/45-20s on the front and 275/40-20s on the rear.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Of course you sacrifice tire wear by not being able to rotate tires, if you're wider on the back. All depends on how deep your wallet is and what your prioroties.

I see people complaining all the time about the 245/45/20s being "too skinny". For every day driving, there's nothing wrong with this width. Now if you're going to the strip, or the track, you may want more rubber on the road. But get out your calculator, calculate your contact patch on a 245 and then on a 255 or 275, compare to the weight of the car, and see if you think it's worth the effort and money.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts