Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Shaker
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my Challenger, it had 2 new tires on the rear and original tires on the front. The fronts need to be replaced and the backs are basically new.

I want to move the backs to the front.

When selecting a tire for the rear, can I go wider on the same rim?

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
651 Posts
Just get new ones to match the back ??? What year is your ride ???

I have 3500 miles on my tires and have to change them due to being 5 years old...…………...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a 2016 R/T Shaker with 20" wheels.
Im either going to get a matching replacement or go wider in the rear.
I think it would look more like a drag car and help with traction if I went wider in the rear.
I just didn't want to buy new rims.

I'm not sure about what rim width I have.
Current tires are 245/45ZR20

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
You can go with 275/40r20s in the back and will fit your car fine. I have the 275/40r20 all around and have a 2016 Scat Pack Shaker.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger RT Plus
343 Posts
I have a 2016 RT+. Mine has 8inch wide wheels and the previous owner put 275’s on it, however, everything I’ve read online says you should have at least a 9 inch wheel for 275’s, so that being the case, a reputable big name tire store MIGHT not put 275’s on an 8 inch wheel. Doesn’t hurt to try though.
I love the look of the 275’s, however they’re so wide that I had to put splash guards on the car because I was wiping road tar and grime off the sides every day.

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,296 Posts
It's a 2016 R/T Shaker with 20" wheels.
Im either going to get a matching replacement or go wider in the rear.
I think it would look more like a drag car and help with traction if I went wider in the rear.
I just didn't want to buy new rims.

I'm not sure about what rim width I have.
Current tires are 245/45ZR20
That’s all well and fine to stagger the sizes, especially if you decide to replace the other two later with the same, larger size. Otherwise.....rotations will be somewhat out of the question in the future.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,220 Posts
255's are about it on stock 8" wheels. I'm running 255's all around on my retro 9" wheels and love them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mine 245 45 20 on front 255 45 20 on back looks great, I would keep the profile the same as in my case. I think with mileage most of us put on these cars rotation is not an issue, you either wear out the back or they get replaced for age rather than wear.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,220 Posts
Mine 245 45 20 on front 255 45 20 on back looks great, I would keep the profile the same as in my case. I think with mileage most of us put on these cars rotation is not an issue, you either wear out the back or they get replaced for age rather than wear.
I'm getting 31k-33k per set no matter the brand. Luckily the last sets, Continental and Nitto, came up short of their mileage claims so I got credit back. I keep them rotated ever 5k miles.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the advice.
I was thinking about rotating them and I may end up with wife's all around after the fronts wear down.
Anyone have pictures of factory fronts and wide rears?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts