Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2020 scatpack
622 Posts
Hello everyone , i need some advice regarding my tires.

They are the stock 305 Pirellis that come on a widebody.

My first oil change is coming up and I never knew about “tire roatation” if it wasn't for the Internet.

Wondering if It'll save me or not.

At 3k miles my rear tires are almost done and I don't know how is that possible.

Sure, Idrove it like I stole it everytime but still, 3k miles?

I read tens and tens of threads here and your tires go up to 15k miles easy.

The fronts seem fine.

my questions is : if i rotate and bring the worn ones to the front ... will i have trouble cornering?

I love cornering hard ,but i will avoid it for now.

Should I rotate? Or, is having these tires up front bad news?

I can't spend any money on tires for now and I need the best advice you guys have.

Traction is good btw and there are no trouble there yet.

A pic of the rears"

Front

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT 392
304 Posts
Rotating tires usually happens around 5000 miles.

Rotating tires will help with keep the wear on the the tires even.

It's hard to tell in your pictures but those tires don't look too bad to me.

I think, normally, when tires get down to 3-4 mm of tread it's time to replace.

Try and find a tread depth measuring device at a local auto parts store or about any place that sells automotive parts/tools.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 scatpack
622 Posts
Rotating tires usually happens around 5000 miles.

Rotating tires will help with keep the wear on the the tires even.

Irs hard to tell in your pictures but those tired don't look to bad to me.

I think normally when tires get down to 3-4 mm of tread it's time to replace.

Try and find a tread depth measuring device at a local auto parts store or about any place that sells automotive parts/tools.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Thanks, I'll diff buy the measuring device. I bet Ace hardware has it ... should I go ahead and rotate at 3k or not in your opinion.

Since I'll be at the dealership, anyway, for the oil change and I don't have any tools to do it at home beside a regular jack.

As for now, Ineed to find a coin in my old bags to try the Lincoln head method, lol.

How accurate do you estimate the coin method is in your opinion, compared to a measuring device:LOL: Will be back with updates:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2019 M6 Scat Pack
827 Posts
There are wear bars in the grooves of the tire. When they are even with the tread, that means new tires.

·
Registered
16,218 Posts
Depends on who rotates them, the dealer? Hell no.

Me? Yeah I'd probably do it but three seems too soon.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 scatpack
622 Posts
There are wear bars in the grooves of the tire. When they are even with the tread, that means new tires.
Live and learn.

The front tires has 3x times the meat compared to the back, based on the wear bars.

The rear is still not even with the tire though.

Safe to rotate for cornering?

·
Registered
2020 scatpack
622 Posts
Depends on who rotates them, the dealer? Hell no.

Me? Yeah I'd probably do it but three seems too soon.

Yes the dealer ... may I know why hell no, lol ... if it is just rotating... what could go wrong? How can they rob me? Enlighten me:ROFLMAO:

I can do it anywhere else, I guess. But with all the sensors and stuff, Idoubt anyone can do it.

Ahhhh, the sensors , the sensors. Who else beside the dealer knows how to deal with the tech stuff?

·
Registered
16,218 Posts
Dealers will often scratch your wheels with the impact wrench, maybe you will be OK but I have never let a dealer touch my wheels.

If you do, make sure your car is spotlessly clean and maybe even put some tape around the lugs.

Reactions: KWSPWB

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I recently rotated my 305s at 3,000 miles. I must say that the tread was not as "seasoned" as yours :)
I did it myself and took the opportunity to clean the backsides of the wheels at the same time.

Bring the rears forward on the same side and cross the fronts going back.

·
Registered
2020 scatpack
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dealers will often scratch your wheels with the impact wrench, maybe you will be OK but I have never let a dealer touch my wheels.

If you do, make sure your car is spotlessly clean and maybe even put some tape around the lugs.

thanks a lot everyone.

i know my wheels are spotless because i clean them every now and then.

will diff put tape on them if i had the dealer do it.

glad i made this thread. So much stuff learned that i did not know.

I recently rotated my 305s at 3,000 miles. I must say that the tread was not as "seasoned" as yours :)
I did it myself and took the opportunity to clean the backsides of the wheels at the same time.

Bring the rears forward on the same side and cross the fronts going back.
I want to do them my self but i know nothing about the sensors , and where are they and how many and how easy Is it to deal with them.

i will go ahead and see what is there beside the pressure sensor.

again thanks everyone for the knowledge.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
The sensors are no problem. They re-learn their locations after a couple miles.
In fact I actually have a full size spare and I run a 5 tire rotation pattern.

Reactions: KWSPWB

·
Registered
2020 scatpack
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so just take off and rotate based on what i read so far?

and also i googled that 50th anniversary version you have in your signature ... one beautiful car you have there man. Diff a unique one! Enjoy 😉

·
Registered
16,218 Posts
I do that 5-tire on my truck myself and it's great. So easy to do as you only have to lift one side of the car at a time. Can still do the same without the full size, just use a temp spare until you get them all in right spot.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
If the excessive wear on your rear ties is uneven it would suggest alignment issues.
If it is even that suggests traction control issues:ROFLMAO:

·
Super Moderator
15,446 Posts
Your TPMS sensors will not be an issue since you are not removing the tires from the wheels.

Also, it looks like you will be okay with rotating your rear tires to the front. Get in the habit of rotating them every 5,000 miles.
Any competent garage can rotate them for you- no need to go to the dealer.

There is an old saying that goes,"If you want to play, you have to pay." Hard cornering, burnouts, donuts, etc. will rapidly wear out any tire. I assume that you have a summer tread. That type of tire has a soft compound for high performance but wears out much sooner than all-season tires.

·
Registered
2020 scatpack
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I do that 5-tire on my truck myself and it's great. So easy to do as you only have to lift one side of the car at a time. Can still do the same without the full size, just use a temp spare until you get them all in right spot.

that must take a whole day to do.

guess there is no other way if you do not have the machine that lift’s the car up in the air on all 4 corners.

If the excessive wear on your rear ties is uneven it would suggest alignment issues.
If it is even that suggests traction control issues:ROFLMAO:
what lol ??? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2020 scatpack
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Your TPMS sensors will not be an issue since you are not removing the tires from the wheels.

Also, it looks like you will be okay with rotating your rear tires to the front. Get in the habit of rotating them every 5,000 miles.
Any competent garage can rotate them for you- no need to go to the dealer.

There is an old saying that goes,"If you want to play, you have to pay." Hard cornering, burnouts, donuts, etc. will rapidly wear out any tire. I assume that you have a summer tread. That type of tire has a soft compound for high performance but wears out much sooner than all-season tires.
stock all season’s so far

can’t find summer tires anywhere here ... i asked so many shops so far but nothing in my size.

it is brutal summer at least 10 months of the year here and no rain so they would be better than all seasons.

i bet i’ll find some with further searching down the line.

i had my extreme first time ownership fun with The car for now and it will Never be driven this hard again “hopefully”. Even half what i did to it is hard so i’m fine with it lol.

i get the picture now , i’ll do it anywhere else then. “ got to ask about warranty first” ... ya that’s how much it sucks here with the dealer ... and i still dont have AMBER lights lol.

How did this software end up in my car is still a mystery lol.

They still insist that the 2020 widebody scatpack doesn’t have that option.

i’m done with that lol.

again , appreciate all the replies!

·
Registered
2020 scatpack
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
while we are at it ... a small stupid question.

there will still be a wire to dissconnect the Reconnect even though i’m just changing the tires places?

cant find a youtube video showing it , any help on its location is appreciated.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts